• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Why the obsession on mids and fairways with lots of glide?

I think you missed the point here. This is exactly why the OP limited the discussion to Mids and FDs. If the distance is reachable for a noodle arm with a glidey mid, it surely is reachable for him also with a driver. The question is, which shot is more consistent especially if there is any kind of wind.
I have all sorts of finesse shots I use an understable disc like an XD or Comet for that I can't hit with a fairway or driver. If it's an open field? Sure, you can duplicate the distance. In the woods? I throw a lot of noodle-arm backhand turnover placement shots. Other guys flick stuff on the same throws, but my shots are more accurate with backhand throws with understable discs. Understable discs are great in the woods; wind is usually no real issue there.

In the end, who cares if you flick a Wizard and I backhand an XD on the same shot. That Wizard flick is your most consistent shot there and my backhand XD is my most consistent shot there. I don't see the big deal here.

I have all sorts of finesse shots I use an understable disc like an XD or Comet for that I can't hit with a fairway or driver. If it's an open field? Sure, you can duplicate the distance. In the woods? I throw a lot of noodle-arm backhand turnover placement shots. Other guys flick stuff on the same throws, but my shots are more accurate with backhand throws with understable discs. Understable discs are great in the woods; wind is usually no real issue there.

In the end, who cares if you flick a Wizard and I backhand an XD on the same shot. That Wizard flick is your most consistent shot there and my backhand XD is my most consistent shot there. I don't see the big deal here.
:clap:
I Backhand Wizards and Flick Comets, but I also Backhand Comets and Flick Wizards. Both are inconsistent :wall:

Given an open field, there is no way that I'm throwing my seasoned 170g X Comet but for a wristy backhand upshot with zero room to move; it's my go to. And for a slow turnover at lower power, it's my favorite. It's all about hitting the right line and distance most consistently. Based on fairway shape, distance and wind conditions a glidey turnover is a more reliable (for me) than a overstable thumber, sometimes it's not. They both could hit the same line. Neither is necessarily right or wrong, well except when it hits a tree and ricochets into oblivion.

Last edited:
I think that the <325' crowd will generally prefer glidey molds for all of these shots, moreso than people who throw 375'+. I know that's why I initially liked discs like the River or Core. But now that I have a lot more distance than I used to, I find that those discs almost never get used in open shots. I would rather throw a more consistent disc that I know how to range and that won't go off course.

But, if I have a low ceiling shot, say 250', I will definitely throw the glidey mid. I would way rather do that and hit the gap than throw a fairway driver softly or have to hit it with a putter that I don't trust at that height. Same with a 300' shot that's low ceiling, I'll throw the glidey fairway. Plus then you don't have the fade to worry about. But on an open shot I will throw a more consistent disc and with more power.

Basically I think these discs are useful for people who don't throw as far, in lots of situations except wind (plus they are sensitive so they reward good form), and they are useful in powered down or woods shots for people with more power. But if you have the power and feel like you can hit gaps while still throwing hard enough to make your less glidey molds get there and hit the ground before fading, then that's fine too.

Plus I like that lots of these discs won't fade, so if I need a powered down turnover/anny shot, I really don't have to worry about fading OB in the back of my head, and it results in a better shot. Or I just flick...

The glide is not the same thing as US. You can have two straight discs where one is glidey and the other one is not. For example a beat in Blend Suspect and a new Opto Pure are both very straight discs for fairly similar distances, but dramatically different lines.
No, I really have no idea what you are talking about. I have to assume since they are both straight and the same distance that one is a high line and one is a low line?

No, I really have no idea what you are talking about. I have to assume since they are both straight and the same distance that one is a high line and one is a low line?
Well yeah, the Suspect is a faster and less glidey disc so it will get there faster and on a lower line whereas the Pure or a Wizard will need more air and time.

My problem is that people seem to think that all mids are super glidey and only meathooks are not. A late fade may look like a glidey shot, but in fact it is just straight, glidey or not.

Glidey slow discs keep the OAT monster at bay a lot better than bricks.

