• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Winter workouts

So what is everyone doing to work out and stay in shape over the winter? I've started doing the P90X workout and it is kicking my butt. I am noticing more upper body strength after 3 weeks of doing it and have much more power in my legs for jump putts.

So how you fighting off the winter crazies?

Been doing home workouts and running on the treadmill...and playing once a week. It was 65 yesterday and 60 today and we've had virtually no snow this year.

I've never played through the winter, but I am this year and my discs are getting pretty beat up, even my CE and really hard Champion discs. Is winter more rough on your discs? I'm not sure if it's the coldness of my discs or the hard ground or what, but I'm thinking of taking a few of my favorite discs out of the bag for a couple months.

Luckily in Colorado you get to golf all year round. This Winter I have been playing 8am rounds on the weekends and loving it.

As far as workouts go I have been doing a variation of Starting Strength. I got a squat/bench with a nice oly barbell and I have been doing mainly compound lifts in hopes to build some beef on this frame.

well me and the wife are hitting the gym just to be healthy. we're doing a traditional workout with squats, deadlifts, bench press, rows etc plus some cardio. nothing fancy.

@emiller: man can we trade; down here in the Carolinas it's ass cold. yes the cold does have an effect on your discs I've cracked/shattered 2 discs on the same hole in sub freezing temperatures before. both discs were pro type plastic btw.

winter hasnt hit here yet, probably wont until mid January only to warm up at the end of Feb. Anyways I usually do a lot of body weight training type activities in the winter. I use one of those iron man pullup bars. Can also be used for different type of pushups and such. it is a pretty handy to thing to have when you are going crazy

Dig It said:
Luckily in Colorado you get to golf all year round.
This year especially. It was almost 60 degrees again today. Last year I hadn't seen my lawn for a month on christmas.

what the hell is going on??? it's 28°F during the day here in South Carolina and it's 60°F in Colorado. man this global warming can kiss my ass!

Everything is more brittle in the cold discs, muscles and tendons. I've split a Champ Valk in two in -8F IIRC. ATM my work is enough exercise because it's high season. When i'm not so busy at work i play DG (thermos helps) and lift weights and do some balance exercises because that is a problem for me. Those increase core muscle strength too so it builds up the infrastructure to help me maintaining proper body positions. So that i can throw at full power without the fear of something giving and missing hyzer angles. Consistency increases. Depending on how busy i am and how my injuries fare i might hop onto an exercise bike or a rowing machine.

Frank Delicious said:
So what is everyone doing to work out and stay in shape over the winter? I've started doing the P90X workout and it is kicking my butt. I am noticing more upper body strength after 3 weeks of doing it and have much more power in my legs for jump putts.

So how you fighting off the winter crazies?

Crazy is right. If I go more than a couple days without exercise I feel slow and fat and slovenly. Ok, even more slow and fat and slovenly than normal.

I had several friends do P90X last year and they thought it was a huge effort and commitment but well worth it. So good luck with it.

In an hour I leave for my workout. I am now in my 5th year of cross training, my 4th with a personal trainer. The process is simple. I arrive. He pulls out the whip. I try to do whatever he tells me to.

So a couple months ago I mentioned to my trainer that the heart of the tournament season had ended ( we know that tournaments never end but most of the major ones happen in summer and fall) and asked what kind of workouts should happen in the off season. He said that the off season was the time to ramp up your workouts, so you can build up strength and endurance, while in season you try to maintain. Since then we have been ramping up, including the always delightful:INTERVAL TRAINING. These are done on a clock, usually 40 seconds on with 20 seconds rest. So my trainer makes up a series of exercises (5 to 10) which I do in sequence, sometimes using toys ( weights, kettle bells, swiss balls, bosu balls, step platforms, squishy pads, hurdles, cones, etc). Every exercise and every workout session is some combination of strength, endurance, flexibility and balance.

I used to hate push ups the most. Now I hate plyometrics (jumping) the most.

The intensity of a particular workout is a function of how far away and how important my next tournament is. Depending on the workout, I might be ( ok, I will be) sore and stiff for a day or a few after the workout so it compromises my ability to play well in a tournament. Monday workouts tend to be the hardest ( most strength and endurance intensive) while a Friday workout tends to be more flexibility and balance based. I try to schedule workouts for Monday and Wednesdays but life interferes from time to time.

So far my major shortcoming fall in the categories of strength, endurance, flexibility and balance. Oh, we don't practice much on coordination, grace and rhythm but I suck at those, too. If I could just get some gene replacement therapy I might become an athlete one of these days. Probably the fountain of youth would help as well.

Plyometrics is the work out I dread the most in P90X, I just did it on Tuesday and man it is no fun at all. Yoga and Kempo are actually really fun and Yoga really helps me with my back pain.

Frank Delicious said:
Plyometrics is the work out I dread the most in P90X
You ain't kiddin. I couldn't finish it at 100% effort, I was really struggling at the end.

Are you just doing the p90x workouts or the whole plan (diet,supplements,etc)?

I'm doing the workout, taking a multi-vitamin that isn't the P90X one b/c that one is crazy expensive and the wife and I have been eating healthy for a while. So to answer your question I am doing the workouts and taking the ideas promoted from the rest of the plan.

I don't think I finished a workout 100% for the first week and a half.

What are you guys using as a pull up bar for P90? I am in between mounting one in the ceiling of the laundry room(can barely see tv), and getting one of those iron gym doorway jobs.

J-Bolt said:
What are you guys using as a pull up bar for P90? I am in between mounting one in the ceiling of the laundry room(can barely see tv), and getting one of those iron gym doorway jobs.
I have an Iron Gym and it works great. Just make sure to measure your door to see if you'll need the extended bar. When I got mine you had to mail order it and it took something crazy like 2-3 months to come.

My knee has been wonky (I'm seeing the doctor in a couple weeks) so my workout has been different than normal. I've cut way down on the leg exercises and cardio until I get professional advice as to what to do.

I've been doing chest, triceps and shoulders on Monday and Thursday and back, biceps and core on Tuesday and Friday. Wednesday I play video games during workout time (Shin Megami Sensei: Nocturne if it matters). Each workout is about 40 minutes and I use a set of Power Blocks, a yoga ball and sometimes a bench and I do it all at home. It's working better than I thought it would. I haven't been gaining weight (I've cut some calories, too) and I've been progressing faster than normal with the exercises I have been doing. I wasn't sure if it was going to be too much or not but so far it's worked well.

FWIW, I don't do anything different when I'm disc golfing or not. I'm not anywhere near competitive enough for it to matter whether or not I'm bulking, cutting or maintaining during disc golf season. I'm almost always looking for a slow gain in strength while maintaining or possibly losing fat slowly.

I don't have any doors that can accommodate the pullup bar, so as garu said, make sure you can fit it before you buy it (or check return policy). I am forced to do my pull-ups at the gym and generally do my ab stuff at home.

I've been using the alternate band exercises for my pull ups, when you get the form and resistance right they are just as good as pull ups.

Elyptical machine / pushups with the pushup pro / crunches and band exercises. Every other day.

Does anybody else use resistance bands with a real arm swing like you were throwing? I also use it to strengthen my wrist and forearms by tensing the band hard then uncocking my wrist and getting it back to neutral then breaking the wrist right. Sometimes also with a little follow through. This is a hard and dangerous exercise with stiffer bands because the tendons are stretched hard. It shouldn't be done without proper warming up. I also use a power ball and grippers.

Latest posts