• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

When and how much arm??

But back to the original subject of the thread, I applied what Sidewinder and drk evans said about applying arm at the power pocket today and it helped greatly. That was a big focus of mine today and I had a great practice session.

Nice man. So one thing I've noticed that was brought up by the op is arm angles. I'm finding that I really lose power if I try to throw with anhyzer. I've built my swing to sling it with the "dingle arm" and I'm making solid progress when throwing a slight hyzer, but trying to go anny leads to nose up and jacked up weight transfer. I know it's good to be able to throw an anny line, but I'm also just thinking about bagging my beat TL or even a dx leopard and seeing if I can get a hyzer flip that finishes right with one of those discs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think good form is like long toss drill in baseball. You get looser and elongate the swing from the body to throw further and the quicker you shift your center the longer your swing gets stretched or lagged back behind your center and then catapulted further ahead of braced up center at release. Kind of like a perpetually longer swing drill or door frame drill.

Yes definitely. I essentially walk up if I'm throwing 380 feet or less. Anything beyond that and I do a little Brinster hop. I can feel my body elongating for a bigger step to match my momentum. It's not a stretch or reach either. The momentum kind of pushes you down and your feet wider with very little effort.

I like to call it a Seppo hop because he stays a little more horizontal. I prefer that throw "aesthetic." Yeah. I just said that.

Yes definitely. I essentially walk up if I'm throwing 380 feet or less. Anything beyond that and I do a little Brinster hop. I can feel my body elongating for a bigger step to match my momentum. It's not a stretch or reach either. The momentum kind of pushes you down and your feet wider with very little effort.

I like to call it a Seppo hop because he stays a little more horizontal. I prefer that throw "aesthetic." Yeah. I just said that.

Currently rewatching Seppo form video, trying to figure out how to just walk up and throw 380ish
giphy.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So does the use of the arm like in wall drill refer to the whole arm or simply just extending the forearm away from the body?

So does the use of the arm like in wall drill refer to the whole arm or simply just extending the forearm away from the body?
Should feel it all the way thru the body.

Should feel it all the way thru the body.

This really feels like I should also keep "pushing" from the rear leg even after it left the ground. Doing that makes the leg counter really well. I've always just left the rear leg kind of limp which now feels very wrong. Also while keeping the rear leg sort of engaged makes the body connect alot better and feels like alot of torque thru the hips.

I hope this is correct, felt really natural but still like easy power.

This thread along with another I found on Reddit "drills for maximizing hip activation" are the single most helpful threads I've come across in my 15 years of play. I just recently decided to "start from scratch" I've been a strong armer without knowing until just a couple weeks ago. My main focuses right now are hip activation and my backswing/follow through (particularly with my arm). I haven't thrown a driver in two weeks and do field work twice a day (I work from home and have a small 9 hole course a 30 second walk from my house) . I'm almost nervous to throw anything faster than my putters right now as I can imagine all the progress that I've already worked worked so hard for falling to the wayside and scrambling up my old muscle memory with my new habits. I'm getting my putters out to about the 280 range consistently with a fair amount of 300's toss in there. What I'm getting at is I can see a lot of you guys were recently in this same position as me I feel like as soon as I have an ah ha moment it's one step forward, but then a couple days later two steps back. When did you guys start to feel comfortable throwing mids/fairways again after re-assessing your form? Did you throw drivers the whole time while you were rebuilding form or stick to putters like me for several months? I am very serious about getting my form dialed. I've been at the 325-350 mark for years and finally decided I needed to make some big changes. Very happy I've done so this far.

This thread along with another I found on Reddit "drills for maximizing hip activation" are the single most helpful threads I've come across in my 15 years of play. I just recently decided to "start from scratch" I've been a strong armer without knowing until just a couple weeks ago. My main focuses right now are hip activation and my backswing/follow through (particularly with my arm). I haven't thrown a driver in two weeks and do field work twice a day (I work from home and have a small 9 hole course a 30 second walk from my house) . I'm almost nervous to throw anything faster than my putters right now as I can imagine all the progress that I've already worked worked so hard for falling to the wayside and scrambling up my old muscle memory with my new habits. I'm getting my putters out to about the 280 range consistently with a fair amount of 300's toss in there. What I'm getting at is I can see a lot of you guys were recently in this same position as me I feel like as soon as I have an ah ha moment it's one step forward, but then a couple days later two steps back. When did you guys start to feel comfortable throwing mids/fairways again after re-assessing your form? Did you throw drivers the whole time while you were rebuilding form or stick to putters like me for several months? I am very serious about getting my form dialed. I've been at the 325-350 mark for years and finally decided I needed to make some big changes. Very happy I've done so this far.

If you are getting putters out to 280-300, I'd imagine you can throw most disc 9 speed and under with that same arm speed and get close to a full flight, assuming you are throwing nose down. The key is remembering you can use the same swing. I had a nice smooth swing and was getting 7 speed eagles out past 350 pretty consistently. I added in some faster discs and decided I needed to throw them harder and went all strong arm torque monkey for a few months. Just gotta remember slow is smooth and smooth is far no matter what disc you are throwing

If you are getting putters out to 280-300, I'd imagine you can throw most disc 9 speed and under with that same arm speed and get close to a full flight, assuming you are throwing nose down. The key is remembering you can use the same swing. I had a nice smooth swing and was getting 7 speed eagles out past 350 pretty consistently. I added in some faster discs and decided I needed to throw them harder and went all strong arm torque monkey for a few months. Just gotta remember slow is smooth and smooth is far no matter what disc you are throwing

Thank you for the affirmation. I think I'm going to keep the putters and mids in the bag for a while longer before I start throwing anything faster. I JUST started getting a good hip activation and am back to stand stills now. Getting my putter stand stills out to about 200-225 so I think I'm still heading in the right direction I don't want to mess anything up lol I actually went out and threw some fairways a couple days ago and I was not happy with the results 😂 slightly off topic but has anyone in here had trouble keeping there back arm locked/power down to hip. I'm RHBH and right hand dominate but I do everything else left handed (I.e. shooting a shot gun, baseball, hockey, ball golf all left handed etc...) it's as if my left arm wants to swing with my right arm and when I try the pocket technique I feel like I have now power/just noodly. In my videos my left arm just kind of flails forward into my follow threw looks ridiculous on film lol I assume that alone is costing me a good 25-50 as i assume it's slowing the whole rotation down.

Latest posts