• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Why the Beato drill is so important.

I see somebody bumped in a new version of him doing the drill. I'll have to check that one out.

The biggest issue I've always had with this drill is that if you do not do the drill properly with the proper understanding of HOW and WHY to do the drill, it will actually hurt your game in the long run as it will teach you to muscle the disc.

I tried to make a video on it a while ago, but I wasn't very happy with how it came out. I think I took it down, I don't remember.

I watched simon and paul essentially do this, but they were no effort throwing 200 feet. and I'm like. "I think I got this"
And the key with the drill is learning to flop your arm out with your body, not with your arm.
And most people I see with this drill is them trying to throw it with their arm only.

Ehh. I'll re-watch it and see if I can give myself a better refresher on it.

It feels like the only way I can get this drill to work is by keeping my shoulder closed to the target until my weight is forward. (IE, leading the weight shift with my back facing away from the target). Doing this on a normal throw would put the disc behind me though, but I've seem some newer and younger pros start to do that.

It feels like the only way I can get this drill to work is by keeping my shoulder closed to the target until my weight is forward. (IE, leading the weight shift with my back facing away from the target). Doing this on a normal throw would put the disc behind me though, but I've seem some newer and younger pros start to do that.

That doesn't sound wrong to me, if I understand you.

Trying to hold the static right-pec position and just go from there is what most people probably have an issue learning from.

Adding even a tiny bit of the 'tilted swirl starburst' is the secret sauce.

Try standing in a slightly closed stance, with your arm held out straight at about 11 o'clock to the target, where you ideally release an actual throw. You will have to keep the arm rigid for this part, but release the wrist. Use just your lower body to shift weight until you can make your wrist rock back and forth rhythmically, making you look like some kind of deranged jazz fan snapping to a beat.

This might be too cryptic to help and might need a video or something,

I'll try it. Certainly I've done the Beato hundreds if not thousands without understanding it yet. At 1100, where am I holding the disc? not the back I'm sure.

I'll try it. Certainly I've done the Beato hundreds if not thousands without understanding it yet. At 1100, where am I holding the disc? not the back I'm sure.

My little idea here is without a disc, just your body. I should have clarified that. You can hold a disc, but if you do I recommend holding it as if its a fan for trying to feel this one this slowly.

I sent my old video of me teaching this more "properly" to somebody for review. I never liked it. And Will probably re-do it regardless. But I never had good feedback at all.
And I think this is the one Loopghost jumped in on and started criticizing some weird thing I was doing that wasn't part of the drill, which didn't help any. hahaha