• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

what to buy? Forehand disk

isotopic1

I'm looking to improve my bag. I'm picking up a Coyote, and thinking about grabbing another disc or two, any suggestions. I'm been disc golfing for about 18 months, so still rather new, but not really a beginner. Thanx.

Star Destroyer - 175
Speed Demon -172
Avenger ESP - 153
JK Pro Aviar-X - 167
Rhyno DX - 147

These have all been given to me from friends, so... What should I look into getting. Oh, and I only flick. Thanx.

If you want it for sidearm then I would grab a Predator as it will also be used as a overhand and wind disc.

Max weight Champion Firebird and gator. I use sidearm shots for at least 60% of the holes in the woods, and I use it for nearly every upshot and long putt. I'm very accurate. Those two discs and a putter will be all you need 98% of the time. The only other disc I ever throw sidearm is a roadrunner when I think a big anhyzer is going to end up better than my backhand hyzer shot.

If you need a max distance driver for sidearm pretty much any fast disc will do. I never try to max out sidearm but I've thrown wraiths and destroyers and they do go farther than firebirds. Not much reason to use them forehand though if you have a backhand.

Oh and coyotes are very understable, much more so than the flight numbers would have you believe. Beat-in dx Rocs have much more stability than new champion coyotes. In fact, they are no straighter than a roc with far less predictability, they are kind of disappointing.

For other needs

Z Cyclone

ESP Force

Z Predator

But really you should get that putter.

I'd go with a slower speed driver like a

Firebird

Banshee

Whippet

or even a Viper.

Personally I throw a Star Firebird and a Star Whippet. The Firebird is my headwind driver not my distance driver. For that I use a Star Teerex (original run) and I'm working with a first run Star Destoryer. The Whippet is for upshots between 100'-200' and to get out of trouble. The other reason I use a Firebird and Whippet is because I throw thumbers. Firebird for tunnel shots and Whippet for distance

Jaysus said:
an Orc is my favorite flicking disc.

in heavier weights these will do amazing things when flicked

but ive found champion vikings to be one of the best forehand discs around as far as versatility

gotta agree with a lot of suggestion already stated. For my forehand drives I use a ESP Pulse and a ESP Force. For shorter drives I'll use my ESP Tracker (don't try to sidearm a X Tracker, it's a lot less stable than the ESP).

When I was throwing Innova, I was sidearming Vikings for everything below 300ft, and max weight stiff Pro Wraiths, Champ Orcs, and Star Destroyers for Max D. When the wind was really kickin I would pull out the Firebird and it would bomb.

I'd recommend throwing the Viking or ESP Tracker if you aren't getting your Destroyer out much more than 300ft. The Destroyer was very nose angle sensitive for me whenever I would sidearm it, but when I hit those perfect anny lines it was my longest disc. Just not very consistant and had no other uses for me except trying to drive it 350+.

I also use the Force and Tracker for forehand rollers.

anarak82 said:
gotta agree with a lot of suggestion already stated. For my forehand drives I use a ESP Pulse and a ESP Force. For shorter drives I'll use my ESP Tracker (don't try to sidearm a X Tracker, it's a lot less stable than the ESP).

When I was throwing Innova, I was sidearming Vikings for everything below 300ft, and max weight stiff Pro Wraiths, Champ Orcs, and Star Destroyers for Max D. When the wind was really kickin I would pull out the Firebird and it would bomb.

I'd recommend throwing the Viking or ESP Tracker if you aren't getting your Destroyer out much more than 300ft. The Destroyer was very nose angle sensitive for me whenever I would sidearm it, but when I hit those perfect anny lines it was my longest disc. Just not very consistant and had no other uses for me except trying to drive it 350+.

I also use the Force and Tracker for forehand rollers.

I'd go with the Z tracker instead because the stability varies a bit in the ESP but if you do just make sure you get a white one.

What he said ----^ . My white ESP Tracker is more overstable than my X and Players Cup Zs. Don't know about the new Z Trackers though.

I've heard that the Player's Cup Trackers were a little less stable and straighter than the new Zs, maybe closer to the X Tracker than the ESP and new Z Trackers. I'll have to agree about the White ESP Tracker though. I thought mine was a mutant till I got a yellow one that is a little more managable and realized that the whites are probably a little more stable of a run. My 173 white ESP wouldn't turn for anything. I was annying my Force way past a 300ft hole on my home course, but couldn't get the white ESP to turn for anything. Even with some stoopid OAT it'd still hyzer out mid flight.

Surprising not to hear about Champ Wraith since its my main driver. It gives me great distance whenever I needed and can almost go straight when using max weight. I have 164 wraith but doesn't work too well for me. I noticed max weight works perfect due to cannon arm but I don't know about all of you guys.

I love my star destroyer for anhyzer but still working on couple disc for hyzer cuz some seem to do well. I need to buy couple overstable disc to do hyzer as maybe Max or Monster but also someone mention about starfire-x so that's something to check out.

I've been forehanding the eco-star xcaliber (330-350) pretty consistently which is about 15-30 feet further than my average backhand. I've found it's pretty easy to flex out for max D, and pretty reliable in holding it's line on the long sweeping hyzers.

I have a few discs I use forehand-

I like to throw a 175 wraith for anny's, as it tends to flatten better than my 169 destroyer. The destroyer likes to ride the anny too long, but it depends on the shot. Sometimes I'll use the dessy for anny's 300ft or less. Usually need a little flatter release and a bit more height to get the destroyer to anny like my wraith.

169 destroyer is great for flat to slightly hyzer releases. Mine is turning at high speed a little more than I would like it to, but its just from low weight. This has been my go-to distance driver as of late, since I can get more D out of the flight than I can with the wraith. Also my go-to for knife hyzers.

I throw a champ beast, and recently a SOLF for hyzer flips. If I get enough height for them to flex, they fly just as far as my destroyer (and the different flight pattern comes in extremely handy). It seems lately they don't want to flex even with 30-40 feet of height. Also love the beast for 200-250ft strait shots, release it a little hyzer with some spin and it flattens and goes super strait with very little skip upon landing (destroyer and wraith skip like no other for me..)