• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Worlds photographers needed. . .

Spinthrift

Eagle Member
This is being reposted here from the PDGA board:

Charlotte Worlds Photographers

Hello all,

The combined World Championships at Charlotte will be the biggest photography project in PDGA history. There are 24 different divisions and we need on course action pictures of all the champions plus other activities.

We need a few experienced photographers to be on staff and able to go cover specific division lead groups on specific courses. They would need independent transportation so they could be assigned something like Thursday be at Reedy Creek at 9 AM for the Junior Boys < 19 and the Junior Girls < 13 and the Men Pro Legends. Then at 2 PM be at Kilbourne and cover the Advanced women and the Pro Women Grandmasters.

There is a small budget for this and payment will be determined by quality/quantity of published photographs. We could provide gas money for the daily travels and maybe lunch. I'll even make the peanut butter & jelly sandwiches myself!! (Probably not).

Each photographer would need to label their pictures since no one can possibly know all the faces then upload them to me every night so we could plan on filling in gaps and make plans for the next day.

This is still very much in the early planning stages but we do have compensation available and will find an equatable way of using it for quality work.

If you are interested please contact me at [email protected].

Sincerely
John Whinery
DiscGolfer Photo Editor

We would expect that an experienced photographer would have their own equipment and a developed skill in sports photography. We don't have a basket of digital SLR's with extra lenses lying around. To do this right it is far more involved than taking a few vacation snapshots.

We would expect that an experienced photographer would have their own equipment and a developed skill in sports photography. We don't have a basket of digital SLR's with extra lenses lying around. To do this right it is far more involved than taking a few vacation snapshots.

Well... I guess freelance photographers and most professionals would have there own equipment. Just to make a point... There are "experienced" action Sports photographers that work professionally for businesses that provide equipment! My son being one!

I was attempting to make sure that it was clear to everyone that read your post knew they had to provide their own equipment. Not to be subjected to a condescending and offensive remark.

I wish you success in your quest... Maybe since my son and I will be playing in the tournament we will be the subject of a couple good pics.

Well... I guess freelance photographers and most professionals would have there own equipment. Just to make a point... There are "experienced" action Sports photographers that work professionally for businesses that provide equipment! My son being one!

I was attempting to make sure that it was clear to everyone that read your post knew they had to provide their own equipment. Not to be subjected to a condescending and offensive remark.

I wish you success in your quest... Maybe since my son and I will be playing in the tournament we will be the subject of a couple good pics.

:thmbup:

E-mailed good sir.

And sorry but what Photographer doesn't have their own equipment? I realize there might be a $$ issue but still you can get a decent DSLR nowadays at very reasonable prices.

Last edited:

At least we know the photo editor of the magazine we get isn't a complete d.I.c.k.bag

I'd be interested in taking photos and im planning on heading that way to watch for several of the days. I also knowthat i will want to have time to watch the women's pro and the MPO.

Cyoda44 I'm sorry.

I thought your question "I would assume each person would bring their own camera...?" was just tongue in cheek kidding being a bit of a smart alec and I responded with that in mind. I thought you'd kid me right back.

I am very sorry I came across inappropriately. I will assume every question posed here will be sincere and will respond with the respect a sincere question deserves.

If I knew you or realized that the motive of your question was to help make folks understand that yes they did need a good camera or was sincere I would have responded this way:

Yes, you would need to bring a good SLR with at least a 200mm lens for getting into position in front of the player and not interfering with his/her game. We have a PDF we like to send to all interested photographers that would help get those magazine quality images we need. Plus we can give you even more hints from things we've learned after seeing tens of thousands of disc golf pictures if that would help. If anyone would like that PDF please email me and I'll be glad to send it to you. We also have a picture labeling convention that helps us keep event, subject and photographer accurately together. This will be very important since we don't know most of the top amateurs from around the country and beyond and really need the photographer to identify the player for us. With hundreds of pictures of 'new' faces we really need that from you guys.

