• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

When is the time to upgrade?

StokedNBroke

Bogey Member
I have been playing a couple of months now & have been working with putters & mids the whole time. I'm truly in no hurry but I always ask myself; "When is the appropriate time to incorporate a fairway driver?" I am always told to go to the Cheetah first. Any other recommendations as far as Fairway drivers go for your first?
When does one decide to move up to a fairway driver?

Sent from my LM-K500 using Tapatalk

Once you feel you are getting all of the distance you can out of your mids and need more distance that's probably the time to disc up.

As far as discs things like the FD and River are hard to beat for your first fairway.

I have been playing a couple of months now & have been working with putters & mids the whole time. When does one decide to move up to a fairway driver?

StokedNBroke my friend, you are a rarity for sure. Probably 97% of players, myself included either start out with starter packs or with assorted high speed discs they received from friends. Even with discs that are "wrong" for new players most people figure it out.

If I were you I would check out higher speed fairway and distance drivers. You may want to avoid the 13 and 14 speed drivers and super stable (X,X,0,4) discs, but then again those type discs have a purpose too.
Good luck!

TL3 is a big jump in stability from a TL - TLs are nice and glidey, while TL3s like to be thrown hard.

Buy yourself a Halo TL3 cause they're sweet, but get a nice ~170g Star TL/FD/Leopard as your first driver. Besides, I can almost guarantee you're gonna lose your first driver eventually, so hang on to that TL3 til you're confident in it!

Once you feel you are getting all of the distance you can out of your mids and need more distance that's probably the time to disc up.

As far as discs things like the FD and River are hard to beat for your first fairway.
Hard to beat as in break in or hard to beat as in; can't compete with them, they are great.

StokedNBroke my friend, you are a rarity for sure. Probably 97% of players, myself included either start out with starter packs or with assorted high speed discs they received from friends. Even with discs that are "wrong" for new players most people figure it out.

If I were you I would check out higher speed fairway and distance drivers. You may want to avoid the 13 and 14 speed drivers and super stable (X,X,0,4) discs, but then again those type discs have a purpose too.

Good luck!
You're saying to grab a speed 12 driver & throw it even though my arm will not achieve what the disc needs to be powered?
AND; we are acknowledging that right out of the gate I will be underpowering a high powered disc which we know will not allow the disc to preform the way it is intended to?
(Not saying this being a dick. Asking because its contrary to what I have been told by many.)

You're saying to grab a speed 12 driver & throw it even though my arm will not achieve what the disc needs to be powered?
AND; we are acknowledging that right out of the gate I will be underpowering a high powered disc which we know will not allow the disc to preform the way it is intended to?
(Not saying this being a dick. Asking because its contrary to what I have been told by many.)

There's no way to say you will be under powering faster discs until you try. If you have friends that will let you throw some of their discs you should give it a try. If they do not fly as they are supposed to then you keep working up to them.
I know a lot people who are good athletes who could throw high speed drivers very well right off the bat.

Hard to beat as in break in or hard to beat as in; can't compete with them, they are great.

Sorry. I meant the FD and River are great fairway discs to start out with. Heck, they are great discs in general and not just to start out with. The FD is probably one of my most thrown discs.

Sorry. I meant the FD and River are great fairway discs to start out with. Heck, they are great discs in general and not just to start out with. The FD is probably one of my most thrown discs.

Me too. I actually started messing with a 168g D-line with minimal wear I grabbed in a used bin. Flippy enough that I can actually throw a serviceable BH roller. Easy standstill distance in a pinch too.

OP grab an S-line FD, it will serve you well for years. I bag the first one I got 3+ years ago for a slightly US fairway.

Relay!!! says the Gyro pusher!

Halo? Hell no! You want some beef a teebird is plenty! Or a Banshee.. Halo? Haha a Bolt is closer but no. 160 FL would be better (modified firebird) than a Halo or a nuke ss. Umm actually anything in the speed 7-9 is better hahaha ha ha.

There are benefits to something stable but slow speed and light to develop a FH, utility thumber etc.. In a few months. Keep doing what you are doing.

Last edited:
I have been playing a couple of months now & have been working with putters & mids the whole time. I'm truly in no hurry but I always ask myself; "When is the appropriate time to incorporate a fairway driver?" I am always told to go to the Cheetah first. Any other recommendations as far as Fairway drivers go for your first?
When does one decide to move up to a fairway driver?

A more OS disc that is relatively straight during the flight is the Stalker, sorry the disc only comes in production in Z.

Faster a Valkyrie and the Glow Champion will be more like older not as in, OS Champion, this is if deciding that as the factor for the plastic.

A more OS disc that is relatively straight during the flight is the Stalker, sorry the disc only comes in production in Z.

Faster a Valkyrie and the Glow Champion will be more like older not as in, OS Champion, this is if deciding that as the factor for the plastic.

Sigh.....the Stalker is not an OS disc. The Stalker is available in Titanium and ESP, in addition to Z line.

Casey, I have nicely asked you, at least a half dozen times, to STOP providing inaccurate information to new players. It is not helpful and really can slow the potential progress. If you don't want to take the time to substantiate your claims, simply stop posting on these type threads. :wall::wall::wall::wall: