• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What's in your bag - 2008 edition

cmlasley said:
Mike, can you talk about how you use all these discs (i.e. what situation makes you throw the TeeRex as opposed to the Pulse)?

sure.

Teebird -- Hyzers from 330 - 430

Star TL -- Controlled distance to about 450 or so.

Z Avenger -- These are pretty interchangeable with the Teebird for me...Avengers have a bit more fade to them though.
Z Tracker -- Not really sure where this will fit in the bag, I just tossed in there because it was laying around.

XL -- This is essentially my leopard used for straight shots from 3 - 400'

Firebird -- Strictly thumbers, I haven't found anything that flies as far and as predicable as a firebird.

Pred -- Headwind and big hyzers.

TeeRex -- Flies like my Teebird, but on lower lines.

Pulse -- This is the retooled Pulse, very overstable. I'm using it for forehand shots 300 - 350'

Destroyer -- Innacurate distance (for now, until I get it dialed in)

Speed Demon DT -- Shorter forehand shots and random trick shots

Buzzz -- any midrange shot to about 320'

Scout -- short range hyzers.

Proto Warlock -- beat to hell; used for quick turnovers

DX BB Aviar -- putt and approach

star teerex (2) one beat, one new
pro wraith (new)
champ firebird (2)
champ/star teebird
proline beast
roc (3) ching, ontario, DX

aviar x (2) one new,one beat

Putter

175g SSS Warlock
172g S Warlock
172g SSS Wizard
175g S Wizrad
175g Pro Rhyno

Midrange

171g DX Rancho Roc
176g Glow Roc
175g DX Ontario Roc
175g Star Cro

Fairway Drivers

175g DX Stingray
175G DX Leopard
163g Star Teebird

Drivers

164g Champion Wraith
164g Champion Orc
150g Elite X Surge
172g Champion Sidewinder
175g Champion "Old Mold" Beast
169g Champion Firebird
150g Z Flick
169g ESP Avenger SS

Already Changes!

Drivers:
Raging Inferno (Might not last too much longer)
Raging Inferno DT
T-Bone
Scream DT
100 Meter Lazer
Double D (Working on it)

Midrange
Rock-it
Backbone
Wildfire

Putters
E-Wizard
Glow Wizard
Crossfire

Hero Type 20 Bag+Quad Shocks

Champ:RoadRunner- flippy roller

Champ:Valkyrie- sky roller

Champ:T-Bird- utility driver (hardly even use it)

Star:Destroyer- turnover/roller

Star:Destroyer- straight/flex

Champion:Destroyer- flex

Champion:Destroyer- backup

Star:Max- skip/thomahawk

Star:Cro- stable mid
Kc:Roc- flippy mid

Z:Magnet-stable driver
SS:Warlock- main putter
Dx:Aviar- downhill putter

going to test the ontario and sanny rocs soon, but i think the Champion Shark will take the place of my understable mid

I have already made changes. I used to be a semi decent putter when I used my P&A's and for some reason I switched to wizards and my putting went to shit. Today I tried using my P&A's again and made more 30 foot putts than I have made with my wizards in the last 3 months.

Also, I need to keep reminding myself that I don't throw 400 feet (or even 350) yet so I should stay away from big drivers so I am just sticking with Teebirds for now.

So...

Putters
165 Aviar P&A - longer putts, easier to putt with from distance
172 Aviar P&A - main putter
175 Aviar P&A - windy putter - thinking I don't really need it
175 Jk Aviar-X - Putter Driver

Mids
169 - really beat DX Roc - Straight to Understable, more understable than straight
175 - beat DX Roc - Dead Straight
175 - newer DX Roc - Overstable

Drivers
175 - Pro Line Leopard - Understable, Roller, in the bag till I can beat in a TL
172 - Pro TL - Annys, over water shots, trying to beat to get rid of the leo
172 - CE TL - Control Driver, straight as an arrow!
171 - Star Teebird - main driver
171- Champ Teebird - When I need a little extra fade
175 - Champ Teebird - when there is some wind
170 - DX FireBird - Big Hyzers, Thumbers, Windy Days

I throw about 330 golf D right now and I think it is going up but my home course has only 1 hole longer than 310 feet so it is hard to tell. Does it look okay? I am trying to get away from collector discs so I might be switching the CE TL for a Star TL. Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

You probably don't need that many teebirds and TL's, unless they fly significantly differently. Work on throwing 1 in particular, until you can throw it 350'. Both the TL and Teebird have that kind of distance potential. Unless you are hyzer flipping TL's, you may want to throw the teebird flat or with a bit of anhyzer angle for a tight S shot for extra distance.