We get lots of folks who submit hundreds/thousands of web album pictures of unidentifiable people taken from behind with a cell phone or too far away for the player to even be identified. Those 'vacation snapshot' images rarely work for the action photography we like to use. It really does take some planning to work with the players that allows the photographer to get into the right position to show the face and personality of the competitor while watching lighting and backgrounds and not interfering with their play. While a cell phone or lower end camera might even have enough density the lens rarely allows for that nice crisp close face shot.

I hope everyone here will accept my sincere apology and understand I thought I was responding in the spirit of the post.

Sincerely
John

I'd be interested in taking photos and im planning on heading that way to watch for several of the days. I also knowthat i will want to have time to watch the women's pro and the MPO.

We would appreciate any help you could give. Please email me and I'll send you some info and if you could help even a morning or two or be able to be at a particular course for an afternoon it would be great.

Thanks
jw

Cyoda44, if I knew your name or phone number I would call and personally apologize. Maybe my long post above will be a step in the right direction with you. Hopefully we can meet and I can do it in person and maybe shake your hand.

Sincerely
John

Let me say from a player's perspective that the effort made at the 2011 Rochester Worlds by DiscGolfer and the PDGA to shoot and post a very broad range of photos was terrific:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/pdga/collections/72157627231438690/

As far as I could tell, every player was in multiple photos, most of which were action shots. My favorite picture of Worlds came from the albums, and is my current wallpaper. Thanks for giving the event the treatment you did, and I can't wait to see how well y'all document the 2012 Worlds.

It's going to be a HUGE project. Just having a single great picture of the champion in all 24 or so divisions is going to fill a lot of pages, and we really believe that EVERY division champion at the worlds has earned a good picture in DiscGolfer.

Thanks for the nice response to last years work. We do really try to provide our members the best we can, and it is the photographers who make it all possible. I'm so glad that we can begin to get a few bucks into the pockets of these contributors. I've been hounding the powers that be for 3 years!!!

I've got to get to my real job but will try to check this forum every morning.

I was planning on attending because I have a few club players from the Fredericksburg area that will be playing at the World's. I even contacted Debbie Scott on Photographers restrictions during the World's. She gave me Sam Nicholson's e-mail but I never got a response from him.

Click on the links of my Sig and take a look at some of the stuff I have done. Then send me some info on what the details will be.

Cyoda44, if I knew your name or phone number I would call and personally apologize. Maybe my long post above will be a step in the right direction with you. Hopefully we can meet and I can do it in person and maybe shake your hand.

Sincerely
John

No additional apology necessary. After rereading my original post.. I can see your point. I was not very articulate in my first response....

I totally agree that everyone that loves photography will have a "nice" camera. They just might not have the $$ for some of the expensive telephoto lenses. (They spend it on plastic like me!)

I would love to come by and meet, help out or just send some encouragement to all the volunteers! (I'll send you a PM)

Ok... now lets get on with the request for Volunteers!!

John needs your help!! Please Help to show our sport to the World....!

Thanks Cyoda44.

With a bit of help we will certainly be able to give our members a good article from Charlotte.

And except for being a Red Wings fan, (go Nashville Predators!!!) you're not too bad!!! :thmbup:

I enjoyed our phone call this afternoon and look forward to meeting you and your son.

Did I say BOOOO Red Wings???

Thanks to everyone who has emailed me. I'll be back on magazine duty in the morning and respond to everyone.

John,
It was very kind of you to post an apology, but not necessary! I am humbled by the attitude and
professionalism you have displayed to of forum. I will help in any way possible while in Charlotte... Or anytime!

Also, It was nice to speak to you in person. I hope that I was able to convey to you my complete support in the job your doing. I know we will be able to meet while in Charlotte... I look forward to spending some time together... Talking Hockey! LOL "Red Wings RULE"

Ok... Hey all disc golfers!!

The Charlotte Worlds needs your help taking some some fantastic photos!

How about a best photo of the day contest? I would help by putting up a couple disks or ???

Last edited: