• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Your Tips to Throw Anhyzer Shots

That Chinger Guy

Bogey Member
For a RHBH,

I've heard lots of different tips. Some say to remember to keep your thumb down when releasing.

Of the two, do you think it is more having to deal with your wrist flick or your body/arm motion?

Paint a rainbow
follow through low
that is all
you need to know

or

Do everything you normally do when throwing flat but just lean back at the waist.

I'm not sure if by "thumb down" you mean nose down...but I find I often have a little better success on my anny shots when I move my thumb more towards the center of the disc as opposed to along the rim. Not sure if that's preferred technique, but it works for me....
Otherwise, I'd just say you should work on your forehand...

I just use discs that are beat to hell and flip them from a hyzer. Valkyries for long and leopards for shorter distance. If I want to throw just a straight anhyzer from the tee, I switch the throwing motion to an over the shoulder lean motion starting from over the left shoulder and finishing with the snap at my right pec or so. I'm not sure what to change in the snap. I hope that didn't come out as gibberish.

For me, it's more of a slight lean back at the waist, but even more of raising my arm and pulling higher on the chest. Not sure about thumb postion, I keep it the same. But I have noticed that when trying to throw a higher anny, it's easy for me to release nose up.

So given all these tips, is the disc flat at the time of release? If you are leaning back at the waist it would naturally put a slight anny on the disc. Is this the correct idea?

I am also confused on the difference between flipping a disc over and an anhyser shot. Do you guys generally use a disc more stable for anhyser shots than you would for turnover shots? If so if I am turning over leopards, valks, and to a lesser extent beasts what disc should I use for an anhyser?

So given all these tips, is the disc flat at the time of release? If you are leaning back at the waist it would naturally put a slight anny on the disc. Is this the correct idea?

I am also confused on the difference between flipping a disc over and an anhyser shot. Do you guys generally use a disc more stable for anhyser shots than you would for turnover shots? If so if I am turning over leopards, valks, and to a lesser extent beasts what disc should I use for an anhyser?

I could be misinterpretting people here, but when I hear 'flipping the disc over' I think about an unintentional anny...where you are trying to throw straight, but maybe because of some combination of form and the disc, the disc ends up going right and not coming back...

I believe you have the correct idea as far as release angle goes...I could be a bit off the mark as some of the lingo can get a bit confusing as well...I think different people/regions may use terms slightly different...

There are some differences and often it's a bit blurry as to what we are referring to. Sometimes we'll say anhyzer, turnover, and right turn interchangeably, and probably shouldn't. Consider two ways to make a disc turn right:

1) Anhyzer release: disc angled up, above flat. Disc will start to turn right away.

2) Turnover shot: disc "flat" or even angled down, in a hyzer release, but because the disc is understable (such as a Valkyrie or Leopard) or a "beat in" version of a stable disc (like a Roc or Gazelle or Eagle) the disc will flatten out and continue to lift up and turn right.

The real difference is that one turns right away and the other will tend to have a straight portion and then turn later in flight. Which one you use depends on the shot.

It's a combination of disc type/stability AND the release that make the disc follow a given flight path.

Which disc to use...a bit more detail...

You can use any disc for any shot, really. One would naturally assume use an understable disc for an anhyzer (anny) but not always the case.

If I want a disc to turn early and keep turning, I'll use an understable or beat in version and an anny release. There will typically be very little fade back.

If I want early turn, but I want the disc to fade back, I might use a stable.

You can throw a serious S-shot using an overstable disc with an anny release. It will turn right away, but half way start to turn back.

Playing around with your discs and different releases is really the way to see what they do. You can get some really neat flights by trying different things.

Great info guys.

I was really hoping to have the question of
"Do you guys generally use a disc more stable for anhyser shots than you would for turnover shots?" answered.

So if I am using Valks and Leopards for turnovers what might be a good disc for anyzers? My concern is that if I go too stable the anhyzer will turn into a flex shot and hyzer back. Anyhyzers seem to ride such a fine line.

Great info guys.