rusch, i like your bag so here's my suggestions
lock-off's try said:
Putters
165 Aviar P&A - longer putts, easier to putt with from distance
172 Aviar P&A - main putter
175 Jk Aviar-X - Putter Driver

Mids
169 - really beat DX Roc - Straight to Understable, more understable than straight
175 - beat DX Roc - Dead Straight
175 - newer DX Roc - Overstable

Drivers
170 - Star Leopard
170 - Star TL
171 - Star Teebird - main driver
175 - Champ Teebird - when there is some wind or more fade
170 - DX FireBird - Big Hyzers, Thumbers, Windy Days

this gets you down to 3 diff plastics and you only need to get 2 more discs. you can drop the CE TL and count that for the price of both (since you wont be losing it now and you can put it on ur shelf) :) star leopard will fly nuts straight for you at first and break in to catch great glide on annies. as soon as it does, your star tl will be even straighter than it was new. what do you think? 12 discs 6 molds is sweet

That looks good and if I do lose something it will be easy to replace. I will have to try it out. Thanks for the help.

ps - I have like 50+ discs just sitting in some bins, what is the best way to get rid of them while getting something for it?

rusch_bag said:
ps - I have like 50+ discs just sitting in some bins, what is the best way to get rid of them while getting something for it?

Trade them in the Buy/Sell/Trade section!

(Or there may be a Play-it-Again-Sports in your area.)

bag is pretty much the same as posted in the old thread, but...

4 spirits - 2 nike, 1 flat top ice, and another flat top E - for anything from predictable distance to overhands and forhands
1 teerex - star - just needed something a little more stable than the wraith with more distance than my beat spirit
4 wraiths - 1 champ, 3 star - varied stabilities, for long drives from "stable" to big flex shots
3 sabres - 2 nike, 1 pearly - overstable to understable fairway drives or tunnel shots
1 TL - pro - rolling
1 whippet X - 1st run Champ - overstable short drives and mid-range
2 element X - old E, semi transparent - STRAIGHT to understable mid-ranges
3 wizards - 2 S meds, 1 glow - stable to understable putts and approaches for the meds, short drives for the glow

side pocket:
2 more wizards for putting practice.
2 E illusions for windy days. they cut through wind better than any disc i've ever thrown so i had to find a place for them.

My bag is very experimental as I'm still learning the game and trying to find what works best for me...

At the this moment..

Putters
171 1080's (Everything except overstable putts)
173 Proto Warlock (Just trying it out)
171 FLX Challenger (Stable)

Mids
2x 177-180 Dx Rocs (straight mid)
175 Glo Wasp (overstable mid for now)
175 11x KC Roc (Almost beaten to take over the understable position in mids)
177 Beat Z Buzzz (understable mid until I can make a roc hold anny's like this one does)
172 Star Cro (just taking space lately as I'm switching to Roc/Wasp)

Drivers
Teebirds - 170ish Champ, 168 DX, 150 Champ( probably coming out for another DX or Star TL)
172 RoadRunner
172 Avenger SS (The RR, SS, and Rogue seem to overlap a bit, going to see what I'm more consistent with and stick to it)
172 Rogue
175 Champ Firebird
(My magic disc, gets me out of trouble and is what I reach for when I dunno what to do, obviously headwind driver)
168 Star Firebird (trying it out, like the champ much better thusfar)
168 Star Destroyer (headwind/overstable but beginning to straighten out)

Seems like a lot of discs but it really boils down to the 1080 for putting, Roc mids, teebirds for driving, firebirds into the wind, and messing around with a max D driver which I haven't decided on yet.

Just starting out, i've been learning my discs more but its pretty much the same as the old thread with a few tweaks.

DRIVERS:

Star TL - pretty much all my drives, i love this baby
DX Gazelle - Has a tendency to veer right on me, might need to add some anhyzer soon, but i use my TL/roc for almost all my drives so i haven't really felt this one out yet.

MIDS

DX Roc - FAVORITE DISC BY FAR, use it for 80% of my shots, starting to beat in and loose its fade
DX Roc(fresh) - Just sits for now, going to be my fresh Roc in a few months

PUTTERS
Medium S wizard - Jury still out on this one, might pick up a Classic Roc for more consistant releases, but i like this disc for long approaches and its wind fighting abilities.

I'll probably get a 'max distance driver' once i develop my game a little more, i haven't tried any but a DX orc which was way to overstable for me, just dive-bombs to the left.

Also going to grab a Stingray to beat up and learn rollers with, also a good understable options since i throw RHBH.