If you're blowing by a basket with a glidey mid you probably could have thrown a putter. Or your mid softer, or from a standstill, or one step. It all comes down to preference but sometimes the glide makes distance easier on a different/lower line. I like both types

And to add to that, because a comet is so glidey I can throw it nearly as far as a less glidey fairway driver with less risk of skipping away, sliding forward, etc. So it actually sometimes mean less chance of blowing by because I didn't have to disc up

Last edited:
And to add to that, because a comet is so glidey I can throw it nearly as far as a less glidey fairway driver with less risk of skipping away, sliding forward, etc. So it actually sometimes mean less chance of blowing by because I didn't have to disc up

BINGO.

I like what 3 putt said.
And I like glide as well.
I like a good combo

But while we're at it, you could count how often PM throws a teebird while others rip mids. You'd be surprised. ;)

McBeth's disc selection is fascinating to me. I'm not sure why its so different, but my guess is that chooses his disc based on the flight he needs to get more then the amount of distance. I've seen him throw a putter on a 350' shot, a roc on a 250' shot, a roc on a 400' shot, a driver where everyone else is throwing mids, a mid when everybody else is throwing drivers, ect

I love a good balance of the two, I have some supremely glider discs in my bag. The Stag comes to mind. Glides for days and is rarely so floppy that it won't come back. I have a buddy who can out throw his Mamba with my Stag. The Hu and Ape also have some decent glide(you have to be able to crush the Ape to get that 5 glide, but it is there).

Also have use for discs with little to no glide, the Reign actually has less glide than its rating and relies on speed to go, the Trident, Harp and Scale I've been throwing also have no glide and I like them a lot.
Must depends on the line and situation.

If you're blowing by a basket with a glidey mid you probably could have thrown a putter. Or your mid softer, or from a standstill, or one step.
It's not just about going long. When you rely on the glide and the wind changes you easily come up short. The key here is consistency.

During this spring I tested Striker, Saint and Escape side by side on a field. The Striker was pretty much always within 30ft of the place where other Striker shots landed. At the same time the Escape and Saint could be 40ft longer or 40ft shorter depending on the wind, which was not even all that strong.

So imo a glideless disc will reach the same distance with more constistency, while a glidey disc has more distance potential with the same power.

It's not just about going long. When you rely on the glide and the wind changes you easily come up short. The key here is consistency.

During this spring I tested Striker, Saint and Escape side by side on a field. The Striker was pretty much always within 30ft of the place where other Striker shots landed. At the same time the Escape and Saint could be 40ft longer or 40ft shorter depending on the wind, which was not even all that strong.

So imo a glideless disc will reach the same distance with more constistency, while a glidey disc has more distance potential with the same power.

My findings too, Liked the Escape and Saint but dumped them for the same reasons. Never knew if they were going to fly 30ft by, get slapped down 70ft short, or get lifted up and thrown 50ft off line.

Just seems like there's a slew of endless glide mids and fairways out there and companies keep making more. Westside and Lat64 have lots of discs with high glide and Innova keeps pumping out discs like the Wombat, Foxbat and Kite. Duh, I guess because they sell.

Maybe it's just cool to say that I parked that hole with my mid (even if it's only twice in ten tries) instead of having to admit that the better play would have been to use a reliable fairway.

Not saying that there isn't a place in a bag for a disc with lots of glide, but an entire bag full?

I did not like the.. I can't even remember the name of it now. The first faster super glide mid from Lat... Warship. It's a Westside disc, but whatever. It was really squirrely and hard to range, but you could get some very nice open distance with it. That's not at all what I want from a midrange driver.

I don't really have the same issue with Leopards or FDs. If they go to far, it's because they turned too much. They were never hard to range on a hyzer line, but if you're hyzer flipping then there's a fine line between flipping to flat and flipping a little past flat and the glide-ier discs will exacerbate that.

If you're blowing by a basket with a glidey mid you probably could have thrown a putter. Or your mid softer, or from a standstill, or one step. It all comes down to preference but sometimes the glide makes distance easier on a different/lower line. I like both types

Winner winner chicken dinner! :clap: