• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What's up with Lighting?

DiscSniper

In general everyone blasts Lightning discs. I own two and frankly they really work for me. The #1 Slice is a super reliable turnover or hyper-flipper for me and glides forever, especially downhill. The other disc I have is a #2 Driver that I use for water holes(it floats), but it honestly flies ok.

Is it just that their stuff is pretty antiquated at this point or what? I'm not blasting anyone or defending them, just curious.

Yeah they are old hat now. I've never thrown one, but they ad to have done something right. If it works for you rock it till the wheels fall off.

They make some solid fairway driver molds, the #2 driver especially, but their plastic sucks and they will never come out with anything new...ever.

Mx-1 crushes...into a roller(think flippy Astra)

Pretty sure DN still has some proto mx-1s we are sitting on

Mx-1= new distance driver

There's a couple people that swear by the #1 Hyzer, but I imagine there are discs in better plastic that do the job the same or better.

The #4 Driver was the first disc that I could throw straight. Good beginner discs in my opinion.

That is one benefit, they're cheap! And in some ways, always having the same products/molds could be an advantage for the player, maybe not so much for the business...

which putter of theirs is the deeper feeling one with a bunch of glide? #2 upshot maybe. That is a good disc but not good enough to replace anything in my bag.

When I first started playing I carried a #2 Slice and an old D-XL, and that's it. Good old days. I think I still have it somewhere, I should pull it out sometime.

they're drivers are slow, and they never kept up with the march towards Speed Infinity.

But slow does equal more control, and a bunch of them float at the right weights.

I've got an ace with one, so I might be a bit biased, but I like em.

But with that said, I don't have any in the bag.

And their putters do straight very well.

zj1002 said:
Mx-1 crushes...into a roller(think flippy Astra)

Pretty sure DN still has some proto mx-1s we are sitting on

Mx-1= new distance driver

Orly? I have one I've never touched.. came with my lightning basket... guess I should try it

Edit: hmm, mine is champion-esque plastic, unlike any of the ones I see online

Good question - they seem curiously absent in any discussion about disc manufacturers. I have a friend who swears by his Rubber Putter.

One of the top Pro Masters in Norcal putts amazingly with his Rubber Putters...they are however, awful.

Hoey said:
they're drivers are slow, and they never kept up with the march towards Speed Infinity.

But slow does equal more control, and a bunch of them float at the right weights.

Nothing wrong with that, IMO. Most of the advice that I hear given to noobs is stay the hell away from the high speed stuff to begin with. There may be better discs out there in fairways, mids and putters, but I myself can basically write off anything faster than what's considered a fairway driver. I'm beginning to realize my limitations and don't have anything faster than a River in my bag right now(ok, I've got a 150 DX Valk in right now, but that's kind of the exception)

It would be better to see a noob with a #2 driver than Innova/Discraft-ludicrous-speed-driver to learn on would it not?

It just seems weird that nobody mentions their stuff. I guess that our society is just trained to always hafta have the latest and greatest.

No, the problem is that their plastic is about as tough as a stale starburst or a crayon.

DiscSniper said:
Hoey said:

Nothing wrong with that, IMO. Most of the advice that I hear given to noobs is stay the hell away from the high speed stuff to begin with. There may be better discs out there in fairways, mids and putters, but I myself can basically write off anything faster than what's considered a fairway driver. I'm beginning to realize my limitations and don't have anything faster than a River in my bag right now(ok, I've got a 150 DX Valk in right now, but that's kind of the exception)

It would be better to see a noob with a #2 driver than Innova/Discraft-ludicrous-speed-driver to learn on would it not?

It just seems weird that nobody mentions their stuff. I guess that our society is just trained to always hafta have the latest and greatest.

I agree with you. Slow, controllable, and floats are great things for a beginner... hell even advanced players could put these to good use. Their plastic is pretty bad, but it's cheap. Cheap is preffered for a lot of players.

And they are definitely back in business now. There was a point though 2-3 years ago (that lasted about a year?), that he wasn't doing anything with Lightning. Sounds like he got his shit back together though and is back at it.

Latest posts