• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] What's the best putter made for Driving

The Aviar in hard, stiff DX plastic with a bead (there are several versions out) is a great straight flying putter that will hold a line pretty well in a wind. In no or low wind it is awesome. I throw it up to 270 feet so I use it a lot on short holes. The beauty of it is that it is stable, straight, predictable and won't fly or skip past the landing point. It is my only upshot and short driver I carry and have been using them since 1986. I use almost a full throw but can control it because I know it will hold the line I put it on. Use the disc that fits the throw. I use a Roc for up to 300 foot holes because it also goes straight and won't skip past the landing. A "drive" is only the first shot off the tee. Some people have commented that they use "drivers" off the tee, and I think it only makes sense to place the disc you're using close to where you want it to land. So a putter off the tee is smart in a lot of situations for short holes. I have the most aces with this disc for short holes. That's why you can carry 14 golf clubs and they only go a certain distance so you use the club that goes the distance you want, like a 7 iron to go at a par 3 hole that is 150 yards.

I'm not sure that Innova still mass produces Beaded DX Aviars.

Overstable seems to be what I can get farthest the easiest, but I've yet to see putters go as far as a perfectly thrown Aero. Those things will hang in the air, floating down the fairways like a tortoise.

That is the best discription I have ever seen on the Aero. You hit it on the head.

I use an Omega AP for all putting and drives less than 230ish. It flies really similar to my Aviar, but the plastic is much more durable, which is why I prefer it. I wouldn't mind trying some of the overstable putters though. The Omega AP does tend to turn right at higher speeds.

do this: take your favorite driver, turn it upside down and with your thumb resting comfortably on the inner rim (which is facing upward), putt with it.
there you go :D, your best putter will be your driver. ;) putting like that with strong winds is a must.

I disagree. The Aero does have some "off the tee" capability but I think the Discraft Challenger is the best putter for driving.

I have a Champion Aero and an FLX Challenger and love them both. But for driving the Aero has the Challenger beat. In close(less than 50') I would give the edge to the Challenger because its edge is less stiff. But to answer the the thread the Aero is it.

I have recently seen a lot of people using Innova's XD to drive, and they seem very reliable

I dont use an overstable putter 50' in... But I like the Benjamin Franklin quote. Thomas Jefferson once said "the masses are @$$es". Ha aint that the truth.

I'm pretty surprised no one has mentioned the Classic Roc. It's a putt and approach disc with a low (more driver like) profile. It's stability is similar to a new big bead Aviar, but it's a tad faster and longer. It is also way more forgiving. When throwing aviars I have to modify my grip for a nose level release or I'll get flutter, whereas I can throw the Classic Roc with a nose down grip just like I would a driver. In my opinion the Classic Roc is to an Aviar what a Buzz is to a Roc; Easier and more forgiving to throw and a touch longer. I personally use a champion plastic version but I think the dx are good too, at least when new.

do this: take your favorite driver, turn it upside down and with your thumb resting comfortably on the inner rim (which is facing upward), putt with it.
there you go :D, your best putter will be your driver. ;) putting like that with strong winds is a must.

Why is putting like that with strong winds a must?

I use a Rhyno for shorter drives. I think mine is a straighter flyer than most...not sure though. it works great.

i'm going to go ahead and say the r pro dart. provided i only got to play one round with it before i shipped out to china, but since the course i was at is incredibly short, i drove it on every hole. got to really liking it. using a aviar p/a is a good choice for a turnover shot, i like to throw em downhill and watch em fly. the wizard is always a go to as well.

as for the roc, mentioned above, it was probably unmentioned because most don't putt with rocs too often, and view them as more mid range.

Overstable seems to be what I can get farthest the easiest, but I've yet to see putters go as far as a perfectly thrown Aero. Those things will hang in the air, floating down the fairways like a tortoise.
I disagree. The Aero does have some "off the tee" capability but I think the Discraft Challenger is the best putter for driving.

I thought it would be hard to argue that the driving potential of a putter that has an officially recorded throw of 485 feet isn't as good as something else.

The Aero is the best putter made for driving, simply because it was made to be a driver.

Latest posts