• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

WV & VA? Nov 10 - 12

BogeyNoMore

* Ace No More *
Diamond level trusted reviewer
Premium Member
I have a few days off (Sat, Nov 10 - Mon Nov 12) and was hoping to hit a few private courses I've always wanted to play:

Sat: Woodshed & Whipping Post
Sun: Blockhouse (still on the fence about this making sense logistically, as it's about 3 hrs from Paw Paw).

Probably a lot of driving, but I figure I'll drive to Paw Paw Fri night and hit both courses Sat. Gets dark pretty early this time of year which limits how many courses I can squeeze in... but increases the amount of time I'm willing to drive (wouldn't be playing new courses after the sun goes down).

Would really appreciate someone PM'ing me contact info for Gabby/Spencer at Woodshed/Whipping post....couldn't find squat on either of those course pages. Want to make sure courses are available and they're OK with me out there that day.

Also, I realize some of the roads out that way are treacherous at night for first timers (the Magnolia & Gaither roads up to Whipping Post Lane is a pretty good example). Would appreciate if anyone could tell me if the roads near the Blockhouse are particularly tough to travel at night, or if there's something else I should know about.

Talk to me...

I have a few days off (Sat, Nov 10 - Mon Nov 12) and was hoping to hit a few private courses I've always wanted to play:

Sat: Woodshed & Whipping Post
Sun: Blockhouse (still on the fence about this making sense logistically, as it's about 3 hrs from Paw Paw).

Probably a lot of driving, but I figure I'll drive to Paw Paw Fri night and hit both courses Sat. Gets dark pretty early this time of year which limits how many courses I can squeeze in... but increases the amount of time I'm willing to drive (wouldn't be playing new courses after the sun goes down).

Would really appreciate someone PM'ing me contact info for Gabby/Spencer at Woodshed/Whipping post....couldn't find squat on either of those course pages. Want to make sure courses are available and they're OK with me out there that day.

Also, I realize some of the roads out that way are treacherous at night for first timers (the Magnolia & Gaither roads up to Whipping Post Lane is a pretty good example). Would appreciate if anyone could tell me if the roads near the Blockhouse are particularly tough to travel at night, or if there's something else I should know about.

Talk to me...

All I know, you will be driving right by Pittsburgh. Stop by for a round on that afternoon if you can!

All I know, you will be driving right by Pittsburgh. Stop by for a round on that afternoon if you can!

The plan would be to pass Pittsburgh Fri evening... probs well after sun down. If I hit Spotsylvania Sun, I'd probably pass by the Burgh Mon afternoon on the way back... will let you know once I've figured it out.

First things first though: gotta find out how to get in touch with the owners of Woodshed/Whipping Post... ain't driving 400 miles to find out I can't play.

Woodshed/Whipping Post are always open. Gabbi and Spence are super nice. You will want to leave there at least 30 minutes before sunset, or camp there. Phone is on Facebook page.
https://www.facebook.com/The-Woodshed-Discgolf-Course-at-Paw-Paw-WV-120978857950408/

Blockhouse is no problem driving except for traffic. I'd recommending hitting Hawk Hollow(check w/ biscoe) if possible instead going that far out of the way, or go to Orange Crush/Seth Burton WV.

Yup. Burton and Orange Crush are a good set to play, not terribly out of the way either. I want to get out to those Paw Paw courses myself. You're making me wonder if Saturday, 11/10, is the day.

Paw Paw is a ton of fun. I'm about 90 minutes away so let me know if you are looking for company.

Orange Crush is a blast but a spotter can save a lot of time. I missed playing Seth Burton when we passed through but it looked fun. The Grand Vue courses (3 on site) in Moundsville WV are also a blast.

There is a nice run of courses down I-81 in Virginia - I liked Rockland and Jim Barnett the most.

Sounds like a great trip!

Woodshed/Whipping Post are always open. Gabbi and Spence are super nice. You will want to leave there at least 30 minutes before sunset, or camp there. Phone is on Facebook page.
https://www.facebook.com/The-Woodshed-Discgolf-Course-at-Paw-Paw-WV-120978857950408/

Blockhouse is no problem driving except for traffic. I'd recommending hitting Hawk Hollow(check w/ biscoe) if possible instead going that far out of the way, or go to Orange Crush/Seth Burton WV.

Hawk Hollow- Plentiful Creek (old/normal course) will not be available. New Hawk Hollow South course probably will be. Truthfully were it me I would hit something closer to Paw Paw and save Spotsy/Lake Marshall for a separate trip.

Clarks Run at Freedom Center in Lovettsville is a burgeoning top notch course not too far from Wap Wap.

Thanks everyone for the mentioning other courses courses and the offers to join me. I'd seen that Hawk Hollow was "closed for calving season- will reopen in February," but appreciate John confirming it here. Guess Hawk Hollow will simply have to wait for another trip. ;)

Need to figure out if after playing Paw Paw, whether I will:
a) drive 3 hrs and spend the night near Spotsylvania to play BlockHouse on Sun, or...
b) spend the night closer to Paw Paw and hit a few of the courses folks have mentioned above. Clark's Run is about 1 hr closer to Paw Paw, and definitely peaks my interest... :cool:

Really don't know what I would do near Paw Paw once the Sun goes down... driving at night wouldn't really cost me any DG time, but it makes my return Mon about 3 hrs longer, which means I'd be lucky to play one course on the way back home.

Staying in the area probably allows me to fit more courses into my trip.

Left a voicemail for Gabby & Spence... looks like I have some planning to do. :)

Last edited:
Within a 3 hour drive of Paw Paw you could hit:

Patapsco Valley (2:00)
Quaker's Challenge / Boulder Woods (2:20)
Mill Brook (2:45)
Iron Hill (3:00)
Muddy Run (3:10)

Some combination of these would make a logical road trip.

Or you could detour on the way to hit Grand Vue (3 courses), Orange Crush / Seth Burton and/or some of the other Pittsburgh courses (Linbrook, Two Mile Run Extension, North Boundary). Which would save a good bit of driving.

And yes, lots of wildlife but not a lot of night life around Paw Paw. :D

Last edited:
Spoke to Gabby tonight. Told her there would probably be a few others , and we're all set for Sat! I'm thinking a 9:30- 10 AM start, both courses, with a lunch break in between.

Please post here if you want to join so we know who's a yes, and who's a maybe. Here's who I got so far:

BNM... yes
armiller... yes
Jimb... maybe

Will figure out Sun & Sat in a few days, and update here. Thanks for the responses!

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the mentioning other courses courses and the offers to join me. I'd seen that Hawk Hollow was "closed for calving season- will reopen in February," but appreciate John confirming it here. Guess Hawk Hollow will simply have to wait for another trip. ;)

Need to figure out if after playing Paw Paw, whether I will:
a) drive 3 hrs and spend the night near Spotsylvania to play BlockHouse on Sun, or...
b) spend the night closer to Paw Paw and hit a few of the courses folks have mentioned above. Clark's Run is about 1 hr closer to Paw Paw, and definitely peaks my interest... :cool:

Really don't know what I would do near Paw Paw once the Sun goes down... driving at night wouldn't really cost me any DG time, but it makes my return Mon about 3 hrs longer, which means I'd be lucky to play one course on the way back home.

Staying in the area probably allows me to fit more courses into my trip.

Left a voicemail for Gabby & Spence... looks like I have some planning to do. :)

Edited, wrong thread.

Monocacy- Maybe (mostly weather dependent)

Slight change of plans. Clark's Run sound's like a good time, and I missed out on Patapsco Valley last time I was out that way.
So here's my revised (and still) tentative plan:

Sat Nov 10th: Clark's Run (meet up with Monocacy), Patapsco Valley + anything else I can fit in.
Grab a dinner, then drive toward Paw Paw/Great Cacapon to bed down.

Sun the 11th: Woodshed & Whipping Post. I hope armiller and Jimb (and maybe some others) can join me. Gabby didn't seem like she'd care if I switched days, but I'll check to make sure.

Mon the 12: Orange Crush & Seth Burton

That should be at least 6 very good to wonderful courses, leaving me about a 6 hour drive home.

Can any one tell me if Linbrook is in decent condition to play? On 10/2/18, Chris Deitzel updated course condtions:
Park has been overwhelmed with grass cutting this year at their parks because of the rain.

Seems like a helluva niner, and thought if I can get an early start on Orange Crush/Seth Burton, I might be able to meet jjtwinnova at Linbrook for a timely round. :rolleyes: Don't know how realistic Linbrook would be though. I'd probably have to leave Fairmont by 3:30 PM to get to Linbrook by 5:00-5:30 PM. Google says Sunset on the 12 is 5:05 PM. :\

Last edited:
Slight change of plans. Clark's Run sound's like a good time, and I missed out on Patapsco Valley last time I was out that way.
So here's my revised (and still) tentative plan:

Sat Nov 10th: Clark's Run (meet up with Monocacy), Patapsco Valley + anything else I can fit in.
Grab a dinner, then drive toward Paw Paw/Great Cacapon to bed down.

Google says Sunset on the 12 is 5:05 PM. :\
My course is 30 min from Ptap and its a brewery with glow golf. ;)

Sounds good! I've marked the calendar.

When plans get firmed up we can nail down details.

For Patapsco Valley I usually suggest a quick short-short round before playing the long-long ("green monster") layout. Green monster averages over 500' per hole, and 17 of 18 baskets are not visible from the tee. Way more fun to spin a quick short-short round, scouting out landing zones and baskets on the way.

My course is 30 min from Ptap and its a brewery with glow golf. ;)

Blaspheme that I am, I'm not a beer drinker... but a glow round after Ptap is sounds good good. I could bring my glow bag. :D

Caveat: assuming it's not super tough. I'm all for a glow round where I'm shaping lines on moderately/well-wooded technical fairways as long as their not too long. But a long, tough, championship type of course in the dark is a rough way to break one's "course cherry."

Blaspheme that I am, I'm not a beer drinker... but a glow round after Ptap is sounds good good. I could bring my glow bag. :D

Caveat: assuming it's not super tough. I'm all for a glow round where I'm shaping lines on moderately/well-wooded technical fairways as long as their not too long. But a long, tough, championship type of course in the dark is a rough way to break one's "course cherry."
Lol. Usually play the short tees with a putter and a driver, more Tiki than Championship. I'm hoping the soybeans get harvested by then for the top of the world tee.

Attachments

• 26240500_10215661040863104_4568311074408831705_o.jpg
    26240500_10215661040863104_4568311074408831705_o.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 18

Latest posts