• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Why do discs beat in?

Kinda like the action you get with a tilt or something stupid OS.. it just knifes back, kinda like a spike hyzer. Maybe it's a term I made up but I think some folks found here have used it.

OK. I was confused if you were saying a finish right (for a rhbh) is a fade. But I agree that fade is inherently a finish left (for rhbh). My own experience is that discs that beat in enough to flip for me always lose their fade first. But I don't have much power so that's only slower drivers (e.g. leopard) in base plastic for me.

Most suggestions I've seen on how beating in a disc alters flight characteristics is due to either:

1. Lowered PLH after impact causes discs to fly more understable. The reasoning being that it's the same effect with different molds having different PLHs.

2. Dings and scratches. Reasoning is that it causes turbulent airflow just like golf ball dimples do..

I think it is the variation in PLH you get due to impacts. The impacts you get don't lower the PLH equally accross the whole edge of the disc. I think this is more likely to cause significant turbulent air flow around the edge when compared to dings and scratches.

See image attached of a new and beat in disc of the same mold. Pictures taken around the same time but after rotating the disc. The PLH of the yellow beat in disc is lower on one part of the edge than another.
62ea0abc7c5dbb0aa6f33a8a79de55e0.jpg

Sent from my SM-G991N using Tapatalk

Latest posts