• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What is the best way to log/track distance improvements?

I like the trimmed mean of 5, taken from speedcubing. Throw 5 max distance drives on flat ground without significant wind sometime during your field session after warming up, disregard the longest and shortest drive and take the mean of the remaining three. Store it in a sheet with the date and build up a cool graph over time.

I like to use comparable discs and shot shapes for all drives, the point isn't to figure out my theoretical max drive distance with a 140g blizzard Katana in 30 mph tailwind, but to get an idea of how my power is progressing over time. Personally I use distance drivers for these, ones I'd use on the course.

Throw 10 discs, measure the longest add 50 feet because you were a little tired after all those throws then round up to the nearest 100 and tell everyone that's how far you throw.

I keep things fairly simple when measuring distance. I throw in open areas that have definable landmarks (trees, benches, fences, etc). I use Google Earth to measure how far I'm throwing.

Obviously you want to see distance gains on your average throws, not just an occasional freakishly long throw.

I know that my best measured throw is 60 feet longer than it was at the beginning of last year, but what have I really added to my game as far as distance?

I went through a period of tracking distance while I was working on developing more snap and arm speed. * My max distance increased but what really improved was my slower disc game. I think this is an area of the game over looked by alot of players. I'm an old dude, but the ability to throw putters/mids 275-300ft has been a game changer. A guy in his 30s I routinely play with can throw mids 375+ now and he feels the same way. So I'm guessing a 60ft increase in max distance should also reflect some gains with slower speed discs, and that is a huge bonus as far as "what have I really added to my game" imop.

* Tracking putter distance will help add snap. Tracking overstable disc distance will help add speed.

I went through a period of tracking distance while I was working on developing more snap and arm speed. * My max distance increased but what really improved was my slower disc game. I think this is an area of the game over looked by alot of players. I'm an old dude, but the ability to throw putters/mids 275-300ft has been a game changer. A guy in his 30s I routinely play with can throw mids 375+ now and he feels the same way. So I'm guessing a 60ft increase in max distance should also reflect some gains with slower speed discs, and that is a huge bonus as far as "what have I really added to my game" imop.

* Tracking putter distance will help add snap. Tracking overstable disc distance will help add speed.

That is actually part of my game that hasn't really translated. I haven't really found any increased in distance with slower speed discs.

I think the biggest reason is that I've virtually abandoned throwing mids and putters hard on course. A year ago, I might walk up to something 480 feet and throw a driver, then try to throw a standstill putter fairly hard to 200 feet. Now I throw a driver, and throw a little touch 150 foot shot. There was another hole that I'd throw a Roc pretty hard for 2 straight shots. Now, I throw a driver and lay up from 125 feet.

So that is one of the things that I really want to work on while I'm doing field work. Additionally, this is a place where I'd like to see if I can find a bit more distance by trying different discs.

I like the trimmed mean of 5, taken from speedcubing. Throw 5 max distance drives on flat ground without significant wind sometime during your field session after warming up, disregard the longest and shortest drive and take the mean of the remaining three. Store it in a sheet with the date and build up a cool graph over time.

I like to use comparable discs and shot shapes for all drives, the point isn't to figure out my theoretical max drive distance with a 140g blizzard Katana in 30 mph tailwind, but to get an idea of how my power is progressing over time. Personally I use distance drivers for these, ones I'd use on the course.

I like this a lot.

I've only got a handful of shots that count, so I get that feeling of pressure for those shots. And I'm not spending a bunch of time tracking everything.

Maybe throw distance drivers every time and rotate other categories as a 2nd batch of five.

I was literally just talking to a buddy about this the other day. There were a couple holes at Hudson Mills this past weekend where I felt the shot shape was putter/mid, nice slow drift one way, then nestle down flat. But at 275-300' they're just outside my reach so I had to decide between getting there with a fairway or being 50' short with a mid. Ultimately I went mid to avoid any skipping and hopefully get a smaller kick if I did miss my line and go into the woods.

It seems like that "should" be one of the bigger improvements in score as you add distance, the ability to throw discs with less ground play when it's not advantageous.