• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What would you like to see in a store?

This is what I see at our top selling store in my area.

Discraft, Innova, and Gateway are the brands they carry and I'll give you the reason why.

Innova(every plastic for as many molds as possible)-Beginners come in a see a ripped Bull/Guy with a nose ring and a Megatron looking robot on a dx disc, they want it instantly. Try and carry an assortment of weights. R-Pro Bossess in light weights sell like crazy and cover all plastic ranges. Also, Innova is well known throughout disc golf and a lot of the beginners know Innova because of the dx plastic.

Discraft-I don't personally throw Discraft, but it is well known as well. A lot of people that play ultimate know of Discraft because of the Ultra-Star and they may want Discraft because of that. Also, they have cool names which will attract beginners as well.

Gateway- I don't throw them but they are awesome. I say that because of the feel of the putters. When a beginner of the sport picks up those discs as compared to other brands, it is something about them that just make them seem superior. Not that they are, just the feel makes it seem that way. Also, they have cool names of their putters with wizards and clowns on them which is an eye catcher.

As far as other things in stores:
Bags, stools, minis, scorecards(maybe 2 free per disc or something), stickers, birdie bags, straps, baskets, disc flight charts, etc.

Also, I think it would be awesome to have some type of driving range outside or even a net inside to throw into. Also, maybe some different putters and a basket or two to putt on.

Just my 2 cents. I wished I could open a store but the disc golf market is held up here because of a place that has been selling it since late 90's.

Carry X-outs. I shop at GGGT mostly for the prices and selection, but the X-out shelf is why I spend waaaay more than I should. This may not be an option with shelf space though.

The better variety of merchandise in terms of brands, molds, weights the better. That being said, if you have to start off Innova only, I don't think it will hurt things.

I don't like seeing a selection from only one company in a shop carrying disc golf products. In my experience it has usually been Innova discs like Vikings and Birdies in dx plastic. Make sure you can carry products from a few different companies.

A while ago (before I decided to only buy from actual disc golf shops) I asked a tennis shop if they would ever carry anything else other than Innova discs. I was told they were only allowed to sell Innova products. I don't know what that's all about, but don't fall into that category.

Have a great selection of putters and mid-ranges and talk new players into buying those before they plop a bright and killer looking Champ Groove on the counter. Good luck! I'll make sure to visit when in your area. Keep us posted on the progress.

reposted to fix an error.

A few thoughts from someone who owns a small sideline disc store----

You're just talking about initial stock because, after a while, your customers will tell you what to stock. By what they buy, and more importantly, what they ask you for that you don't have in stock.

Your biggest market is probably not advanced players, but new and casual players. Tournament players win or buy tons of plastic at tournaments.

Which makes a variety of weights important. There are many players who don't need to throw max weight, and many experienced players have a specific narrow weight range in mind.

A broad, thin stock is best. 1 or 2 of each mold/plastic; even if your stock is only 500 discs, if they are 300 different molds/weights/plastics, players like browsing through them for the perfect disc.

The stores around me do NOT carry mini discs. That would be nice. Some people in my area "create" their own disc bags, so disc divider (U Cradle...great example) would be an awesome addition...although I would only carry 1-2 and refill as needed. Dri-fit shirts are popular, Keen and Vibram footwear is a ++

a few things that are guaranteed to help you

- talk to other small store owners. there are litterally hundreds upon hundreds of them that could offer you the best advice you could possibly get.

- have a good relationship with your local disc golf clubs. this will lead to future courses being created with your merchandise and in your name and so much more.

This is an awesome idea. I bought my first 3 discs at Dicks Sporting Goods and I would have loved to have known that a Beast was a poor choice as a beginner.

Orginization. Get a rack and label it in some way to let n00bs know where to go.
"Easiest to Throw" "Great for Getting Started"

Don't say, "For Beginners"- n00bs will think it's lame and good players may or may not get self-conscioud if anybody else is i the store.

Put in some putters, buzzzes, comets, teebirds, leopards and similar discs.
This would have been handy when I first started- I was hesitant to talk to the worker guy- I had memorised a list of what I wanted, but decided to get my bro and understable mid. The guy was nice, but he creeped me out. You don't want to bethe guy who asks, "whqt a good disc for beginners who aren't very good?"

Secone, know what you sell. Buyers will have questions, be prepared to answer them.

This is an awesome idea. Would have loved to know that a Beast was a poor choice for a beginner when I started.

My local store, Disc Nation, has exactly what I think is important for a dg store. Good selection of molds and weights, good prices, a helpful and friendly staff and a field out back to try before you buy.

Carry mostly to all max weight. Most players prefer it, and if your store is half >175 grams, its much harder for advanced players to find anything they want

Nonsense. While many prefer max weights, there is just as many who don't. If I was to make such a personal recommendation I'd say carry everything around 170-172g because that's what I throw. But I wouldn't do that either. You need a complete array of weights. Things under 150 for the kiddies up to the big arm weights.

Unless you can carry a monster inventory I'd start out slow with just 1 manufacturer. Innova or Discraft are the easy obvious choices. However if you have a Dick's or other stores that carry discs you might want to try to push a smaller manufacturer like Lat64 or Westside Discs. I'd also try to partner up with one of the smaller disc bag companies like Gorilla Boy, Revolution, Grip, Voodoo, etc.

Make your store stand out.

I'd start small, like others suggest.
Innova: Go for variety here since the minimum is pretty big. Many molds, all weights, but don't carry too many of any particular mold.
Discraft: Try to just carry the big sellers if you can. Buzzz, Nuke, Comet, etc. Let your customer base dictate how much you carry.
Gateway: Just putters unless you're around St. Louis, Wizard and Magic particularly. They have appeal b/c they aren't as deep as Aviars which is everybody's de facto first putter.
Lat. 64/Westside/others: See if there would be demand first.

Definitely have organized racks, non-ripoff prices, and informative staff to dissuade n00bs from buying Grooves (also, don't buy Grooves if you can help it) so that they aren't discouraged from playing DG and buying more plastic.

Fade bags are good b/c their customer service is great and their prices are very n00b friendly.

I like to see a large selection, but for just starting you may want to start with the popular stuff like others have said
As far as what models to carry ask around what people in the area throw i know some areas see different trends in what is popular If gateway putters are popular definitely get some in since it is best to pick them out in person

Also consider adding things other stores in the area don't like if they only carry innova get some other stuff just to be different, but like others have said it will be a little while before people realize you sell discs

I'd start small, like others suggest.
Innova: Go for variety here since the minimum is pretty big. Many molds, all weights, but don't carry too many of any particular mold.
Discraft: Try to just carry the big sellers if you can. Buzzz, Nuke, Comet, etc. Let your customer base dictate how much you carry.
Gateway: Just putters unless you're around St. Louis, Wizard and Magic particularly. They have appeal b/c they aren't as deep as Aviars which is everybody's de facto first putter.
Lat. 64/Westside/others: See if there would be demand first.

Definitely have organized racks, non-ripoff prices, and informative staff to dissuade n00bs from buying Grooves (also, don't buy Grooves if you can help it) so that they aren't discouraged from playing DG and buying more plastic.

Fade bags are good b/c their customer service is great and their prices are very n00b friendly.

This is a huge issue, just because the companies say this "$" is retail does not mean its the price to sell it at. You will make more money selling 50+ discs at normal pricing than 10-15 discs at gouge you retail pricing!!!

Stay with the bigger sellers and newer discs for the larger part. Having 8-10 molds that are great discs is always better 45 molds of random crap discs.

Nonsense. While many prefer max weights, there is just as many who don't. If I was to make such a personal recommendation I'd say carry everything around 170-172g because that's what I throw. But I wouldn't do that either. You need a complete array of weights. Things under 150 for the kiddies up to the big arm weights.

Totally agree here

I prefer drivers in 167-170g and if I win some plastic at a tourney, it sucks to find the store that's doing the vending has almost nothing in that weight range.

Would add that not just kiddies like 150-class discs, some women do too, so I imagine they run into the same problem at tourneys.

mjoyce: Orginization. Get a rack and label it in some way to let n00bs know where to go.

Academy does that. Yes. Now you know. I buy discs at a chain sporting goods store. I go to Sports Authority too. My same disc someone else has is probably no where near as good since it didn't come from nobody's ever heard of it in nobody's ever heard of itville.. And now that I know Dick's sells discs, I'll be there too. :p

But anyway, had to take a jab at people ripping on folks who buy discs at mainstream stores. Hey, it's what's here and it's who's selling discs. I suppose I could buy those Swedish discs at the gas station.

Yeah, so, Academy labels their racks with little notes about the discs. This noob finds them helpful.

I imagine paint ball and military surplus kinda go together. Why buy high dollar Gucci-flage to go paint balling? Some old Army camies probably work fine. It's pretty much playing war, so I guess buying cheap old war gear is something paint ballers might do. So-o-o-o, see if there are some price friendly mil surp bags that would make good disc golf bags. I bet there are. My bag doesn't have to say in bold letters, "This here is a genuine disc golf bag made specifically for disc golfing". It just has to hold discs and stuff. Army surplus, here I come.

Latest posts