• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Why don't they make any fast & light drivers?

I too like my discs light. Although they are hard to find, the best places to look are for the CFR Japan Open or Asia open. Seems the Destoyer is about at their limits for premium plastic (150g range). However with looking around and the help of a friend. I've found Katana's in the low 160's, seems like the diff is at 164g and below, anything higher flies diff. I always check discgolfvalues for the Japan and Asia open discs. That's were I've had the best luck finding light weight premium plastic.

As well as the R Pro Boss, try a 150 Dx Destroyer, and also the 150 Dx Teerex.
The Destroyers are domey and quite stable and do well into the wind.

Try the Vulcan.
I've been throwing it and I like it.
Not really overstable like other fast discs. Designed for non-pro arms.

I have a friend that doesn't have much of an arm, and I found a 160 DX Wraith that I gave him, and he can send that one out pretty far. You can't throw it in any kind of a head wind, but for him , it works.

Aside from the big guys, Lightning and Quest make light stuff. If you're looking for light and very fast try an ultralight Inferno. I wasn't very consistent with mine. But when I hit it just right, it'd really sail.

I have a friend that doesn't have much of an arm, and I found a 160 DX Wraith that I gave him, and he can send that one out pretty far. You can't throw it in any kind of a head wind, but for him , it works.

If you can find one... DX Wraiths are made as low as 150 gms.

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys -- I currently throw a 150 Champ Valk and love it. I've never had a big arm, but this disc has always been a good fit. Good control, fair distance. On a good toss, I can get it out about 300', maybe a little more. I would just like to try something faster and know that I will only be able to throw it if it is light. I have tried Bosses, Beasts, Nukes, Katanas, everything in higher weights and they go no where for me and far too overstable for my liking -- I just don't have the arm. But, the Vulcan and R-pro Boss sound good -- I might give them a try.

Thanks,
Garret

Thanks again for the suggestions, guys -- I went to the local DG store today and picked up a couple discs to try. I got a 158g Star Vulcan and a 144g TeeBird. I gave them a few tosses at the park, but wasn't able to play a full round (the wind was howling today). I really like the Vulcan -- the very first toss, I got atleast 40 more feet than with my 150 Valk. It held about the same line and I really like the grip. I think I found a winner -- I can't wait until the weather gets nicer again so I can get out it try it for real.

Thanks!
Garret

But, all the faster discs are heavy! /QUOTE]

How wrong you are my friend.

I have wraiths, starfires, valkyries, vikings, bosses, dragons, wahoos, and other fine fast discs in ultralight flavors. Some as low as 130 grams.

I don't have any of them in the bag right now, but I tend to keep a 150 dx destroyer in the bag for long open shots when I'm feeling frisky.

my longest distance drives every were about 430 with a 150 wraith and a 150 archangel.

\/\/