• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What the big hype with ROCS??

fr0sty711

Par Member
Ok like everyone on this site and alot of people i no use rocs. i used one of my friends one day until i threw it into the river and was not that impressed with it. I am not sure what kind it was but i would like to pick 1 or 2 up because i hear they are amazing discs. My mids right now are a buzzzz and a shark. so let me no what Roc i should get since they are such amazing discs!

Roc is the best and most versatile disc in this universum. That's what the hype is for.

Is the buzz/shark combination working for you mid-range duties?

if yes, don't pick up any rocs, you already have discs doing what the roc is intended to do (any many, many players use the buzz for a midrange)

if no, then what are you missing with this combination/ what isn't working?

I don't no i just don't fell comfortable with them and i want a mid that fells comfortable in my hands and flies better i guess

I think you wont be hyped up with a Roc until 2 things happen.

1) You see someone throw 250-300 feet DEAD straight with a seasoned Roc and watch as it has virtually ZERO Fade.
and
2) You find the Roc that's right for you.

I wasn't into Rocs either forever. But then I saw a guy throwing Naked Rocs on tunnel shots on our local course. Things I was using Orcs and Starfires for, he was throwing the same drives with several Naked Rocs. He'd hyzer them, they'd hold a hyzer line. He'd throw em dead straight, they'd go straight and drop straight down... He'd throw it with some anny, and it would hold the line.
I was amazed. I talked to him about it and he suggested I find naked rocs. Because they have a flatter top. Just something with the way that they stamp em that makes em fly a certain way.

I now carry 3 Rocs.
1) One is my well seasoned Bottom stamped. 100% power it turns right. 50-70% power it goes dead straight for 200 ft.
2) A fairly newer Glow Roc. I bought this because it had some same flat top as my naked Roc. It does the same as my Naked Roc, but doesn't turn over as much. It's basically a less seasoned one.
3) A BRAND new bottom stamped Roc. This is my overstable/hyzer Roc. Or I can throw it with some anhyzer and it'll hold the line, straighten out, and start to try to fade back to the left (RHBH)

Rocs are just the most versatile discs out. If you're rolling your wrist and releasing with a bad angle making all your discs go to the right, the Roc will show you this. You can't mask mistakes with a Roc. It's going to go where you throw it. This is why you really need to see someone throw a roc like it's supposed to. So you can get the idea that you can go on a course with just a roc and be able to hold your own with 1 disc.

Also, if you're more comfortable with a Buzz, stick with it. It's the same concept as a Roc, just with a bit of a different feel. But one fact you cannot deny. If you can get good with a Roc or any other midrange, the rest of your game will improve. You'll learn to release the disc at the right angle, and learn to use placement more. My drives with my Orcs not only gained distance, but I was more accurate on my drives. Working on your Mid game will help the rest of your game tremendously.
If you worked on a Mid-range game and putting. You'd be deadly.

its entirely up to you really. whatever feels comfortable in your hand is the best to start out with. try two different plastics or two different molds and see how they fly and wear in.

Fr0sty711 said:
So what rocs do u recommend? weight and plastic?

I'd start with the most basic, universal, dependable Rocs of all: DX plastic Rancho Rocs. I'd grab a pair in the mid-170s (172-177g).

In a best case scenario, find someone who will sell you one new and one used Roc in approximately the same weight and plastic. That way you can see what one will do fresh and you can see how they will fly after they beat in for a while.

There is no "best Roc." -- it's whatever Roc works for you (I use a DX Rancho Roc, a Champion San Marino Roc, and a Star Ontario Roc... and I've got a FLX Buzz in the bag as well for some specialty shots). Different top pros have different favorites. Some love certain runs of the KC Rocs, some love the CE fundraisers, so love, love, love the DX Ranchos.

So since you don't know what you want, start with the basic plastic and learn how they fly. Then one day you'll get hooked. I used to throw a Shark when I first started, then lost it and spent several years without a midrange (I tried every midrange on the market during that time), then got my hands on an old DX San Marino Roc and parked a bunch of holes and hit an ace the first week I got it. After that, I added a DX Rancho to the bag, beat it in for a while, and it's racked up several aces and hit more chains than I knew was possible.

Let me predict the future for you: Once you start parking shots consistently that you used to be really erratic on. And once you start hitting chains and not worrying about blowing 100' by the basket, you're hooked. From there, the pile grows. Eventually, you'll be like the majority of the folks on this board, hoarding Rocs in your closet that you'll never throw but you know, you KNOW, are money discs if you only had time to throw them. It's a sickness, but it's a fun one. :twisted:

They're probably going to tell you to use a DX Roc. It's the best for getting beat in to straight.

Honestly, overblown hype is overblown.

The Roc is easy to beat in, in DX plastic - because DX plastic is easy to beat in.
It starts out pretty stable, so it's very forgiving. Until it beats in it's good for hyzers and shots you need fade for.
It beats in to straight, and eventually to flippy, but does so slowly because the bead it has helps it retain some stability.

Is it a good disc? Sure.

Is it the end all be all of midrange golf discs? hahahahahahahaaha

Does it have a zealotous following, and will I likely offend people with this post? Yep.

When you get down to it, with a Buzzz you get the same flight as a beat in Roc (I've had plenty of Roc purists tell me this, including the local that throws his Rocs near or past 400). If the Roc feels better, go with it...you said you weren't all that impressed, though...

