• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

winners?

I used to win local tournies all the time back when I played 2 rounds every day.
That was like 10 years ago. I wasn't married, didn't have dogs, didn't own a house.
I have zero motivation to do any tournaments these days. And I've never considered driving around and doing tournies far away from me.
It's just not my bag.

Oh snaps, I won a local Warhammer 40K tourny about 9 months ago. Beat out a field of 8 with my twin Monolith Necron army.

biscgolf said:
have any of you sanctimonious bastards who are so willing to tell others what they should do ever won anything????

I have been entertained with this topic and the almost blanket refusal of the respondents to take it seriously.

There is a grain of logic behind it, of course. Why should we consider the advice of folks of unknown identity and unknown skills and unknown experience and unknown knowledge? Even if someone were of a known commodity or reputation, why would we believe that they have an answer which works for any one of us individually? If we had a panel of the greatest players of all time we would expect there to be disagreement among them and they might have limited personal insight into developing skills for players without their genetic gifts.

Of course the question seems to assume that the player who can do a skill best (the winner) is in the best position to teach it. But many good athletes do not make good coaches or teachers.

On this forum and in other venues I have freely given my advice. Yet I have never taken the time to give a disclaimer, so here it is:

The advice I give is based on what has worked for me and what I have seen which works for others. It may not work for you but it may be worth trying out. My advice is not based on knowledge of science. I have never studied physics or flight or physiology but I have studied the game and some of its best players and have benefited from generous teachers. I think the best training is hands on, face to face. Next comes video. Last comes the written word.

My style is joking and good-natured. It is sometimes hard to read that in the written word. So if I appear to insult someone it is not meant to be belittling and should not be read that way. Most of you have seen me in videos which gives you some insight into my style. Every good teacher I have had was hard on me and I don't hesitate to dish it out. I can take it, too, and am fine if others don't agree with me or don't like me or see evil motivations behind my efforts.

I think most players who come on this site and offer advice take a similar philosophy. We should all be open minded enough to try someone else's ideas and skeptical enough to realize that even well intended advice may not be effective. But all who offer advice do so accepting the danger of being called out or attacked and for this they deserve some credit. The internet is not a gentle world which explains why there are a lot more lurkers than publishers.

Oh, I have competed in somewhere around 500 disc golf tournaments and won somewhere around 100 of them. This doesn't make my advice worthy and doesn't make it irrelevant. I may be wrong about my opinions but I have spent a lot of time and effort developing them.

Of course the question seems to assume that the player who can do a skill best (the winner) is in the best position to teach it. But many good athletes do not make good coaches or teachers.

This is pretty true. Lots of the best athletes are naturally gifted and don't understand why lesser skilled players don't understand how to make the adjustments/improvements to be a better athlete. The best people to get advice from are the people who struggled to become good at their sport and because of that took the time to dissect every little part of the game.

Considering the profession of the previous writer i'll latch on to that disclaimer and say x2 :) Edit: Dammit Frank beat me in writing speed. I was referring to Sir Ellis. I just read in a newspaper that that is not the proper etiquette in the UK to address a knighted person with a Sir and just the family name. So my way of writing suits an American just fine :)

Frank Delicious said:

This is pretty true. Lots of the best athletes are naturally gifted and don't understand why lesser skilled players don't understand how to make the adjustments/improvements to be a better athlete. The best people to get advice from are the people who struggled to become good at their sport and because of that took the time to dissect every little part of the game.
This is why although I have never met Blake, I take him seriously.

I am decidedly the best disc golfer in Climax, NC. Booyah. I also won first place in the wiffle ball homerun derby in 8th grade.

I've won only 1 sanctioned open event and it was pretty small. this year in open i've won about.... as much as i've paid in entry fees. last year i lost money, but i had just moved up from advanced. could be worse. and most of my disc golf knowledge comes from this forum, so i think that speaks volumes. I improve every year too, so maybe next year i'll actually make a profit! yay!

I've had probably 10-15 top 3 finishes in advanced. Of those, I think there were 4 or 5 wins. Had a couple of top 3's in Open too. Won some local leagues and what not as well.

I won first place in Rec(am3) :/ at my first PDGA. (Super bagger, didn't know I was more of an Int/Adv division skill level.)
Got 5th in Intermediate(am2) after completely blowing 2 rounds to hell at my second, so I moved to Advanced. I really felt like I should have came in dead last at that tournament, but somehow got 5th out of like 20 people.
Took my first win in Advanced(am1) last weekend. Feels good man. Could possibly move to Open next summer.

I was runner up in the AM division at the Louisiana State Championship. I did finally get my first win like 3 weeks later.

I've won some Adv. tournaments, and did good in Bowling Green Ams and Worlds this year (4th and 3rd). I'm 972 rated.

But to be honest, I can't teach throwing a disc worth shit. Don't listen to me.

Five sanction wins, three this year, and I'm also a two time pine wood derby champion.

As for helping lesser skilled players, I try not to help with form as I'm still trying to tweak mine, but get newbies to understand the need for slow, lightweight discs. Too many noobs and recs, as we all know, start off with Nukes, Bosses, and Destroyers and wonder why they struggle to hit 200 feet. I like to take them aside and tell them why the disc is inappropriate for them, and which ones are more suitable.

I almost forgot to mention this but I won this years Warhammer 40k tournament.

HnHXJ.jpg

U jelly?

after seeing that pic of dig it, i respect him a little bit more. thanks for the secret santa...
i have had 2, 1000+ rated rounds. also, i jerk off stalefish.