• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What I've learned so far about distance

SW, how do you feel the front side lat during your throw? That's something I experienced one day months ago, where I felt like a springy coil unwinding during my throw...and I've never been able to recreate it. My shots were all 400-425 and felt automatic and easy.

Is this the feel that should be aimed for...of the front lat tugging the arm? It's hard to describe. And do you have any body positions/drills to help experience this? Or is this not what to go for...
It's the door frame drill. The lat is stretched/loaded as your weight(you) move forward and the disc stays back.

Here are my thoughts...

That everyone claims to have it...and then they are really noodle-arms away from the keyboard.

Everyone wants it...and they will plateau with way less than what they expect to get.

No matter how "secure" you are when you voice your distance capability, you secretly want more.

If you could buy it...disc golf would instantly become more expensive for every one here.

Some would gladly sell their soul to have super human DG ability.

As for me, I am happy to max out with a few 310-320' ( with mainly Fairway drivers ) shots on the course from time to time and probably average 275'-290' on longer holes on the course. I know my limitations and have no delusions/expectations of ever being able to push a disc any further.

Last edited:
I have been experiencing this too with huge success ^^^
I've noticed engaging this way helps me keep the tension pulling through without losing balance. I'm actually back to watching all these drills again. They're the gifts that keep in giving.

xperiencing this too with huge success ^^^ (the lat tension)t

As far as the controlled distance quest, it's the carrot in front of me. I used to think it was a myth until I saw it many times on my local course. Then I started achieving it myself. I began lamenting about topping out 250' with mids and very little more with drivers. Today I finally hit 250'...with my shield and harp putters. I'm sending my Truth's out to almost 300' consistently now. It does work. And people notice. And the courses are becoming more fun because reading the intended lines makes sense and seems more achievable. I'm still throwing at a standstill.

xperiencing this too with huge success ^^^ (the lat tension)t

As far as the controlled distance quest, it's the carrot in front of me. I used to think it was a myth until I saw it many times on my local course. Then I started achieving it myself. I began lamenting about topping out 250' with mids and very little more with drivers. Today I finally hit 250'...with my shield and harp putters. I'm sending my Truth's out to almost 300' consistently now. It does work. And people notice. And the courses are becoming more fun because reading the intended lines makes sense and seems more achievable. I'm still throwing at a standstill.

Awesome, sounds like things are going quite well!

And the internet distance is definitely a real thing...I see it on here all the time. Guys want critiques on their form and claim 400+ power...then you watch their vids and know they are lucky to hit 320'. The cross section of disc golfers on a site like this has a lot more guys who put time into their technique than the average person on the course...average guys on the course probably hit 275'. Yeah lots of people on here say they hit 400+ and they probably do...but there's barely any that I know in real life. I've seen it from quite a few guys, but also know how many guys struggle to scrape 350'. People hitting over 300' are above average considering all disc golfers, I think they just feel the need to either juice up their numbers when they post here, or they legitimately have no idea how far they throw. I've definitely come across honest guys who say they believe they can hit 375-400'...then you ask them if they can throw over whatever field or park that hole and they'll give you the honest answer...which turns out they're more in the 325'+ area (they just had no idea what the real numbers were). Lots of people just don't know how far 450' is.

I think that can harm others sometimes, because you start wondering why you're stuck at 300' and it seems like everyone else is throwing Teebirds 400'...but most people are not.

I will say that a mislabeled tee sign (400') had me VERY impressed with my big arm after about 8 months of playing. Turns out the basket had been moved & they never fixed the sign. Probably 300' in real life... But I was a rock star for the week before someone told me.

So since i wrote the OP, i thought i should maybe clarify what i meant about being relaxed because i primarily meant during the initial phases of my throw. i still try and go fast and grip tight at the hit but i personally found that my distance improved when my focus was on having a loose and fluid rhythm to my run up and reach back.

Here are my thoughts...

That everyone claims to have it...and then they are really noodle-arms away from the keyboard.

Everyone wants it...and they will plateau with way less than what they expect to get.

No matter how "secure" you are when you voice your distance capability, you secretly want more.

If you could buy it...disc golf would instantly become more expensive for every one here.

Some would gladly sell their soul to have super human DG ability.

As for me, I am happy to max out with a few 310-320' ( with mainly Fairway drivers ) shots on the course from time to time and probably average 275'-290' on longer holes on the course. I know my limitations and have no delusions/expectations of ever being able to push a disc any further.

I plateaued at 325' for years and the longer i stayed at that plateau the harder the battle was mentally for me. I thought that i had discovered my limitations and that throwing farther than that wasn't in the cards for me. I thought i picked the game up too late in life to teach my body to do those things.

I'm finding more and more that these thoughts were impediments i put in my own way to try and make peace with the fact i wasn't able to do the things i wanted to do. i believe that it's never too late to reinvent part of one's game and that there is no reason i can't be a better golfer at 40 than i was at 28.

