• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What is Nose Down/Up?

bmains

Hello,

I've just recently come across the concept of nose down/up... and I'm kind of confused. I think, from what I read, nose down is when the very front of the disc is pointed in a downward position? Is that right?

Also, what is nose down and up in relation to a hyzer/anhyzer shot?

Thanks.

You are correct in your thinking. Nose angle is pretty intuitive. Just think about an airplane. You can throw hyzer/anhyzer nose up or nose down.

Nose is a tricky term so i often clarify with the terms front and rear of the disc relative to the target. Nose position is different hyzer vs flat vs anhyzer shot. Essentially the nose is where the wind is coming from if the disc was stationary but had the same vector and velocity. So left of front for hyzer, front of the disc for a flat shot and right of center of the outer edge of the disc for an anny.

It is trickier than that too. A nose down shot can rise as long as it is hyzered and once it flips to flat it won't rise and has the front and rear of the disc level. If you threw a shot that doesn't rise a neutral nose angle is required. If the disc dove to the ground the nose would be down and if the disc started to rise despite being flat hyzer wise the nose would be up as long as the thrower is upright and the arm reaches back at the same height and pulls at that height to the ripping of the disc out of the hand.

An extreme nose down shot would apex high and flat and have the front lower than the rear so that the disc dives down like you had thrown up to down from a hill top. That is beneficial for throwing far and riding a rear wind. And insanely difficult to pull off.

bmains said:
Hello,

I've just recently come across the concept of nose down/up... and I'm kind of confused. I think, from what I read, nose down is when the very front of the disc is pointed in a downward position? Is that right?
With respect to the trajectory of the disc, yes. Are you familiar with the flight dynamic terms roll, pitch and yaw? If so, nose angle is pitch.

If you think about lift then realizing why nose down it important is easy. If the disc is flat, then the lift it generates is straight up. If the nose is pointed down then the lift the disc sees is partially in the forward direction. If the nose is up then the lift is partially in the backwards direction. If you want the disc to go far then having the lift of the disc also push the disc forwards is an advantage.

Also, what is nose down and up in relation to a hyzer/anhyzer shot?

Thanks.
This might help:

http://www.discgolfreview.com/resources/articles/angles.shtml