DX plastic Rancho Rocs. I'd grab a pair in the mid-170s

seconded

a beat dx roc is more predictable than a buzzz. they fly similar lines, but the beat roc will still fly predictably in the wind. A beat roc will have less fade than a buzzz too....unless youre talking about a pro-d buzzz, but those are so flippy they dont resemble a roc except at altitude. A roc is better than a buzzz because it will keep its highspeed stability but lose its low speed overstability making it supremely straight. Once a roc gets really, really beat you can power it into a turnover that is extremely predictable and unlikely to turn and burn, and even then you can really lay into it with a little hyzer and wrist roll and not have to worry about it flipping...even in a nice headwind. The downside is that new rocs are fairly overstable and take a while to beat into that perfect roc flight path, but this slow break in is a plus considering they stay in the sweet spot for a really long time. After that they become your best finesse disc other than your beat putters.

One good thing about buzzes is that they are usually longer off the tee than a roc especially if youre a power player and are throwing an esp or z buzzz. Ive seen people throw a buzzz nearly 400' on a 7' high line drive. A roc needs more height to go that far, but that's another good thing about rocs. You can control how far they go with height whereas a buzzz will often carry too far if you slightly overpower it to leave you with a huge comeback throw.

There ain't no magic in Rocs, they're just discs that some people love, some hate. A few Rocs can give you shots that you'd need a couple different molds if you choose not to throw Rocs. Like Buzzz+Wasp etc. You can be a good or great golfer without throwing Teebirds or Rocs. They just make it easier ;)

Fr0sty711 said:
Ok like everyone on this site and alot of people i no use rocs. i used one of my friends one day until i threw it into the river and was not that impressed with it. I am not sure what kind it was but i would like to pick 1 or 2 up because i hear they are amazing discs. My mids right now are a buzzzz and a shark. so let me no what Roc i should get since they are such amazing discs!

Aren't Sharks and Buzzzs pretty much the same disc? I always thought the flight paths were identical when I threw them.

Rocs are just more versatile than the Shark/Buzzz.

I'm all over DGR today ... must not have a lot of work to do ... which I kind of do and don't...

I started out with the DX rocs, and loved them just like everyone else.

Lately though, the combination I'm using is kind of strange. For non-driver hyzer shots I'm using a Z Wasp, for longer straighter tunnel shots I'm using a worn Z Buzzz that I try to hyzer flip just a bit. But for controlled tunnel shots where I'm not trying to get in birdie range, I'm throwing a worn new-mold DX Ontario roc.

A buzzz flies like a broken in roc...If you arent getting the results you want with a buzzz I wouldnt expect you to have any more luck with a Roc. So i'd say keep working with the Buzzz until youre getting that dead flat straight classic buzzz flight out of it. IF you find the buzz to be too stable, throw your shark.

Rocs are the most frustrating disc in the world until you learn to throw them. Clearly, there is a reason that every Innova pro throws them with very few exceptions. I like KC rocs because the DX gets broken in too quickly for me. I like to work with the fade instead of trying to eliminate it. Dx Rocs are great to learn on, but if you have a strong throw, I personally think they turn too easily. All in all, I do buy into the roc "craze" because they are legitimately GREAT discs, but the whole "broken in" and "money" roc can be taken a bit too far.

Here's something I dug up. It's a good description of why the Roc is the best midrange:

Blake_T said:
the only things i consider to be a matter of preference with rocs and wizards is preference for "best."

4 things you want from a midrange and driving putter:
1. high speed stable: it shoudln't turn.
2. predictable low speed fade without being overbearing: it should fade every time, but by a reasonable amount.
3. range control. it shouldn't be difficult to manipulate the disc's range.
4. carry. given the speed range of "midrange" discs how far do the discs carry. note: i separate this from glide because floaty understable discs often have the best glide but terrible "carry."

so, taking various discs and rating them by each category, the frontrunners become simple:
Roc: 1. A 2. A- 3. A 4. B+. GPA = 3.75
Buzzz: 1. B+ 2. A 3. B- 4. A. GPA = 3.5
Wasp: 1. A 2. B 3. B+ 4. A-. GPA = 3.5
Kite: 1. D- 2. D- 3. B- 4. B+ GPA = 1.83

doesn't take long to find the wizard is way up there in terms of putt & approach.

Fr0sty711 said:
I don't no i just don't fell comfortable with them and i want a mid that fells comfortable in my hands and flies better i guess
I agree with most of what's been said already about why so many people throw Rocs, so I won't rehash that. One thing I will submit is that you might as well forget about finding a disc that "feels comfortable in the hand".

Disc rims are designed for flight, not to "feel good" when you hold them. What does it matter what a disc feels like when you grip it? I will also submit that if you are using a proper grip to hold the disc, you probably won't even notice what the disc feels like, with the exception of being able to feel whether or not your grip is strong and properly aligned.

If you're looking for something comfortable to put in your hand, try a pair of titties.

I like the Roc because I used to have to carry different molds of midranges. My midrange shots are much more accurate now that I just throw Rocs. I'm confident I'm going to put those discs under the pin every throw (not that it happens all the time, but by far the majority).

If you look at the profile of a Roc, the leading edge is in the vertical center of the mold. That is what makes the disc so versatile. Great hyzer, great anhyzer, great roller (for its speed).

I tried to throw Rocs for years, but they never caught on with me. Last year though I just bought 3 of them and forced myself to use them. Throwing Rocs has shaved several strokes per round average for me.

All that said, many other midrange discs can fill the role, but just don't have quite the popularity because the Roc was the original. The Roc's fundamental design is 20 years old and is still an integral part of the game.

Latest posts