• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Which Boss is the bossiest boss to ever boss

Pwingles

* Ace Member *
Ive had a boss in every plastic they've made them in so far. These are 4 completely different discs, barely similar at all. Ive noticed with other discs that the flight and glide can be affected seemingly by a different plastic, but this is kind of silly. Is this due to a different mold perhaps? It seems odd to me that the same kind of disc can be as different as this mold is between plastics. I have lots of discs of the same mold, different plastic, and none of them are any where near this drastic in the flight difference.

Champ=meathook, super overstable, refuses to break in
Star= was never overstable, went from stable to understable in 2 or 3 months
Pro= best version ive had, perfect blend of stability, and glide
R-Pro= POS, IMO (good in cold weather tho, may be its only use)

Anyone else have similar experience with the Boss or any other mold?

i wish the star ones were more domey, instead the ones ive seen and thrown are all relatively flat

Hurricane said:
Why lighter Boss is more overstable than max weight Boss, normally max weight is overstable???

They have to use a different blend of Star ("Starlite") to be able to mold Bosses in the lighter weights and it tends to cool differently in a way that makes it overstable.

JimW said:
Hurricane said:
Why lighter Boss is more overstable than max weight Boss, normally max weight is overstable???

They have to use a different blend of Star ("Starlite") to be able to mold Bosses in the lighter weights and it tends to cool differently in a way that makes it overstable.

Yep the light star ones are the most overstable of the bunch. My favorite are the Pro bosses (170-172) Throw them with a little hyzer and they bomb.

TeamTollandDG said:
JimW said:
Hurricane said:

Yep the light star ones are the most overstable of the bunch. My favorite are the Pro bosses (170-172) Throw them with a little hyzer and they bomb.

Until you sand down the flashing on the underside of the rim, then they're flippy again.

The Boss's Boss Guide: For people who like Bosses.

Champ Bosses -
FR - Gummy middle, Low Dome, Fast, used for hyzerflips and long wide S shots
DF Early Runs - Low Dome, Stiff, Fast, used for powerhyzers, Flat shots, Long Range left hook (RHBH)
DF Standards - Moderate to Domey, Stiff, Plastic slightly tacky, Really overstable, Great headwind distance, not for the weak of arm at all
Bubble Boss - 167 Champ, Very Overstable, might be the fastest boss made, again not for the weak of arm

Star Bosses -
172 to 175 Seethrough - Star/Champ mix, More stable heavy star, IMO Slower than the champ, Beat in much faster
172 to 175 opaque - Regular, Less stable heavy star, Slower (IMO), Beat in faster
The two star bosses mentioned above are kinda the mellow johnny of the boss, learn on these.
172 to 175 - Sparkle Boss, has sparkles in plastic, don't know if its any different than regular stars though. Japan Open stamp.
167 to 169 - Starlight, Really overstable, kind of freakish... Fast, I'm not a fan

Pro Bosses -
USDGC Dark blue - More stable than most others, Starts stable, Great hyzerflip / long hyzer disc, Beats in and loses alot of HSS, but not much LSS
Regular Production - Less stable than USDGC's out of the box, S Curves out of the box, Wide side to side play

R-Pro Bosses -
Throw them about 5 times, and then buy a new one... if you're into that sort of thing.

Echo Star Bosses -
Only time will tell

Roc Lover said:
is that legal to do? i mean if you were to use that disc in tournament play?

Throw it across tar or cement and it will have the same effect. Many PDGA sponsored event's involves tar as OB. I doubt a pro throws away their disc every time it skids the pavement.

Flashing is not part of the discs intended design. It is the result of the manufacturing process. Therefore you are not modifying the disc to fly different than what was intended.

Trey133 said:

Champ Bosses -
DF Early Runs - Low Dome, Stiff, Fast, used for powerhyzers, Flat shots, Long Range left hook (RHBH)
DF Standards - Moderate to Domey, Stiff, Plastic slightly tacky, Really overstable, Great headwind distance, not for the weak of arm at all
Bubble Boss - 167 Champ, Very Overstable, might be the fastest boss made, again not for the weak of arm

Star Bosses -
172 to 175 Seethrough - Star/Champ mix, More stable heavy star, IMO Slower than the champ, Beat in much faster
172 to 175 opaque - Regular, Less stable heavy star, Slower (IMO), Beat in faster
The two star bosses mentioned above are kinda the mellow johnny of the boss, learn on these.
172 to 175 - Sparkle Boss, has sparkles in plastic, don't know if its any different than regular stars though. Japan Open stamp.
167 to 169 - Starlight, Really overstable, kind of freakish... Fast, I'm not a fan

Pro Bosses -
USDGC Dark blue - More stable than most others, Starts stable, Great hyzerflip / long hyzer disc, Beats in and loses alot of HSS, but not much LSS
Regular Production - Less stable than USDGC's out of the box, S Curves out of the box, Wide side to side play

R-Pro Bosses -
Throw them about 5 times, and then buy a new one... if you're into that sort of thing.

Echo Star Bosses -
Only time will tell

This is pretty close to what I've found throwing them all as well.

discspeed said:
Trey133 said:

Champ Bosses -

Star Bosses -

Pro Bosses -

R-Pro Bosses -

Echo Star Bosses -
Only time will tell

This is pretty close to what I've found throwing them all as well.

I feel like we may have a pretty similar power/form ratio as every review you do with a disc I have the same experience with it. I will say, I don't think I can go down the Halo road though! That thing is wild!

I think i just may get a different champ in a lighter weight and see if that is better, the Pro, i love it, and at 9 or 10 bucks its a good value also. So i guess thats next in line for future disc purchases

Trey133 said:
I'd vote for this one as the bossiest boss to ever boss. I've been abusing mine for over a year, and it still isn't seasoned to its sweet spot quite yet.

the starlite ones are super beefy! had two but one is enough cuz you almost never need the starlite cuz they fly like longer firebirds.

the big list of bosses is right on and seems like a great summary!

The Starlites are super beefy unless you can throw over 400' and get a gust of wind...once turned they do not come back until they've gone a long way in the wrong direction. Super squirrelville.

I like champion bosses for the most part. I do have one stubborn one that doesn't glide well and is a pig.

Most of them are moderately stable with good glide.

The Rpro boss is crappy, but is also the easiest 400' you'll ever get.

Latest posts