• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Your top 5 Disc Golf DVDs

anarak82

Birdie Member
I'm thinking of buying some disc golf dvds, and the only one I currently own is Clash at Renny Gold. I'd like to pick some more up, but I don't really know which ones are better than others. So if you don't mind, list your top 5, or suggest some quality ones.

All the Marshall Street ones are good. Skylands is good. I enjoyed Snap, more of a documentary feel than highlight reel. The film quality was a bit lacking, but the playing and commentary is good on USDGC 07.

so far I've only seen the 05 and 06 Marshall Street, Clash Renny, 07 Skylands, and one of the older USDGCs...of those, both the Marshall Streets are my favorites hands down. Skylands is a good one too though, except for the awful fake-british-accented commentary on the first several holes...just plain shameful :oops:

I like the 2006/2007 USDGC dvds because of the player commentary. The 2003 USDGC is my favorite, just because of the great competition. The worlds dvd's are ok, but the open men's division is too short for me.

from the one's i own in order of favorite to less favorite:
skylands classic (yeah some of the footy is a little shakey, but the level of play... course... and thoroughness of coverage make it the best in my book)
marshall street 04' and 05' tied for second fave (good courses, good players, pretty good footy for the most part... rounds not as thoroughly covered as skylands)

one's that are okay: marshall 06' (not as good as the others because of the way they cover the rounds... more player by player throughout many holes vs. hole by hole). national tour 03' (about 8 tourneys in all... some are well covered and others are just little highlights reels. still a good one, though)

not so great: worlds 06'. just not a ton of stuff on the dvd and the final round coverage is not too comprehensive.
don't buy: "champions" USDGC 04. i just don't get what they were going for, but there is very little actual disc golf coverage on the dvd.

there's my shpeeel

Here are my top 5 dg dvds not in any particular order.
MSDGC-any year has great footage and awesome extras
Skylands-great footage and good course coverage
Clash-great course with some awesome shots
USDGC 2003-Epic battle between Barry and Climo
USDGC Lead group live 2006 & 2007-good footage and great insight from players on shot selection and mental thought throughout the round.

My Top 5 dvd's:

1: 2006 MSDGC
2: 2003 USDGC
3: Clash at Renny
4: 2007 St. Louis Open (Got this one about a week ago...watched it about 5 times already)
5: 2006 Skylands Classic

You definitely won't be dissappotinted with any of the Marshall Street collection.. (Steve Dodge does a great job at narrating.) and the 2008 Vibram Open formerly the MSDGC should be great as well. I just got back from watching Avery and Val Jenkins CRUSH the competion with some amazing rounds. CLASH at Renny is great, as well as 2007 USDGC. (Gotta love Billy Crump) Skylands is pretty good and has a TON of footage. 2005 Memorial could have really used some quality commentating instead of the annoying techno music. And 2005 Worlds aren't worth your money unless you find em on ebay for $5. :p

clash is pretty good, but my favs are:

1) MSDGC (any and all)
2) 06 Lead Card Live (USDGC)
3) Snap
4) 03 USDGC
5) Clash at Renny

I own quite a few DVD's, and of the ones I've seen, my 5 favorites are:

Clash at Renny Gold
Skylands (getting difficult to find)
USDGC '06
USDGC '07
Japan Open

I also like the MSDGC DVD's, and I own all of them. They are quite good.
I'd stay awy from the Worlds DVD's, at least 06 and 07 as they're the only 2 I've seen. The coverage is terrible, and it's full of useless graphics and sound effects and god awful commentary. I'll ship both of them for $20 paypal.

Tell me what you didn't like so we can make them better. The PDGA is forced to do lots of coverage of the Final 9 for all groups making it more of a documentary. But we can try to minimize repetition. I'm trying to get more info and graphics on the holes being played this year for starters.

If you watch any of the Euro Majors videos, done by the hyzernauts crew, that is what our dvds/coverage should look like, in my opinion.
Hole graphics, smart commentary, leader boards and multiple quality angles are all things that I like. Things I don't like include: repetitive single angle shots, lame/no commentary, repetitive music, no hole graphics, real time hole playing (ie. slow play), too many slow motion repeats.

2007 Worlds, but My favorite is no contest The Clash at Reny....My hometown guy Timmy Gill representing!!! I heard rumors that there were going to be more "Clash" DVDs. Have they come out with anymore yet?

Chuck Kennedy said:
Tell me what you didn't like so we can make them better. The PDGA is forced to do lots of coverage of the Final 9 for all groups making it more of a documentary. But we can try to minimize repetition. I'm trying to get more info and graphics on the holes being played this year for starters.

Chuck, you should include more coverage from the rounds during the week on the worlds dvd's. Watching the final 9 is great and all, but it would be nice to see some more action from the courses than just 10-20 minutes. The 2003 had the right idea, but wasn't executed all that great. I like the day by day breakdown and that type of format. Thoughts?!

The problem is cost. We had more daily updates in 2001 and 2003 because the video firm was there to do them and it was included in their bid. They are not bidding anymore because they can't afford or aren't willing to do those things for little compensation. We also had a gathering place for players to watch the daily clips during the week and we haven't had that type of setup at Worlds since then.

So much emphasis (DVD minutes) is on the Final 9 for the top divisions and at least some of the other divisions that having 4-5 cameras the rest of the week can't be justified. The MSDGC and others have gotten lots of volunteer video and "free" editing (Dodge).

While it's good for viewers, many of your favorite DVDs are not commercially viable. The PDGA doesn't have those volunteers doing the cool things you see in those videos. The PDGA has to pay for anything that raises the presentation quality or is cool which includes things like hole graphics. Despite the cost, even though these Worlds DVDs might not make your top 10, they have sold enough that they break even after about 3 years.

Latest posts