• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Why Change Disc Brands

Well, I am starting with putters and we will go from there. I got two new putters for playing in a tournament this past weekend and then used a gift certificate in the players pack to help me buy two more. Now I just need a practice basket to realy spend some time putting and figureing things out.

i switched to almost all discraft (i still carry a sidewinder) but i just like the plastic's more and i feel like the discs are more consistant, you can buy a disc you lost online in the same weight and know it's gonna fly the same, with innova i tend to find a lot more air bubbles/specs etc. i just don't like innova as much

i switched to almost all discraft (i still carry a sidewinder) but i just like the plastic's more and i feel like the discs are more consistant, you can buy a disc you lost online in the same weight and know it's gonna fly the same, with innova i tend to find a lot more air bubbles/specs etc. i just don't like innova as much

I recently ordered two Grooves from Prime discs that had either bubbles or specks. I sent them pics asking them if they should've been X-Outs. Steven sent Innova an email with mine in tow. Innova sent me two brand new Grooves to make up for it. I hate that it had to come to that, but at least Innova stood behind their products. I tend to buy mostly Discraft too for the same reasons you do. Consistency (and quality) over quantity any day.

Why change brands?

Cause you throw discraft

I am in the process of changing to a mixed bag. I've started to get fed up with losing a great innova disc and then going to the store to buy a replacement only to find that the replacement just doesn't fly the same. I currently have 1.5 discraft discs (i'm trying out a force while my friend decides which of my discs he will take in place of it). I've had some gateway discs on and off, but I've never kept them in my bag because they are really easy discs to trade/lose. As soon as I can try out some gateway putters, i'll be all over that. And when i've got a spare $70, i'll probably hit up the discraft misprint deal. I've heard some great things about lat 64, and I really want to try that out.

However, I refuse to give up my rocs. When you can pull out a disc that you know you can throw 300' on any line, throw rollers with it, and do almost anything else with it, especially throw it 320' on a rope and have it sit down perfectly flat, that's a disc that you search hours upon hours for to make sure that it's just the right one.

No I had it right the first time, and thats funny coming from someone named teebird. When did discpa start making a teebird:)

Fair enough, but my screen name is a long time nickname from college, not a reference to the disc. I will freely admit that the TeeBird is an incredible disc (one of the best ever made), but it just isn't the same in 12X form as it is in 11X. I've never said that about any Discraft disc I've ever replaced. That being said, until I find a better fairway driver for me the TeeBird won't leave my bag (neither will the Groove, but those are the only two Innova's I'll replace again). If I had my way, I would love to stock up on Red Champion 11X's (in the 168-169 range) so I wouldn't ever have to buy another 12X, though.

I am an equal opportunity thrower. If it helps my game, I don't care what the label says. But when I go to replace that disc and the new one doesn't act like the one I lost, then I start wondering why I keep buying it. That's happened more times than I care to count with Innova. Never with Discraft. That's why I started making the switch. Plus I think ESP plastic is terrific (every one feels the same but have never had that experience with Star). I've never bought an Elite-Z disc that was cloudy (always clear). I've got two Champion TeeBirds that I bought on the same day and one is cloudy and flatter (11X) and one is clear and domey(12X).

This is beyond my reply, but I think it's funny that the name Discrap is thrown around by all you Innova lovers, but once the subject of consistency is brought up, it's so quiet you can hear the crickets chirping.

Repost (don't know how that happened). Not trying to post whore, I promise.

Last edited:
This is beyond my reply, but I think it's funny that the name Discrap is thrown around by all you Innova lovers, but once the subject of consistency is brought up, it's so quiet you can hear the crickets chirping.

lol

those that throw stones shouldn't live in glass houses.

I think that carrying more than Innova is essential, I started with all Innova because I trusted their rating system more. But recently I started throwing some discraft discs and I love them. There are some things that an Innova disc won't do. You have nothing to lose by trying something new.

Never with Discraft.
I'd avoid Crushes and Flashes, then. You might be disappointed. I'd also avoid conversations about people buying first run, second first run, or midnight Buzzzes because of how they fly. Don't compare the orignial run of Trackers to the current ones, either or try to find the right dome or opaqueness for a Z Predator.

All manufacturers have variation between runs and within plastics. Innova sells more discs so it only appears worse with them.

well, first, off, i think 80% of the people here who claim to use disccraft or any other brand other than innova, are just being stupidly arrogant who ignoring the clear best disc company just to be "cool" and "unique" by not using the main brand. i use innova, only innova. it is the most asscesible and the most diverse comapany. in my opinion, even though nobody would admit it, the only reason most people don't use innova is not to conform to the masses. who cares? i believe most true disc golfers truly know innova is the best, but want to be "unique" and break away from the clear top choice.

well, first, off, i think 80% of the people here who claim to use disccraft or any other brand other than innova, are just being stupidly arrogant who ignoring the clear best disc company just to be "cool" and "unique" by not using the main brand. i use innova, only innova. it is the most asscesible and the most diverse comapany. in my opinion, even though nobody would admit it, the only reason most people don't use innova is not to conform to the masses. who cares? i believe most true disc golfers truly know innova is the best, but want to be "unique" and break away from the clear top choice.

bold claim. but coming from chuck norris, is it true? i think innova is so much better because thy were the first, same thing with microsoft

Good point Solomon.

I think that the DG industry is headed towards three or four major players and then a bunch of small guys out there just trying to make a buck. Innova will always be there and so will Discraft. Gateway and Latitude 64 are the two other companies that seem to be doing things right at this point. I would love to see Daredevil get their DG in gear and make some bigger noise.

What I have found so far is that whatever you throw as long as you know your discs you are in a good place. I do like Innova things but am frustrated by the hype behind them and consistency is an issue. I have really enjoyed the way the Discraft discs fly, at least the ones that I have. This has not always been true for me with Innova. I have some of the same inconsistency with the few Gateway discs that I have and I would put them on the same level as Innova as far as that is concerned. They do make some great things.

But, this is not a thread that was intended to be about which brand one should pick but more about why one should switch over or not from using one brand to a mixed bag or a unmixed bag from a different brand. Secondarily, what it the best way to go through this process?

I think it depends where you are as well and if you have a brick and mortar disc golf store near you. I would suspect that here in Michigan with a disc golf store within 20 miles you see a lot more discraft on the courses. Not to say innova still isn't the dominant brand though.

But, this is not a thread that was intended to be about which brand one should pick but more about why one should switch over or not from using one brand to a mixed bag or a unmixed bag from a different brand. Secondarily, what it the best way to go through this process?

The best way to grow a mixed bag is to start asking questions about other companies' discs and buying/trading a few new discs. What are your general tastes (flight paths/plastic types/needs)?