• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Wraith Help!

UFO

When I first started playing I found a well broke in and weathered champion wraith. I hated it and could never throw it right but in the last few months I have fallen in love, it is my go to disk for 75 percent of my drives, backhand or sidearm. Question is, what would be the closest back up or replacement for a beat up old wraith, it seems flatter than the new stuff in stores?

Thanks for any ideas, I wanna start throwing some stuff like it so I dont get that "magic" disc syndrome, but I know a brand new domey wraith wont be the same.

UFO said:
When I first started playing I found a well broke in and weathered champion wraith. I hated it and could never throw it right but in the last few months I have fallen in love, it is my go to disk for 75 percent of my drives, backhand or sidearm. Question is, what would be the closest back up or replacement for a beat up old wraith, it seems flatter than the new stuff in stores?

Thanks for any ideas, I wanna start throwing some stuff like it so I dont get that "magic" disc syndrome, but I know a brand new domey wraith wont be the same.
1. Beat in a new Wraith. 2. I suppose the Archon is closest out of the box...

I bought an esp Surge really cheap awhile back, the numbers match the wraith but is it the same animal from a different brand, anybody know thats thrown both for awhile? Was kinda saving it till I got a lil better and needed to keep a fresh disc in the bag in the same number range...I will commence beating it if they are really similar though.

they are very similar. wat plastic is the surge? esp break in alot faser then z in that mold IMO. also you could get a pdd it will break in fast to match the wraith.

I use the wraith just like you, main driver FH or BH. Get another wraith in pro plastic. It will start out more stable but will break in pretty quickly to be similar to your champ. Then get yourself another champ and start working it.

Other ideas mentioned: Archon - I have a star but think it seems pretty beefy to me, like my champs better but they seem to work different lines than the wraith.
I have thrown a Z Surge SS that seems to me like a broke in wraith flight wise. But it has never made the bag.
The one disc that strangely enough has made my bag and takes over many wraith shots right now is a 165 star Avery Jenkins Vulcan top Destroyer. Way less beefy than normal D's and (to me any way) acts more like a wraith.

I have a very limited sample size, but the surge has always seemed less stable for me. You may want to give that thing a try and see how it flies for you. I also second the beat in al wraith idea. Get a new star wraith and start using it for stable distance duties, and hopefully by the time you lose the other one it will be able to replace it.

curt said:
I have a very limited sample size, but the surge has always seemed less stable for me. You may want to give that thing a try and see how it flies for you. I also second the beat in al wraith idea. Get a new star wraith and start using it for stable distance duties, and hopefully by the time you lose the other one it will be able to replace it.

My experience is like yours. ESP Surge (mine, anyway) flies like a worn Wraith. A very cool disc.

Sweetness! Just got a barely used star wraith at play it again for 5 bucks, cool colors too!

Yeah, try the Z Surge SS. Its a good disc, and flies a lot like a beat Wraith.