• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Gateway] Wizard Purchase

The new MOONRAKER !

I'm constantly going thru other people's bags (after asking , of course ) to see what they have . After 2 years of playing , I have so many discs and I still need to see what a 10 year vet has,a 20 year vet has....

Then when i read these forums , I hear about another dozen discs I need to have becuz the new MOONRAKER disc is the best ever ! It slices, it dices , Money back if it doesn't ace at least once a round! Fortunately , our two stores only sell Innova and Discraft .

And I can't imagine buying a disc without touching it,so there's a lot of different manufacturers I haven't even seen in person, let alone touch.

So if you have no stores nearby , start checking out other people's quiver to see if anything might be interesting.

And if anyone in Washington and Oregon has any great stores that I shouldn't miss , let me know ! I'm on the road starting next weekend, hoping to end up in Portland and play a few gems ! And haul back more plastic to show off !

I ordered Gateway's 5/$40 deal to stock up on Wizards - My Paypal payment came with a description of the plastic I was looking for, and they called the same day with a couple questions to clarify. They're super easy to work with, just send them an email or give 'em a call! http://gdstour.com/

I ordered Gateway's 5/$40 deal to stock up on Wizards - My Paypal payment came with a description of the plastic I was looking for, and they called the same day with a couple questions to clarify. They're super easy to work with, just send them an email or give 'em a call! http://gdstour.com/

It seems like alot of people have had similar luck with gateways customer service. I may just have to give them a ring.

Since were on the topic of gateway...any mids I should be looking at as well?

Id be really interested in that! Wheres that at?

Im still pretty noob so I really have only used a magnet dx to put with. The disc has always felt good so thats why im giving the soft version a try too, to see which i like more

Hit up "matthew boals" here on the boards. He's usually at Dillon Park in Noblesville on Saturdays and Sundays, and a couple other courses on Tuesdays and wednesdays.

I left Wizards because they are so hard to find.. A decent one is. I'm all about the Anodes. My advice to you is find a consistent putter.

I second this. Call them up and they're more than happy to work with you. Just explain to them what you're looking for, or the characteristics that you like best about your current putter, and they'll tell you what they have in stock at the time that's the closest match. The best part is that you're likely to get discs from the same run and therefore you'll get the consistency that everyone talks about being so hard to find in the shops or online.

The center of an anode is like champ or z plastic. The dense outmold is hard, rubbery, and durable. Gateway's plastic is more like Dx with varying amounts of additives to increase grip and flex. MVP's stuff is extremely consistent, but grip in wet and cold will suffer, at least on the flight plate (but near indestructible, and really long-lived). Gateway's plastic will be grippier, cheaper (almost half the cost), but harder to find an identical replacement when retirement comes.
I'd find it hard to recommend buying a bulk stack of wizards before handling any. I'd suggest buying (or at least fondling) two or three quite different wizards, and throwing all of them. When you decide what you like best, then buy a stack of 5 or 10 from Gateway direct, so they're all consistent.

Last edited:
mvp discs look pretty awesome with that blend of two kinds of plastic. I just dont know enough about either company and I dont know anyone who throws em. I guess its only 15 bucks right?

How is the plastic of the anode different from the wizards?

They are a great putter. It's a lot like Champion and such.. They have a new plastic just being released that will offer grip.. That might be the best bet.. They are only releasing it for the Ion as of now.. So if it's only $15 I'd say get an Anode now.. If the grip is the only thing you don't like check out Neutron plastic, when it comes out.

I just buy mediums or softs online and haven't had any actual problems. The "worst" one I got is also the Wizard I've thrown the farthest and beat in really well. As long as you aren't picky the changes in feel aren't really an issue.

I have a "Soft" Wizard that I use for approaches/short drives. The combination of grip and stiffness seems to be just right for that duty, but not the best for sticking in the chains. I have gone back to a regular Aviar P&A for approaches lately. I'm just so used to throwing them. Might go back to the Wizard in the Winter when it's always windy.

I just buy mediums or softs online and haven't had any actual problems. The "worst" one I got is also the Wizard I've thrown the farthest and beat in really well. As long as you aren't picky the changes in feel aren't really an issue.

This is pretty much what I was going to say. You get some variation in feel, but a wizard flies like a wizard.

Nice Avatar sir!! What putters have you been playing with?

Thanks! I couldnt find and avatar with the pens, steelers and bucs all in one so this will do.

Ive been using the magnet dx. I have a soft magnet coming in the mail. I currently use my magnet for putt/approach/short drives. So I was looking at the wizard as a disc that could possibly take on some of the duties. Plus its fun trying new discs of course

Well if you putt well with the Magnet already I wouldn't switch your primary putter. Driving putter is different all together.

Gateway plastics are generally more consistent when you look at the color over rating. I have a ton of Wizards, and I think black from Soft-SSS provide a great cool-cold weather grip. You just have to remember to keep your eyes on them. In the heat, red Softs (very firm when new) are nice. That's what I used until I went to white Mediums year round. You will not get the same kind of softness from Gateway's plastics as your Soft Magnet. If you want something that soft, look at the 5S and RFF varieties. Even then the rim might still be rigid.

Latest posts