• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What would you like to see in a store?

Incognito1989

Bogey Member
Before i say anything if this isn't appropriate or in the wrong section MODS please delete.

Basically i have been playing disc golf for about a year and have fallen in love with it! I come from intense sports with paintball & auto racing being my main focus as of recently.
But the serenity of disc golf along with the competition that can be had by all has really brought me to love this sport.

I currently run a paintball shop and have been able (after some convincing :thmbup:) to talk the owner into bringing disc golf into our shop.

Now i know in the area i live the problem is straight up selection, when you go to the shops that carry disc golf they are very select in what they carry (literally have 1 of each disc in 1 weight in 1-2 plastics)
So my MAIN focus will be getting a real selection in here and i would like to carry across the brands. (for now thinking innova,discraft & lat. 64 to get started)

But really i am new to this sport, only been around a year and definitely dont have all my mechanics worked out. I know what im looking for but i still fear i may have some bad ideals for basing some of what i want in the shop. So i figured id come to the experts!

Basically im looking to find out what YOU would want in your local disc golf shop? (ie selection/acessories/sponsorships/hours/everything!)
Pleassse remember this won't be a fully dedicated shop but i should have ample $$ and about 200 sq. ft. in the shop to dedicate to disc golf

Thanks!
-Taylor

Carry mostly to all max weight. Most players prefer it, and if your store is half >175 grams, its much harder for advanced players to find anything they want

Try the 2 big'uns 1st, in the different plastic(read $$ options). Once you have regular customers, play off of their requests (they are the the folks who are spending $$ in your shop). Try to keep fellow employees educated @ discs, the level of skill of your customers, and what will work for them.
Good luck!

Carry mostly to all max weight. Most players prefer it, and if your store is half >175 grams, its much harder for advanced players to find anything they want

you are incorrect. most players do not throw only max weight.
People are always looking for lighter stuff here.

I disagree with the second post above. You want a nice variety of discs and weights so that you can service the entire community. The more "advanced" players who only want max weight are only a part of the community. When you talk with Innova, Discraft and Gateway they know what sells and can give you a nice assortment. I would also like to see fade bags as well as a more premium bag, Phenix quads, cheaper quads, some clothing(I really like the current DGA designs). Some form of lights for glow rounds are always nice. I hope you do well, having a true shop in the area is a blessing.

Last edited:
I disagree with the second post above. You want a nice variety of discs and weights so that you can service the entire community. The more "advanced" players who only want max weight are only a part of the community. When you talk with Innova, Discraft and Gateway they know what sells and can give you a nice assortment. I would also like to see fade bags as well as a more premium bag, Phenix quads, cheaper quads, some clothing(I really like the current DGA designs). Some form of lights for glow rounds are always nice. I hope you do well, having a true shop in the area is a blessing.

I agree variety is important, but it is not to cater to "advanced players" TORQUE MONKEYS throw max weight, noobs who buy their discs at Dicks sporting goods get all maxweights. Real advanced players know what weights are best for them and it takes more than 1.1 years to be advanced.

Post a 160 River and a 175 Wraith and see which sells faster.
at the midatlantic meet people were looking for lighter teebirds and leopards.

I agree variety is important, but it is not to cater to "advanced players" TORQUE MONKEYS throw max weight, noobs who buy their discs at Dicks sporting goods get all maxweights. Real advanced players know what weights are best for them and it takes more than 1.1 years to be advanced.

Post a 160 River and a 175 Wraith and see which sells faster.
at the midatlantic meet people were looking for lighter teebirds and leopards.

This I agree with " " was to imply sarcasm.

heck even if you carry just innova carry many molds. Don't assume you know what I want in molds, even if it isn't 20 polecats, first store I saw a polecat in I bought one, had no idea what it was but wanted to try it. If I could I personally would have one of every mold possible, but won't buy new molds off the internet, I want to hold it in my hand first.

Orginization. Get a rack and label it in some way to let n00bs know where to go.
"Easiest to Throw" "Great for Getting Started"

Don't say, "For Beginners"- n00bs will think it's lame and good players may or may not get self-conscioud if anybody else is i the store.

Put in some putters, buzzzes, comets, teebirds, leopards and similar discs.
This would have been handy when I first started- I was hesitant to talk to the worker guy- I had memorised a list of what I wanted, but decided to get my bro and understable mid. The guy was nice, but he creeped me out. You don't want to bethe guy who asks, "whqt a good disc for beginners who aren't very good?"

