• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Why does /r/discgolf suck so much? (reddit)

Status
Not open for further replies.
That place was weird; I could never figure out why disc golfers wanted so badly to air their dirty laundry in full public view.
I still don't give a **** about private vs public. *shrug*

Anyone want to know about my last bowel movement?

Either the folks over there are that stupid... or they're just new to disc golf, and waaay out kicking their coverage of disc golf knowledge.

why can't it be both? because it's definitely both

I recall a conversation I had on lolFB back in like 2013 or so...someone asking about this newcomer Anthon who's on the come up. The amount of things that I was called simply because I said he wasn't new and had almost won worlds in back to back years, yeesh.

Last edited:
why can't it be both? because it's definitely both

I recall a conversation I had on lolFB back in like 2013 or so...someone asking about this newcomer Anthon who's on the come up. The amount of things that I was called simply because I said he wasn't new and had almost won worlds in back to back years, yeesh.
The institutional knowledge of any gathering of disc golfers right now is at an all-time low. I went to club doubles a few weeks ago, and these guys have no idea that DGPT wasn't always a thing. It's not surprising that online conversations between people that have been playing disc golf for two years or less lack any sort of grounding in reality of what disc golf has always been.

The institutional knowledge of any gathering of disc golfers right now is at an all-time low. I went to club doubles a few weeks ago, and these guys have no idea that DGPT wasn't always a thing. It's not surprising that online conversations between people that have been playing disc golf for two years or less lack any sort of grounding in reality of what disc golf has always been.

We "serious" players get frustrated when hordes invade the course. Groups of 8 or more. Sunday, we were finishing out round as a group of about a dozen were starting on 1. They all threw off the tee pad and then scrambled to the fairway to take their second throws. Looked like an Easter egg hunt with all those people.

It occurred to me that that is how the vast majority of people see disc golf (those that are aware of it at all). Just a fun game you play a few times per year. Like something a church group would do or a summer camp activity.

Oblivious to the serious nature of disc golf. I'd compare it to ball golf versus putt-putt. To most, DG is putt-putt.

That's okay. It's meant to be fun. Just glad we weren't behind them. I imagine they finished 4 or 5 hours later, if at all.

I read something today where somebody was showing off their sexton mailcall and another person asked how they flew. There was debate over the previous years flights and somebody said sextons were supposed to be more overstable and that's why they used the old 11x mold on them.

Couple people were like oh that makes sense.

Same conversation had numerous people talking about certain runs being understable firebirds, which made me chuckle.

Speaking of dgr, whatever happened to Blake? Loved reading his posts/reviews/articles.

Here is this gem. There are still some of these around, but maybe it was worse when Chunk was floating around, lolol.

Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:42 am
what makes me laugh are the people who've been playing dg for a year but have 2k posts and talk like experts. maybe they should spend more time playing dg and less time on dgcr. :lol:

I find that if I pick and choose what I read, both places are fine. I'm a longtime poster here, but lately I look at reddit more often, simply because it's more active during tournaments.

This thread is amazing.

I've actually described General here to people as "like reddit but bitter old guys instead of clueless kids" that this thread alone has a bit of a 'get off my lawn' vibe to it makes me chuckle.
I'm sure some of my issue has come from the propensity to post from my phone while at a bar at times so... yeah that's on me.

Anyway there is much more than a thin veneer of info here. This is absolutely the best place to get form critique and feedback. The knowledge for the rules discussion is amazing. Of course like anywhere you need to learn who to ignore, BUT there IS some of the best info you can find here.

I went to Reddit first when I first started (restarted the game) to try and learn how to throw. I didn't know a damn thing about how to throw but I 100% knew most of the people parroting advice had zero idea what they were talking about. I never went back, I can only imagine what it has turned into in the last 2 years.

I'm not a fan of everything here, but i'm a huge fan of a lot of this site and simply don't have to go to the places I don't want to be. I can take a break, I can lurk for a time, but I will come back for the info that is here.

Well I see no problem with that one. But I've been wrong before...

Seems well intentioned, I can't believe it's gone ape crap over that...

I've met miss Allen she's a lovely lady. Haven't met the man himself but hear he's nothing short of a wonderful person as well...shame it gets psuedo political so quick:wall:

So why do you keep going back there? You seem to be embracing the suck. :p

And then keep dragging it here, encouraging DGCR users to engage? There are a few local facebook sites here, that I could participate in local social media nonsense. Of course, as an old internet curmudgeon, I would not likely fit in. :\

So why do you keep going back there? You seem to be embracing the suck. :p

let's be honest - there's just not many places where you can get a forum for disc golf discussion. It's here and reddit, if you're not deep into using most social media (like myself - instagram is the only thing I still use and it's nearly unusable with all of the sponsored stuff forced into my feed)

Status
Not open for further replies.