• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Wind Issues / Disc Suggestions

KyChad

I know that overstable discs perform best into a headwind and understable discs get max D with a tailwind. My question is this: for a RHBH thrower, what types of discs work best with heavy crosswinds (Both L to R and R to L)?

Also, I am looking for a new "headwind" driver. My XCal does it's job, but it's still a bit too much disc for me. On the other hand, if I throw a Valk into a headwind, it will go right, right and more right. Suggestions for a "go to" headwind driver? My no wind distance is around 300.

I played in an event yesterday on a very windy day. I used the same discs I use every day. Just change your angles of release or aim points and you will do fine.

it's pretty simple. Throwing RHBH in a R to L wind at 5-10mph you will probably wanna throw a slightly more stable to overstable disc. Throwing RHBH in a L to R wind at 5-10mph you will wanna throw an slightly understable to stable disc. In a headwind, I'd throw a stable to overstable disc. Assuming your going straight. If not? I'd change every answer I just answered....

it's pretty simple. Throwing RHBH in a R to L wind at 5-10mph you will probably wanna throw a slightly more stable to overstable disc. Throwing RHBH in a L to R wind at 5-10mph you will wanna throw an slightly understable to stable disc. In a headwind, I'd throw a stable to overstable disc. Assuming your going straight. If not? I'd change every answer I just answered....

for 5-10mph winds? I don't change discs until the winds get into the 25-35mph range. Even in that range i'm still throwing the same thing I throw with no winds, Nukes and Surges.

And I think you have that backward. Left to Right winds are better with overstables and Right to Left winds are for understables.

pick out something overstable to combat a headwind, if xcaliber is too much maybe teerex, or firebird/predator if you like something slower. as for crosswinds, also pick something overstable and be really careful how you throw it. with either direction of crosswind i'd recommend throwing at a hyzer angle and just realize the disc is still going to go with the wind a bit. throw too much anhyzer angle with either wind direction and it may never level out.

that's what i'd do, anyway. only worry about this if your winds are climbing above 15 mph.

pick out something overstable to combat a headwind, if xcaliber is too much maybe teerex, or firebird/predator if you like something slower. as for crosswinds, also pick something overstable and be really careful how you throw it. with either direction of crosswind i'd recommend throwing at a hyzer angle and just realize the disc is still going to go with the wind a bit. throw too much anhyzer angle with either wind direction and it may never level out.

Is that you in your avatar pic? Looks like you are "blowing" that disc. Hope its not too wind resistant, you might be there a while.

As for the OP, generally I dont worry about it, but if I need to be sure, when in doubt throw a Pred. Things just dont seem to care what the winds doing.

it is me in the pic. ha, nope, just a thumb-sucking, teddy bear (star destroyer) clutching disc joke.

Predator is a very nice overstable speed 9; XXX is as well but a bit slower and more overstable - more utility than wind fighter imo.

For Xwinds especially you really need to adjust your throw rather than the disc; use the following for a basic understanding:
res_wind06_fig1s.gif

Original Article

X-cal if it's str8 full blown headwind.

Cross winds left right or right to left and not so heavy headwinds i have a set of 3 Destroyers and 3 Wraiths that I mess with. The more overstable of these thrown in headwinds and left to right winds. The less stable I tend to use more for right to left winds.

Tailwinds -- Valkyries or my flippy wraith

Shorter driving distance -- Firebirds are definitely the way to go.

Mids -- Z-Drones. (09 worlds and new SE Z Drone...both are super awsome!!!)

Putters -- Tank/Rhyno

I don't change my disc sellection for crosswinds. My aiming point changes a bit, but not the disc. I also try and keep it nice and low, as well as keeping the disc flat. Any hyzer or anhyzer angle can get you in trouble. As for a good headwind disc, some of my favorites in my bag are: Teerex (really strong headwinds), Wraith, Night Shift Orc (a bit more stable than the standard mold), 150 class Z Flick, Firebird FL, Drone, and Gator. Ones I've been messing around with: Frenzy, Pain, and Hornet. Others I've seen and seem to work well: Tsunami (AKA: Predator), Monster, Firebird and FX, Pulse, Surge...

I have thrown a Vulcan in a cross wind, and havn't had any problems. I say that cross winds aren't a huge problem.

The only problem I have ever seen with a cross wind, is if its coming from your left, and you are a RHBH thrower, if you want you disc to fade, or hyzer, it will have a harder time doing that.

As you can see with this thread, there are a lot of different opinions on what to do with crosswinds. For me, the simplest thing to remember about crosswinds is that if the wind hits the top of the disc, then the disc will drop quicker. If the wind hits the bottom of the disc, then the disc will be carried more by the wind. I try to stay away from multi-directional throws (hyzer-flips/flex shots) with crosswinds.