• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

winter

frennis524

Par Member
what is the typical distance loss during the winter? How much shorter would a throw be in the winter. Holes that I was easily using a mid for are no longer reachable unless with a fairway driver. I just want to make sure I am not doing something totally off. I am currently at the 370 plateau

If you go from 68 F to 32 F, the air is about 7% more dense, assuming the same barometric pressure.

With golf balls, they claim they travel about 10% farther at 5000 ft or so when the air is about 16% less dense.

If you assumed similar effects (big if), that would knock 5% or so off a drive (about 15 feet off a 300 foot drive).

Plus you may not be as flexible either due to not being warmed up, having bulkier clothing on, heavier footwear, and you might not have as good of a grip on the disc.

Your form may also be off more since you can't play after work when the sun goes down around the time you leave...:-(

At least those are my excuses...

yeah I seem to lose alot more than 10% distance in the cold. I blame it on bulky clothing, lack of grip, less practice, snow impeding footwork, the streamers or lights used to find the disc, the density of the air...... I could think of more if you want :lol:

I always thought that discs didn't go as far in cold weather, but this year I've been playing all through the winter (admittedly, it's not in single digits, 20's and up), but I haven't seen any more distance lost than my own inconsistency can match. I think the bigger factor is the layers of clothes and perhaps the poor footing that we have to deal with that really impacts the distance.

For me, I've found that by keeping hand warmers close by and keeping my hands warm, that I'm able to grip the disc just like in the summer and get really similar results.

reallybadputter said:
If you go from 68 F to 32 F, the air is about 7% more dense, assuming the same barometric pressure.

With golf balls, they claim they travel about 10% farther at 5000 ft or so when the air is about 16% less dense.

If you assumed similar effects (big if), that would knock 5% or so off a drive (about 15 feet off a 300 foot drive).

Plus you may not be as flexible either due to not being warmed up, having bulkier clothing on, heavier footwear, and you might not have as good of a grip on the disc.

Your form may also be off more since you can't play after work when the sun goes down around the time you leave...:-(

At least those are my excuses...

I study Literature and Theology, but this makes sense to me?

Footing is often bad as well (icey, snowey). I know i can't get as much on a throw with bad footing.

The leaves are down and the wind is worse. Whatever effect the air might have on my distance is negligible compared to the effect of the wind pushing everything around.

If I have footing I don't see much decrease, if any, in distance. For instance, when I finally starting wearing sorel boots to play winter DG in MN, I starting throwing normal D with a run-up and plant on snow pack. Farther than in the rain in summer.

Seriously, I go back and forth between MN and NorCal all year for work and I see little difference in disc flight or D. Now, if I play up on the Colorado plateau it is a different matter. Discs fly way more stable up there.

I guess when it goes below zero, or windy single digits, I see a decrease, but at that point the connection between disc and skin becomes tenuous, the muscles get very tense. Things can get shorter and more errant but I think for reasons other than air density. It sounds miserable, but here in the Twin Cities there are very well attended leagues no matter the weather. People even play leagues in the dark at zero degrees in the snow with bobber lights on thier discs.

To all cold climate DGers, I recommend those air-activated hand warmers inside mittens. At least for the throwing hand. Those things rock. A flask of scotch helps too. And put hot water in your water bottle before heading out.

frennis524 said:
what is the typical distance loss during the winter? How much shorter would a throw be in the winter. Holes that I was easily using a mid for are no longer reachable unless with a fairway driver. I just want to make sure I am not doing something totally off. I am currently at the 370 plateau
A 370' winter plateau...you beast

Latest posts