• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Wisconsinites: What is Open Around Thanksgiving?

klay

Eagle Member
I'm on my way back to the motherland in exactly one week and I want to get some rounds in with family and friends while I'm in southern Wisconsin.

I know that Dretzka and Hiestand stay open through the winter but I'm curious to know what my other options are.

I'll be in Madison and West Bend for the duration but I wouldn't mind traveling an hour or two for some decent cold weather (and possibly snow covered) disc golf.

So please give me suggestions as to where I can go and not find the baskets removed. Here are a few I'm interested in. Let me know if they'll be open or if there's anything else I'm missing:

Baraboo Lions DGC
Crystal Lake Park
Heritage Trails
Tendick Nature Park
Rock River DGC
UW-Whitewater

I believe Grafton stays in as well. It's one of the better nines I've played and is near Tendick.

Also, Waterloo is another of the better nines I've ever played and Watertown is a good 18, especially the back nine. Both of these could conceivably be hit on the way from Milw. to Madtown.

Sheboygan's about an hour north of Tendick; Vollrath comes out, but Quarry stays in. LTC Cleveland is year-round, as is Silver Creek up in Manitowoc (you said an hour or two, so I'm trying to think of all your options in the outer distances of that time frame)...no idea about the newish Lower Cato Falls course, but that may be pushing your radius anyway.

Sheboygan's about an hour north of Tendick; Vollrath comes out, but Quarry stays in. LTC Cleveland is year-round, as is Silver Creek up in Manitowoc (you said an hour or two, so I'm trying to think of all your options in the outer distances of that time frame)...no idea about the newish Lower Cato Falls course, but that may be pushing your radius anyway.

Thanks. I think I'm going to save the lakeshore couses north of Milwaukee for a summer road trip in the next couple of years. I'll be sure to hit up Cleveland when that day arrives. I know that one is your pride and joy.

WINTER PARK! We typically make it an annual round some time the weekend after Thanksgiving, and this year since I won't be deer hunting the weekend prior to Thanksgiving, we'll probably play then too. Be happy to show you around and share some WI seasonal brews!

WINTER PARK! 1.5hrs north of Tendick. 3hrs from Elver.

I know that Dretzka and Hiestand stay open through the winter but I'm curious to know what my other options are.

dretzka will be pulled after this weekend. dretzka winter will not be in place until the ball golf course is finished for the year. supposedly dreztka winter top 9 are going into place same time i assume as dretzka summer gets pulled.
dretzka winter is a fun course, it gets a lower rating than it should. its not your typical milwaukee design. the top 9 are pretty simple and is where you should be able to get a 2 on 6-7 of the 9. the bottom 15 are signifcantly longer and more challenging. especially #16. that is probably the hardest hole on the course. gentle anhyzer slightly downhill through a tunnel(s) (2 possible lines really a tunnel for FH and one for BH) with a very low ceiling. a solid par 4 for most people include the local pros. i believe its ~420'

You should check out the course at Fox River Park in Silver Lake, WI. FYI, I believe there is a tourney the 24th.

WINTER PARK! We typically make it an annual round some time the weekend after Thanksgiving, and this year since I won't be deer hunting the weekend prior to Thanksgiving, we'll probably play then too. Be happy to show you around and share some WI seasonal brews!

WINTER PARK! 1.5hrs north of Tendick. 3hrs from Elver.

God damn that is tempting...Your course in on my Dream List (one step above wish list)

I'll have a couple of days all to myself. I may just have to ramble on up. Any others on the way or in the area that I could really flesh out that road trip with?

Ugh, your courses aren't opening again until mid-May? Do they hate the spring in Wisconsin?

they close certain courses to control the damage they take. if dretzka was open during spring it would quickly become a mud pit. plus there is dretzka winter which is a different course all together in the same park, the top 9 of it is pretty much the am worlds layout.

I'll show you around a course or two in Appleton if you want Klay. It's between Milw. and Winter. O'Hauser is your best bet and just off of 441.

Sick sick sick woods at Freitag in Forest junction between Madison and Winter Park. There are 18 baskets now. Me or the locals will know where the back nine tees are.

The pins are in the Wintery Mix right now up here, this is the "less than ideal design" to take a few baskets off the ski hill and make a few holes easier in slippery frozen grounds of winter, but there is still plenty of challenge and thought in the layout.

You could couple it with Gold tees and get a workout (for your arm). E.g. #2 from the Blues is a 250', 30' uphill shot. The winter pin adds 70', and the Gold Tee adds another 150'. 250 to 470 is drastic on this hole.

Freitag Park, in Forest Junction is one of those courses that when people bring up something along the lines of, "have you ever played anything like this...." you'll be able to say, "yeah man, you should see these double ess 400 ft. holes with tiny fairways, etc." :) Give me a bit of notice if you're wanting to play that one though, because although I've worked on most holes out there, the back nine is unmarked and I need to have the designer give me a quick tour before you come. I haven't been out there all year; because that course is wet and it was a wet year. Should be o.k. now though; and no mosquitoes, which is another bad thing there. :)

good choice tendick is a very fun course

Yeah, played it a couple times before but only from the shorts. Plan on playing both to see how far I've come since last time and then to test myself form the longs.

Superberry, is there a particular day that would work well for you? I'm thinking if I get up there it will be either be Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday (Nov 22nd, 23rd or 24th).

Superberry, is there a particular day that would work well for you? I'm thinking if I get up there it will be either be Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday (Nov 22nd, 23rd or 24th).

Depending on what time of day you're thinking of being around, I may or may not work in the morning. I have 3 days of vacation left this year and was thinking of using them all that week to get the most bang for my buck with 9 days off in a row. I have a funeral to attend Nov 20 and it will likelt last as a family ordeal thru Sunday. But Monday is back to work. My wife is off Wednesday, so I'd say not then so that her and I can have the day together.

Latest posts