Secone, know what you sell. Buyers will have questions, be prepared to answer them.

I would carry like 3 of the top molds from about 4 companies to start. Get a solid customer base and then get variety, ppl arent gonna know u carry disc for a while so dont bite off more than you can chew. Also, i would carry some innova starter bags and maybe just a couple competition bags and a few pairs of quads.

The weights on the discs is tricky. In my opinion "max weight" discs do sell easier. I dont know if its a noob ego thing or what?..
Also, dont price gouge! Start with smaller markups until you start to get the word out.

Selection is what brings me in. Not just molds, but a variety of weights, and lots of colors. (not necessarily every mold, but the time-tested best-sellers is where I would start).
Fair prices.
An organized rack is a must.
Charts that tell about discs (Innova's, Joe's, etc.)

Get a selection of bags. Bags post a good profit margin for the shelf space and promote buying more discs! Many players don't realize that you can carry 20 on the course until they see ungodly huge bags specifically for disc golf.

You need to carry a variety in weights as well as discs and platics. Also carry some of the cheaper bags that hold less than 10 discs. If someone wants a bigger bag you can always order one. Also have an assortment of minis. Vibram wouldn't be a bad company to carry as their discs sell and most are just beauties. I know innova is very helpful with start ups and can offer hints. You also will want to peoples request about discs. Good luck

It would help to know where youre from, how close the nearest course is, and how developed the scene is.
For example, the throw shop in yspi in on site of a newer course. I think lat does well there due to the hoards of new players without any prior loyalty- so they see pretty lat discs and cant see why not to pick the best looking plastic.

I worked at a small privately owned sporting goods store for a couple years. When I started working there we did not have discs but by the time I quit I can tell you where the store succeeded and where it failed. I think Innova has a minimum you are allowed to order so we got a large assortment of discs but still the minimum. Our first shipment was a success and we got rid of a lot of stuff quickly but I can't remember exactly what we got in. We ordered again and got rid of quite a bit but held on to a lot. I know we got in some popular discs like teebirds, wraiths, rocs, valkyrie's, etc. and those all went quick but we were left with a lot lesser thrown plastic. FL's, Vikings' Cheetah's, Cros, Kites, aeros' (just to name a few). We had so many of those left over that the owner of the store would refuse to order more because we had so many left. I think getting a variety is a very good thing. You should definitely expand on colors and weights (I know I'm no advanced player but I have definitely seen the importance of weight). But when it comes down to molds stick to a variety of more thrown molds. I'm not saying just the top 3 drivers, fairways, mids, and putters. You should definitely get a few molds from and have a selection in color/weight. I am just warning against getting the same amount of Teebirds and Rocs as you do Banshees and Kites. That may go without saying but just some friendly advice from a kid who has witnessed a similar situation.

I don't like seeing a selection from only one company in a shop carrying disc golf products. In my experience it has usually been Innova discs like Vikings and Birdies in pro-d plastic. Make sure you can carry products from a few different companies.

A while ago (before I decided to only buy from actual disc golf shops) I asked a tennis shop if they would ever carry anything else other than Innova discs. I was told they were only allowed to sell Innova products. I don't know what that's all about, but don't fall into that category.

Have a great selection of putters and mid-ranges and talk new players into buying those before they plop a bright and killer looking Champ Groove on the counter. Good luck! I'll make sure to visit when in your area. Keep us posted on the progress.

Glad to know Chainbangerz is doing well on all fronts. Good thread, I'll be following closely. :)

i've got a buddy who works at the local pias and they have tons of innova, discraft, and gateway that i know has sat around for a few years untouched. he talked his manager into a firesale of molds that haven't sold to free up some space and money to buy stuff that will sell. it helps that he knows his plastic, so he can ask some questions to people who may not know a ton about dg. so now he can make a good suggestion, where before nobody there knew a thing about discs.

i think to start out get a bunch of easy to throw discs in a variety of weights and plastics. take a look at the marketplace and see what sells...stuff like wizards, aviars, challengers, magnets, comets, buzzzes, rocs, leopards, teebirds, valks, etc are easier to throw and come in a variety of plastics. i think every n00b has bought at least one disc that right away they realized they couldn't throw. i would suggest discs like the ones above as easy to throw or easy to keep straight. i wouldn't label them as beginner friendly or starter discs because then you are calling out some poor kid's man card.

Latest posts