• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Wind Issues / Disc Suggestions

As you can see with this thread, there are a lot of different opinions on what to do with crosswinds. For me, the simplest thing to remember about crosswinds is that if the wind hits the top of the disc, then the disc will drop quicker. If the wind hits the bottom of the disc, then the disc will be carried more by the wind. I try to stay away from multi-directional throws (hyzer-flips/flex shots) with crosswinds.

Good stuff, keep it simple and think about what the wind is doing to the exposed side of the disc. Keeping it low prevents some of the crazy shots crosswinds can cause too.

I usually only worry about changing discs when there is a head wind and it is 20 mph ish or better. Then I will disc up a bit and if I am on a narrow fairway with daner I will grab a firebird or pred just to be safe.

CHEERS - Koffee

One of the best things I have done is do some field pratice in high winds. It really opens your eyes to what your discs will do and won't do.

The Discraft article posted above is a great read check it out if you havn't already.

I could have missed it but I havn't seen the Banshee named in this thread yet for a good headwind driver. I started out with a champ Banshee as my overstable driver but have since moved to the z Predator.

You relly don't need specific discs. I played all of 09 with Comets as my only mids. I also live in Oklahoma. Just play the wind.

It also depends on what you want to get out of it. On a strong crosswind, from right to left, I throw a overstable disc, mainly a Star Firebird, RHBH on a high flex shot line. It will push the disc down on the first part of the flight but when it turns and heads back to the left, the wind will push it up, giving it great lift and carrying it farther. A shot that must be practiced though.