• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Whic qualities make a disc skip

josser

Eagle Member
I've been thinking about this a bit since remembering a discussion in the PD thread about C-PDs and ESP Predators flying quite similar except that the C-PD doesn't skip as much as the Pred. Why is this? Is it because the Pred has a harder fade?

So which characteristics make a disc that will have big skips when thrown flat. It seems from my own experience like it would be something that is pretty neutral HSS and high LSS. That way the disc will have a nice long flat flight and then fade and hit the ground at the magic angle that makes it jump.

I've never thrown a firebird, but I understand that this is a great disc for skipping. Based on my thinking, wouldn't the Trident also be a great skipping disc? Something like the xXx seems to not be as great since it is fades the whole flight and ends up hitting the ground at too steep of an angle.

You should learn to manipulate the throw to get the skip you want...

The XXX is excellent for hard left or right skips( forehand and backhand) throw the disc hard, low with a little hyzer and you will achieve your skip. Try all your discs.

For the boring answer the disc needs to be LSS so it hits the ground on a hyzer and it NEEDS to accelerate as it fades(fall harder than it flies (great examples tend to be overstable like a predator or firebird, the teebird can excel at this two to a lesser degree)

I think the above is true.

A lot of people feel that overstable discs skip hardest, the reason for this, I think, is the that disc is usually moving fast left (RHBH) when it hits the ground, where a less stable disc will be moving less quickly in that direction.