• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What's all this Par brouhaha?

drkstr

Birdie Member
Newbie here with a par question.
all the courses I've played up here in the Great Northwet (Washington) have all par 3 and 4's and a couple of par 2's.
Question ~
What distance deserves a Par 5?

I really could care less about par :p
Olorin is the par god, ask him ;)

(I swear if drkstr is a fake ... :p)

hello valkriefb11 ~
I am not a fake and being fairly new to the sport I don't make a whole lot of pars ~ but I love to play anyway.
So what exactly did you win?

It must be a fake, 'cause that's too easy a coincidence.

If it's not a fake, then my apologies to the new guy. It's a long story.

hello valkriefb11 ~
I am not a fake and being fairly new to the sport I don't make a whole lot of pars ~ but I love to play anyway.
So what exactly did you win?

drkstr if you arent a fake my sincerest apologies ... welcome to the site ... but if you are ... :eek:
check out this thread to find out what the big deal is
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=931

...Im smelling a rat until Donovan rules ...

I figured all I had to do was bump that par-contest thread and with all the recent noobs someone would take the bait. Ahhh.... pressure off.

ERic

"I are a house painter, I are not a rat";)
Thanks for the welcome ~ the thread you just posted is where I first saw the "contest" and was just curious as to what was going on (at first seeing it I thought I might win something :)
This is a great site ~ and I love to check out all the different courses across the USA.

In terms of the "contest" that donovan made-up, great for valkriefb11 being the first to respond. A big "woohoo" to you. Use some common curtiousy: rather than being the first to respond with no help whatsoever to the thread starter, give some insight on the question asked.

Now to actually answer the question (if you are for real, and hadn't figured out the search feature of the site yet)...

Newbie here with a par question.
all the courses I've played up here in the Great Northwet (Washington) have all par 3 and 4's and a couple of par 2's.
Question ~
What distance deserves a Par 5?
It depends on what method you use for determining par. But generally, for competitive play, and basing primarily on distance:

• there are no Par 2's
  • Par 3's up to 500 ft.
  • Par 4's 500-800 ft.
  • Par 5's 800-1,100 ft.
  • Par 6's 1,100+ ft. (not many of these)
There's mucho more info if you search past threads on the topic.

ERic

In terms of the "contest" that donovan made-up, great for valkriefb11 being the first to respond. A big "woohoo" to you. Use some common curtiousy: rather than being the first to respond with no help whatsoever to the thread starter, give some insight on the question asked.
Yeah, kind of what I posted in the bump of the contest thread... I think the spirit of the contest was to "chime in" with something relevant.

ERic

Thanks ERicJ ~
I'll be checking out the Search Feature a little more closely.
"no par 2's" ~ alrighty then ~ that will help my scores as two holes on the course I play most often (Lake Stevens, Washington State) lists two holes (#2 and # 10) as par 2's.
Catch you later.

"I are a house painter, I are not a rat";)
Thanks for the welcome ~ the thread you just posted is where I first saw the "contest" and was just curious as to what was going on (at first seeing it I thought I might win something :)
This is a great site ~ and I love to check out all the different courses across the USA.

Cool, welcome to the sight.

drkstr, Please forgive me, I didnt mean to be not courteous to you.

To be honest I had to go look up the distances for par, I dont know them offhand ... and as ERicJ was the first to respond with the actual answer to an actual thread question ... I think he wins ;)

"no par 2's" ~ alrighty then ~ that will help my scores as two holes on the course I play most often (Lake Stevens, Washington State) lists two holes (#2 and # 10) as par 2's.
If these are the distances:
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=642&mode=hi
then it's unlikely those would be considered by most as Par 2 holes.

The PDGA definition says "Par" allows you two throws to hole out from "close range". The problem is they never define what "close range" is.

Some of the thinking on this board is coming around to Olorin's proposal for "Close Range Par" which is still evolving. That defines "Close Range" as 100 ft. So to be a Par 2 hole under that methodology a hole would have to be 100 ft or less.

Unfortunately, there is no widely accepted standard for "Par" in disc golf today. So most courses have par set to whatever the course designer or sign maker wanted.

ERic

Whenever my friends and I play, we play everything as a par 3 for the ease of scorekeeping. We just keep it in relation to over/under par, just like ball golf.

Wait a minute. If close range is within 100 feet, then a Par 3 hole of 499 feet would expect me to throw a 399 foot drive. Is that what we want?

Again, covered in other threads already but... calling a hole a '3' to simplify the adding/tracking of your score is different than playing a hole as a "Par 3".

Almost every experience player does the former for the purpose of adding their score, regardless of what the Par values are on the holes.

ERic

Latest posts