"Do you guys generally use a disc more stable for anhyser shots than you would for turnover shots?" answered.

So if I am using Valks and Leopards for turnovers what might be a good disc for anyzers? My concern is that if I go too stable the anhyzer will turn into a flex shot and hyzer back. Anyhyzers seem to ride such a fine line.

I would go with more understable discs for your anny shots...from slow to fast, I'd say...Stingray, Stratus, Archangel, Vision, Monarch, QKII.....IMO, all of those discs are extremely understable...

Great info guys.

Beat Teebird holds annies well if you throw them over 300'. TL if you throw less.

Throwing understable discs seems to be more consistent for me than worrying about the angle. Obviously you have to worry about the angle some, but it allows me to throw more like my regular throwing motion.

Throwing understable discs seems to be more consistent for me than worrying about the angle. Obviously you have to worry about the angle some, but it allows me to throw more like my regular throwing motion.

I completely agree with this. The only time I throw a disc with an anhyzer release as opposed to a turnover shot is when I'm trying to eek out some distance and want a big s curve on a drive.

"Do you guys generally use a disc more stable for anhyser shots than you would for turnover shots?"

It depends on the shape of the shot and your ability. For some, it is difficult to throw on the anny release angle, so an understable disc can help. Sometimes, I want the shot to flex back out, sometime I want it to stay in the turn.

If you are just trying to get around a few trees to an otherwise open basket then it's not so particular.

I played a course yesterday where about 8 shots were right turns, in varying degrees of woods, tunnels, and trees in small clearings. Very challenging and well designed IMO. Designed by a left-hander, no doubt.

Some where shorter with a gradual turn, so my Voodoo on an anny was nice. Throwing a slower disc can often be an easier way to ensure it will turn.

One was a bit longer (300ish) and required that it stay in the turn, so beat Roc, thrown anny, with a hard pull (OAT) would get it turning and force it to stay turned over.

Another was a 324' slight down hill, but I had to hit a gap and then turn late. I threw a really beat Gazelle on a hyzer. It slowly flipped to flat and after about 250 started turning right. A "J" shaped shot. Would have been a good forehand hole, too, but I stink at forehands over 200 ft. The challenge with this disc, though, is that it is so beat, it can easily flip and hit on edge, turning into a cut roller and shoot 50 ft away from where it landed.

And, lastely, one where I needed to get around some trees, but the basket had woods and a dropoff to the right. So I threw a new Roc at it, anny, but wanted it to fade/flex out to "hit the brakes" and not continue turning over and land in the woods over the edge.

Your Leopards and Valkyries are fine for big annys as they will tend to stay in the turn a long time. Your Leopard may, however, turn into a roller, which you may not want. Often, stable discs will fade out a bit, so they land flatter. New Valks will come back out, but beat DX Valks will definately want to turn into rollers.

I hope this helps a bit. It may sound confusing, but it's hard to describe in words the different flights. It really depends on the shot and how far you can throw certain discs.

A Roc holds a great anny line, if you can throw it 250 or more. At 300ft, a wearing DX Roc is a turnover disc. A beat DX Teebird holds a great anny line, with no fade back, if you force it over. An 11X Gazelle is a nice s-shot disc, because it is a very stable version of the Gazelle and fights to get back to flat and then fade.

Take your whole bag out to a practice field and throw every disc on an anny release, starting with your putters, and ending with your drivers. See how they fly and how they get there. And just for the heck of it, try it on hyzers, too.

Last edited:
I completely agree with this. The only time I throw a disc with an anhyzer release as opposed to a turnover shot is when I'm trying to eek out some distance and want a big s curve on a drive.

I actually disagree. For a long time, I was trying to throw anny shots by using an understable disc and controlling the flip. I've found that this is not nearly as consistent for me as using a stable disc and controlling the release angle. The reason is simple, its much harder to control your power and other factors such as wind which effect how much a disc flips, as opposed to getting used to throwing the correct release angle.

I find that a beat tee-bird does good for annies, as someone already mentioned, but my preference right now is a Z-XL.