• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Your Tips to Throw Anhyzer Shots

For a RHBH,

I've heard lots of different tips. Some say to remember to keep your thumb down when releasing.

Of the two, do you think it is more having to deal with your wrist flick or your body/arm motion?

One thing and one thing only for throwing a RHBH anny...tilt the wing of the disc up! Coming out of your hand it will look more like \ as opposed to a hyzer release like / just less extreme than those two angles.

I've played around with annies a lot and it doesn't take any weird body movement to accomplish the flight. Just tilt the disc, the rest of your throw can be exactly the same as it normally is. Same x step, release timing, power etc.

Regarding disc selection, you can make any disc hold an anny line. I used to drive holes 3 & 4 in Canton, Ohio (Both right turns) RHBH with a max weight Firebird.

Generally the discs I use for anny drives (Assuming it's out of Wizard range) are more stable. Worn Teebird or heavier star Leopards. Super flippy discs feel less controlable for me.

These days I drive hole # in Canton, OH with a Buzz, and it works well.

I find throwing an anny with a disc that has a bit of stability can help me predict the landing better. As long as I don't overpower the throw, I can make the disc hold the anny line, then gradually straighten out as it comes to the ground. Still fading right when it lands, but the disc is about flat when it lands so it doesn't turn into a roller. That's the thing I don't like about real flippy discs, trying to anny with them will turn into a roller often.

I don't find much use for turnovers but when I throw them that's when I like a flippier disc. I have some super worn Eagles, Teebirds etc that can be thrown 325 feet with lots of hyzer and they turnover easily. Good for tight, right turning drives but not much else in my experience.

I used to lean back to get the anny angle but Im not a fan of that now. Seems like I can still keep some nose down (as good as I can anyway) by still getting my body forward and pulling the disc across my chest higher.

I just use a lot of wrist and throw...

Avenger SS for long shots
Leopard for shorter drives
Aurora SS for mid range
Putter for short

The "extra" wrist does the trick.

I used to angle my body and try weird stuff but I found if I use the exact same throw I do for other shots and just angle my wrist, that is all you need for an anny and it should provide more consistent results.

I either release it with my arm further away from my body to get the right angle, but if is a drive I just throw FH. For me, it just depends on the distance.

Step 1 pick an understable disc.

Step 2...pick a slower disc you jerk, you need to put it up to a speed faster than it is stable at.

Step 3 throw flat and fast or "paint the rainbow"

\/\/

If I'm going for mid distance (250-300ft) I generally will use RHBH and throw a Comet or Buzzz (Understable discs) closer to flat on release -- rather than a steep / hyzer release (which I would sometimes use for straighter shots due to disc turnover or flattening out). I also put some more air under the disc allowing it time to glide and level out (helps prevent catching the edge and rolling in circle).

This is what I do, works for me at this stage, but I'm certainly open to suggestions as well.

I believe it was Climo that I saw this from but, using the teepad wisely is very useful. For annys, you start bottom right on the pad and then x-step to the middle left of the pad, then complete the x-step and throw on the top right corner of the pad. Reverse steps for throwing hyzers.

get a road runner throw iflat and level and let the disc do the rest

Bingo!!! I just pick up a less stable disc and bomb it. Valks, SideWinders, Roadrunners, etc.

Why tork the body all out of wack when you have discs that do it for you.:D

I believe it was Climo that I saw this from but, using the teepad wisely is very useful. For annys, you start bottom right on the pad and then x-step to the middle left of the pad, then complete the x-step and throw on the top right corner of the pad. Reverse steps for throwing hyzers.

My buddy whos pro also suggested this.