• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Winter is almost over

Shift your weight from behind you, instead of from the front and going over the top. Your front knee is past your ankle, so it's not braced inside your posture.

I found the "Best downswing weightshift" video sw22 posted the most useful for understanding the concept.

So went out today and tried to keep in mind the "behind you" weight shifting and tried to stiffen the front leg to brace properly against it. It looks ugly, but I think there is something happening in the hips / bracing that I have not seen / felt before in the throws. Instead of just passing the front leg and rotating without real resistance on it, it now makes the hip rise a little when it can't move forward. I know that while this was happening, the discs were sky rocketing, but Im just trying to catch the drift of bracing / weight shift and once those are down, I'll worry about the upper body :)

Am I going about this in a totally wrong way or is this something to work on?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=no15-KeP1DQ

You need to turn your front leg/foot more backwards when you plant to shift/brace from behind. Your front foot is turning toward the target forward moving the opposite way. Watch how Will plants on the toe, then heel/weight plants forward of the toes, so his foot is turned away past perpendicular to the target.

Since last time I posted I've gone and just simply played rounds and haven't practiced form that much, but now tried again to see if I could make my form better. Last time I posted the front foot was my main problem. Mainly not being braced and not getting my hips and legs into the action. I filmed now few shots from standstill when I tried to get the bracing in place. I know it still looks like lot is missing, but just wanted to see if I could get feedback that the direction is the right one and if Im missing something in the equation.

Last edited:
Your whole rear side is spinning out. Your rear foot is squishing the bug instead of everting forward/making a forward move. Try taking a small step/stride forward with the front foot, or take a step backward with the rear foot into the backswing. Rear arm/elbow must move in forward, you aren't getting your whole rear side forward enough, try keeping your arm in/hand on thigh like Mark Jarvis.

Thanks for the feedback!

I tried today to involve my back foot on pushing me forward by starting on one leg and trying to stride. I know that my front foot is still not catching my weight properly, but any insights the legs?

ps. Also my arm goes where ever due to not paying any real attention to it :)

You are trying to push your hips forward too late from your rear foot after you plant. You also open your front open/leg when you plant instead of keeping it closed and planting onto your toes.

See how Will's shoulders are turned further back still/closed and his rear knee is under his hip already, so he has made a much more forward move off the rear foot and still turned back further and rotating very centered. You are pushing your rear side upward and over more than forward. You can't really see your balance from this camera angle but you are swinging the disc(towel) way outside your head coming through behind your front toes, while Will's head is over his disc swinging through over the toes. Also note Will's head up looking at the disc, not looking down at the ground like you are, so his shoulder has room to rotate through under the head. Door Frame Drill should help, Will is pulling the door frame with his weight/body/shoulder into the plant, while your are pulling it with your arm/elbow.

Yeah - exactly as SW points out... and the one thing that has helped me in thinking about it is to imagine you have a buddy sitting on the ground behind you and you reach back and want to pull him up. Pulling with your shoulders more squared up to your sitting buddy will give you better leverage. If you pull across your body, you'll likely raise the leading shoulder and not use your lower body.