• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Your very first disc!

I actually bought a group of 16 discs from someone on Craig's List who had a bad knee and could not play anymore. I believe I paid $30 for them. If I remember, there was 3 Stingrays, some Gazelles, DX Valkyries, ect. I have traded most of them away, but I still have two of the Stingrays.

I think the best disc I ever bought was a DX Coyote. Even since then, I have fallen in love with this disc. Its a great disc to give to beginners and is a awesome midrange. I know have two Star, two Champ, and one DX Coyote.

I can't remember which I had first, but it was either a Champion Banshee (worst first disc ever) or a beaten D Wasp that my friend gave me (which was handed down from her brother, and from their cousin before him).

I used the Banshee for the better part of a year before I left it on the course. I still have the Wasp in my "disc golf closet"...never plan on using it again, just keeping it more for sentimental reasons ;)

A yellow DX beast and a White DX Valk that I bought that morning. I had no idea what the heck I was doing. The beast was a good sidearm disc at that time.

A 175 Ch. SW, then a 175 Ch. Orc

Don't have either today, but I loved em cause it started me in DG.

The first discs I bought came in a bundle from a website. It had 150 gram versions of:

Aviar
Birdie
Stingray
Shark
Roc
Gazelle
Eagle
Firebird
Valyrie
And 1 or 2 others I can't remember

The store wasn't into minimalism. The only one I still have is the Aviar because I drew a pretty cool flaming skull on it. The rest went to PIAS.

They didn't fly so well for me at first... surprise, surprise!

Sanny Roc and Metalhead Viper. I started off with "botique" discs. I think that explains a lot.

First time I heard of "Disc Golf", I tried it with an Ultrastar. This is back when the Cheetah was the new long distance driver and before all but two or three basket courses in the area were in the ground, so we were playing natural targets. Forgot about the game for years, and when I started again 3-4 yrs ago playing on basket courses, it was with a DX Shark. I still think that's one of the better single discs to get a player started.

first discs were
a dx eagle and a birdie both in the high 160 range and learned alot from both

I got a black dx shark from play it again sports when I was like 14 or 15. My dad bought it for me to throw at the beach on vacation. I had no idea what disc golf was at the time and, but I threw my shark 350 my first time out. Yeah about 350 inches! I could probably only throw that thing about 75 feet at best, and it seemed like the most overstable disc in the world, not that I would have been able to use that word to describe it then.

Don't remember what happened to it and I really can't remember what the first disc I bought when I heard of disc golf in high school, but it was some kinda driver. I really wish I knew what me and some of my buddies used to throw. We paid no attention to what type of disc they were or who made them. We just went out and tossed plastic in100 foot left curves a few times over summer break my junior and senior year. We might have been getting 150 foot left curves senior year. 8)

172gm glow dx eagle-x, 175gm pro shark, and 175gm proline rhyno. I lost the eagle within about 2 months, aced with the shark and gave it away to a new player some time later. Still have the rhyno around beat to snot, with a couple of aces, I am super comfortable with it so I put it into the bag when rocs are giving me trouble over the last 2 years or so it has been in and out, but mostly out.

masterbeato said:
OK,

what was your very first disc you threw with on your very first round?

How did it work for you?

How long have you thrown it for?

Do you still throw it/one?

The very first and only disc I learned to throw with and I threw it for the first 8 months of playing this wonderful game. Turning over.

It was a 167g DX Rhyno. I don't throw one anymore, but I know that they are solid discs, and its helped me figure the game out like mentally, course management and control. Throwing putters now are so much easier for me because of that fact probably.

I'm just curious about all of you....

Loaned disc June of 1984 as a kid's sport camp beach discs into plastic buckets on a temp wood course. Natural fairways meaning lots of branches of firs and pines. No idea of scores. Picked up the sport again 5 years ago with again beach discs. No name paper plate understable ones again :) After 2 years of playing with those the longest was about 150' on flat ground and 300' downhill on a ski jumping hill.

Dunno anymore which discs we had bought 3 years ago. I only remember a disc my friend had bought. First run Z Buzzz he used to humiliate the rest of us although we swapped discs now and then. Pretty soon after that or in the initial batch the three friends of us got an X Stratus. Not for me but it was the best flying disc for us weenie arms then. We had found a DX Eagle X that we lost later on before buying those .

No I don't throw those any more :) Except I got my own Stratus that I do use for short approaches when injuries make using high discs like putters painful. Nice straight disc for piercing some of the local tunnels.

tumpsi said:
78ft hole :D

Idlewild KY has a 146' hole that is no joke. It is toight like a tiger and has a tree on the left side that is so big it has it's own gravitational field. If you're not careful, you'll put your putter in orbit around it.

You've got to throw a perfect little flex shot to snake through this 4' wide fairway, and I believe the basket is offset to the right a little bit. Very tough to ace, not even that easy to birdie.

Got a 150 innova starter set for my birthday. aviar, shark, leopard. on like my 5th time out, with my uncle and cousins (also beginners) I shanked the leopard right into the ground 30 feet in front of the tee. Wicked embarrassed because a group of course regulars had walked up to wait at the tee. I picked it up and took my second shot, a laser that looked like it went about 500 feet (probably 250) straight at the pin, and one of the guys behind me says, "nice disc!" Been hooked ever since.

I still carry a leopard in my bag.

#1 Slice

Back in 96 Lightning was it for me, I loved that disc, and kept it forever because it floated too. I thought I was the sh*t because I was "bombing" 250ft.

I should probably track down another one for old time sake.

A cheetah that I could throw amazingly well out to 150'.

But alas, I did not have an Aviar and I could not throw the cheetah 350, guess I just wasn't naturally athletic and it probably didn't help that I didn't work out...

...bitches

pd

Depends on 'round'.

First target loop was informal objects around campus (no baskets) with a 141g World Class Whamo about 25yrs ago. It worked fine for flickerball/ultimate-lite at summer camp, and I knew it well enough for the winding campus route. First actual dedicated course came shortly later with a 165g Discraft Sky Styler, which I still have from my freestyle days. First golf disc was a Shark, which is long gone but I still have one for my heavy wind approach disc.

Latest posts