So basically i'm going for maybe 5 or 6 molds.[/b]

P.S. i play on a heavily wooded coarse(patapsco, MD), i'm worried that i'm going to go through DX Rocs like underwear - should i just suck it up and deal with it? or get KC pros or glow Rocs for more durability

Jsw said:
P.S. i play on a heavily wooded coarse(patapsco, MD), i'm worried that i'm going to go through DX Rocs like underwear - should i just suck it up and deal with it? or get KC pros or glow Rocs for more durability

I play some heavily wooded courses as, well. I would not worry about going through DX Rocs. They get longer and sweeter as they beat in, and by the time they are rollers, they are at least a year old (I have a DX Roc that I bought used and have been throwing for 3 years old and it is my favorite Roc by far). If you rotate Rocs, like you are planning, you will have to buy 3 per year if they wear out in a year (play with the first until it goes straight, then get one for overstable; by the time your straight becomes understable, your overstable will be straight, so you get another new one for overstable shots). That is $18-21 dollars spent. Or you can buy one Roc in premium plastic that will cost you . . . $18-30. My money is better spent in DX Rocs. You get the array of shots at the same price.

It all kinda depends on what your looking for and what feel you like.

I rotate 3 San Marinos and 3 KC and will sometimes carry a 07 opaque Champ.

2 of my sannys are at least two years old with the other being about 6 monthes. And my KCs are at about the same stages. They are different molds so they all have their own unique characteristics. My Champ is my always fresh. Its not always in the bag.

I have tweaked my bag a bit more. Not that this should surprise anyone.
Drivers:
2 - 175g Nike Spirit (Overstable headwinds)
2 - 175g E-Blurr (Main Driver)
1 - 173g E-Raging Inferno (All out distance)
1 - 174g E-Assassin (Straight Fairway driver)
1 - 172g E-Sabre FX (Hyzer Fairway driver)
1 - 172g S-Sabre (Anhyzer Fairway driver)
1 - 174g Proto H-Illusion (Roller)
Midranges:
1 - 174g S-Demon (Strong headwind mid)
1 - 180g E-Element X (Slight headwind mid)
1 - 180g E-Element (Straight mid)
1 - 178g S-Element (Anhyzer mid)
Putters:
1 - 172g Proto Warlock (Main putter)
1 - 175g SSS Warlock (Jump putts)
1 - 175g Glow Wizard (Short hyzer drives)
1 - 172g Firm Wizard (Short anhyzer drives)

173g Star Leopard - utility
171g Dx Teebird - broke in
172g Dx Teebird - new
175g Star Teebird - more fade
172g Dx Firebird - new
168g Star Wraith - broke in

178g Dx Roc - broke in nicely
180g Dx Roc - newish stable mid
175g Star Cro - overstable mid

172g KC Pro Aviar - it's a putter!

updated. innova only now and threw the star wraith in now that i can throw again. kc aviars seem nice so far..

175g Star Max- Utility disc, use it for a couple holes, dunno if it will stay
175g Star Tee-rex - Distance Very Reliable
172g Star Destroyer - Same as Teerex bought wrong weight, feels under not impressed
175g Star Sidewinder - Sneaky Snake and Sky Rollers

175g Star Firebird - Wind Control, forehands
175g Star Teebird - Workhorse

180g Q Sentinel - Roc that fades, little longer too
180g KC 11x Roc - New dead straight when you hit it
180g KC 11x Roc - 2 years old any line it will hold, starting to get flippy
175g Proto Warlock - Putter, greatest putter/plastic ever
175g Omega SS - sneaky putts, spinners, turbos

Looking to get a flippy midrange (ontario or san marino roc or shark I guess wish 10x's were cheaper or they made kc's plastic for those). And to put a SOLF in my bag, threw prototypes before the 06 memorial, great in the woods driver. And try out some pro or other destroyers to get one that flies better. Going to have to replace my gamer too because its getting beat up too much.

Been leaning more towards the mini bag lately and have been destroying my previous best round scores...

172g S Medium Warlock -putt and approach
160g S Medium Warlock -jump/long putts
175g 12x KC Roc -beat to straight
180g 12x KC Roc -new for hyzers and headwinds

175g JLS -fairway driver, tight woods game, tailwinds, turnover driver, roller
175g SJLS -fairway driver, tight woods game, S curves, hyzerflips
172g Champ Teebird -long fairway driver, flex shots, hyzers, headwinds
175g SOLS -max D, longer JLS, long S curves, low ceilings, tailwinds
175g SOLF -max D, longer JLS, more wind resistant, similar lines to SOLS but more stable

169g Champ Destroyer -moderate headwind driver, max D hyzers
172g Z Predator -overhands, overstable mid, hyzers, headwinds