• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What's your max distance you expect to go up and down from?

What's your max distance you expect to go up and down from?

• Total voters
Wide open? Im trying to drive and duce at 400' but "expect" no issues at 250-300. But.....

So whats the point here?

It used to be 250 when I was playing more. It was an easy midrange on a mellow hyzer or easy firebird forehand or thumber at that distance and I expected to be in the circle. Now that I don't get out as much I picked 150 ft because my game in 2017 has been a dumpster fire. ha

While I can't really drive that far, inside 150 feet I feel like I'm pretty reliable.

This is assuming a hole that isn't an insanely tight route.

Could you please explain the meaning of your question (``go up and down from'') for a non-native speaker. I can't figure it out.

It's a common term for upshot and putt. Basically at what range do you feel comfortable throwing an approach close to the basket and then hitting the putt, or you would feel disappointed if you took a 3 from that position.

with no obstacles; for me it's 225ft.
It's the distance I can accurately throw my Rhyno from a standstill.

I chose 400. If it is Wide open (since no other info was given) and low wind I would be dissapointed if Im not within 15m on the drive and then make >50% of my putts.

If we are talking about 90%+ range its probably about 150-200.

Obviously depends on the hole, the lie, and conditions, but generally I'd say, "Anything from up to 250'sh, I expect to set up a putt that I have a high probability of knocking down."

That said, if I'm 300' away from the pin on a 600 ft hole, I'm certainly not conceding that the best I'll do is card a 4.

I read the question as, " from what distance do you expect to get up and down nearly 100% of the time". If that is what is intended I would say everything inside of 250' on an open hole. Basically any time I can throw a zone I expect to get up and down.

So are we talking greens in regulation (GiR)? Or 'getting up and down' as in drive, upshot, putt - getting a par? For those that don't know, GiR is when you're putting for birdie, in terms of disc golf probably circle 2 or closer.

I think unless it's quite wooded or no major uphill elevation change that anything 400' or under I'd expect to get a par on at worst.

Since the question involved 'max', I just imagined an open hole with favorable weather, and thought about the range I'd be disappointed in myself if I didn't hole out in two throws. For me (decent upshot game, not a ton of distance off the tee), that's 250' and in (with the 3' rise to 10' run adjustment for elevation factored in).

Max? If it's wide open I'm trying for a 2 from 250' and in. But I'm much more comfortable with 200' or less.

50' is a mile when you're talking about the difference in putting range.

Last edited:
I expect (or maybe hope?) to get up and down from 350-400'. I successfully get up and down 90% of the time from 150-225' or so. But usually on the course, distance is the least significant factor. 100' can be really far away when you're off in the forest.

Increasing my stand still range has helped my up and down game dramatically. Granted wind, obstacles, etc, can changes things but from 300ft in I'm typically stand still approaching and I know it's going to give me a luck at a putt.

Latest posts