Even though i have been between a 940 and 965 rated golfer for almost 5 seasons now, i will still be putting in time in the field believing that i can improve and get to my goal of being a 1000 rated player at some point. I won't keep it a secret that i want more from my game. If i end up falling short of my goals it will still be time well spent if i remember to enjoy the journey.

Awesome, sounds like things are going quite well!

And the internet distance is definitely a real thing...I see it on here all the time. Guys want critiques on their form and claim 400+ power...then you watch their vids and know they are lucky to hit 320'. The cross section of disc golfers on a site like this has a lot more guys who put time into their technique than the average person on the course...average guys on the course probably hit 275'. Yeah lots of people on here say they hit 400+ and they probably do...but there's barely any that I know in real life. I've seen it from quite a few guys, but also know how many guys struggle to scrape 350'. People hitting over 300' are above average considering all disc golfers, I think they just feel the need to either juice up their numbers when they post here, or they legitimately have no idea how far they throw. I've definitely come across honest guys who say they believe they can hit 375-400'...then you ask them if they can throw over whatever field or park that hole and they'll give you the honest answer...which turns out they're more in the 325'+ area (they just had no idea what the real numbers were). Lots of people just don't know how far 450' is.

I think that can harm others sometimes, because you start wondering why you're stuck at 300' and it seems like everyone else is throwing Teebirds 400'...but most people are not.

Ok, very true. I suppose I just took for granted that people would be honest about their abilities. To me, I wouldn't waste my time on a disc golf forum just to boast considering our sport is ignored at best, generally confusing to most, and often (at worst) laughed at (don't get me started on the irony/ignorance of those people). That being said, maybe internet distance was a good thing for me. By trying to keep up to high numbers reported in abundance (hell, even DGR says that any healthy male should easily be able to drive 350' plus the magnificently lanky HUB driving 400' standstills) I really buckled down to keep up and it's paying off. I have a loooooong way to go, but honestly I'll always feel that way. There's a next level in some aspect of the game no matter what. Also, as I stated before, I attended a few doubles rounds in order to be around better players and I witnessed the awesome controlled distance from a few guys. Granted, it was about 20% of the group that were really ripping, but just watching taught me alot.

Also, to always make myself feel like I need to work, I try to be conservative with myself about distance when I practice. I measure objects/landmarks with the Udisc GPS measurer and then I round down to the lowest 1\4 in the x ± y distance gap as my "actual distance". That way I don't have to measure each drive.

But still, thanks again, and yes I'm seeing progress! I'm almost to where I want to post updated vids to compare against my first form recordings. It feels so different now. Doesn't change the fact that I feel like I haven't even pulled out of the station yet...long journey ahead!!

@ash81 my first sentence was directed at you (the congratulations), and the further paragraphs about internet distance were a general statement and regarding another comment.

I did the same as you, and read the numbers that "should" be possible and aimed for them. I still can't hit the ones I want to (350' Roc, 400' Teebird, 450' Destroyer) but it's still a goal. Turned out that after a lot of work, once I played some local rounds like you did, I found out I could already out throw a large % of people. But there was still that small ratio, as you found, who absolutely crushed effortless distance...showing that those numbers are real, and that I still want to figure out how.

Google maps, and throwing in soccer fields is great for me. I can now throw a certain disc at a new field and know instantly is this a 300' field or 100m field (330')...then I can judge the rest of my throws accordingly.

Mind if I put that on my tombstone? Btw, you have not seen magnificently lanky until you play with Clard.
Lol, you are quite lanky, but Clard maybe part orangutan. I was the George Costanza of the group.

Mind if I put that on my tombstone? Btw, you have not seen magnificently lanky until you play with Clard.

:thmbup:

Internet distance is nothing compared to RL distance. Or "this one friend of mine" distance ...

While I understand exaggerating on line, I still know people can do it. It's the simple fact that it is obtainable that drives me forward. I know it can be done with excellent form and dedicated practice. What opened my eyes and lit a fire under my butt was playing for small cash in my hometown. I knew it would attract the better players and hoped to learn a few things. Seeing my opponents achieve contolled distances I've never witnessed in person before, I had an unfiltered view without camera distortion. What I learned was that I had a long way to go, but it could most certainly be done.

Also, right before I dropped out (I'll be dropping back in after I have a more consistent game) it felt good to hear one local pro go "Damn, he's hitting 300' from a standstill", but realistically it was more like 270'. It's paying off though.

Also, I'm still trying to figure out this finger push thing. I think I understand the quarters example (just where you would push a flat quarter acrose a table using forward thumb pressure??) but I'm missing how it should feel on the disc.

Lol, you are quite lanky, but Clard maybe part orangutan. I was the George Costanza of the group.

:clap:

I was in a similar mind set for a while. Hey..at my age 300-310 keeps you in the game at least, allows for some pars on the longer holes and birdie ops on the shorter ones. However...with a few tweaks...I added another 30-50ft with the occasional bomb even longer. And it does make a difference during competition. Keep at it.....