• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Westside] Who Throws A Boatman?

HERB brooks

Birdie Member
So i've been looking thru old threads and this disc seems to by and large be glanced over by the community. As someone who throws forehand for every shot except for approach and putt duties, I really like this mold. This was the first distance driver that I was able to click with. While the rim is much wider than any of my other discs, this still feels comfortable, and is a very consistent flier, so long as I don't throw it in substantial headwinds.

For the last couple of months I have been trying to simplify my bag, and carry speed 9 or less discs to improve form, but everytime I try to kick the Boatman from my bag it proves itself as a valuable option. I have a 169 gram VIP, that flies like a long version of a Teebird (long and straight with dependable fade). I throw the Boatman if I need it to go far and finish just to the right of where I am aiming (again RHFH). I briefly flirted with a 167 gram C Line PD, however, I feel the Boatman may still play an important role for me despite really liking the PD. The PD is slightly more overstable in my experience, while the Boatman has a slight bit more turn than the PD. For me the two flew similarly, with the PD working better as a wind fighter than the Boatman.

Any one else bag the Boatman? I have seen some people describe extremely beefy Boatman, mine is definitely not too overstable. What are other's experiences with this mold?

I actually kicked the Boatman because I had several overlapping molds: Orc, Boatman, PD, and sometimes the St Pro. I still have my Boatmans (Boatmen?) and might put one back in as a sidearm disc. I originally checked it out because of its rating, which I feel is pretty close, although a lot of people compare it to the Wraith. Nothing wrong with a Wraith clone, though, I think it is one of Westside's best molds. For now, though, the PD covers all my bases in P, S, and C plastics.

Since throwing the world when if first came out I discovered westside has some serious disc engineers behind the scene.

Every mold it seems is so well thought out. Although they may not get an in the bag spot they have always gotten my respect.

Someone should really do a story on how these guys got their experience crafting frisbees. Seems to me they are genius with figuring out the physics of flight through a disc.

Last edited:
I throw my TP Boatman in places where I need a bit more turn and more glide than my Opto Scythes.

I agree from my experience with Westside. I have liked pretty much every mold of theirs that I have tried so far though. Just surprised how little love the boatman gets

How do you get a negative value for years played? that suggests you intend to start playing soon?

Ya, I've been impressed with how many West Side molds end up in my bag because they just end up being perfect at a given task.

Just picked one up! Pretty hyped to rip it.

vqrqErF.jpg

I'm also dialing back to 9 speed for my backhand but luckily I was able to justify keeping the Boatman since it's exclusively a sidearm thrower. I love the Boatman. My orange VIP Boatman has been in my bag for two years. Still straight but glides nicely since it's so broken in. Love this disc. I also have a bright yellow VIP that is fairly new and was very overstable and much more domey than the orange one. It's already becoming less overstable so I'm curious what it'll turn into. I'm a VIP guy so haven't thrown much TP, do Boatman's (?Boatmen?) generally have more (any) turn in TP?

Lost my Boatman on Friday night, gonna have to get a new one now, maybe in TP or Recyled this time to try out

I've got a recycled boatman - good amount of fade. So the sorcerer is speed 13 with 0 turn 2 fade and it's flippy (IMO) --- the sword is speed 12 with 0 turn and 2 fade (pretty accurate IMO) --- the boatman is speed 11 with 0 turn and 2 fade but flies more like 0 turn 3 fade (IMO)........crazy westside flight ratings with 0 turn 2 fade discs