• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What shots to "master" in what order?

Overall, I think people massively over-rate the importance and easy of improvement on long putts. In my experience, it's much easier to improve consistency and distance on drives, and those things have a larger scoring impact anyways.

I think this is key for people to understand about putting. Practicing a bunch of outside the circle putts isn't as beneficial as being able to hit 15-20' putts consistently. I believe Eagle or Sexton said this in a video: they don't practice long putts, but practice up to about 30' and then see benefit in rounds. When I played basketball, I experienced the same thing. My best games from 3-point range were after hitting free throws or 15-footers, not after shooting lights out from 25' during warm ups. So lately, my putting practice involves being confident from inside the circle, but I've made a few long ones during tournament rounds.

Not sure what to say about drives or even approaches/scrambles. I think every disc golfer needs to grasp his or her own ability to hit shots, and also understand the kinds of mistakes they tend to make. Practice accordingly, and develop an internal dialogue that helps avoid your pitfalls in rounds.

There's really no shot that you shouldn't try to master. Some come much easier to you than others do, so learn to use those shots. Meanwhile, pick up the other ones and perfect them. Disc golf is dynamic and it's no problem if you score better with less traditional shots.

Last edited:
Now I am thinking what would be the best order to spend time on "mastering"

1. BH drives with putters then driving putters.
2. Putts.
3. *the mental game throw what you know
4. *mental game- nothing wrong with par
5. BH drives with mids.
6. FH drives with S fairways
7. BH drives with US then S fairways.
8. FH drives with mids.
9. Increase driver speed as necessary
10. FH putter drives, OH, upshot (which is a putt) and trick shots

* Putting or JYLY daily or between each step. Strength in the circle is strength on the field if you can bang 25 footers all day who cares how close your approach is

I realized I wasn't answering your question previously so I edited your list in the quote.. No offence intended.

I go with the CrossFit method of muscle confusion, and work on everything without needing to accomplish goals in any of them to work on something else.

Now this idea I really like... do a bit of everything so you don't get bored. One of my favourite things to do on solo rounds is bag 2-2-2 putters, mids, drivers. At every hole I play I try to hit the basket or shape a shot Left, Right and Straight using what I have in the bag. With limited discs and trying to do that I end up using different discs differently so I can get my L,R,S shots.

Last edited:
You're thinking too much about disc type and not shot type.

Learn how to throw a backhand straight (like with a neutral putter), then learn how to throw a hyzer and anhyzer. Then you can figure out how to hyzer flip and manipulate flight lines with those angles. Then learning to use those to control your landing angle. Add in the same thing with a sidearm and you've got many years of learning and a lot of shots you'd be able to cover.

Also, there's no such thing as mastering how to putt or practice putting too much, so there's always that.
I'd also emphasize lines. Take your neutral discs and throw them on hyzers, straight, annys, turnovers, etc. Repeat with understable. Lastly take overstable and practice hyzers, flex shots, spike hyzers, etc. Backhand and forehand. Slow discs to fast discs.

Think about the lines you encounter the most on your local courses and give those emphasis later.

And then putt your ass off.

1) Learn how to putt somewhat consistently within 25'.
2) learn how to drop a shot near the basket from within 150'. Hyzer/Anhyzer/straight both forehand and backhand. Mix in a few overhand shots.
3) keep working backwards from there.

These are the shots I've been focusing on over the past year and it has improved my scores by leaps and bounds. If 1 and 2 are both working for me I can score pretty well even if my drives aren't great. If either are off I don't score that great but I often avoid blowing up.

Putting is number one always. Doesn't really matter how you get to the basket but the disc must come to rest inside the basket. After that I would say:
Hyzer accuracy (ranging)
Straight shots
Turnovers/anhyzer
Rollers
Overhand
Trick shots

Not sure how to order BH and FH. I was never really a good baseball player so I started BH and have only just in the last couple years added FH. Baseball oriented folks tend to start with FH and go from there. Learning both is an absolute must. If you start with one do like I listed (or in an order you feel comfortable) and then start over with the other style. But always practice putting. I can throw far but I've had my brains beat out by players that throw short accurate shots and putt well.

Interesting way of thinking about it.

What is the difference between a putter and a driving putter?

Some people including me use a disc for putting and driving putting separate molds for me or in some cases it is as simple using a Big bead or even beaded version of the same putter mold for one job over the other.

I use a slow midrange for a driving putter as well as other uses. That Shark is usually my Star No flight Number version I got new in late 2016. I have an old Pro model I do not use as much, has less uses simply due to how much softer the plastic is.

Last edited: