• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Z Hornet thoughts

How do Hornets vs. Vectors preform on an anny line? It seems like the vector might hold the anny better and the Hornet would have a harder S fade at the end. Im trying to decide which one to buy; and would like the one with the more reliable s curve (fade)

Welcome i'd use the MD1 for annies that don't need to flex back and fade and at least the domey Vectors come back well unless it's a stiff headwind.

limonsock said:
How do Hornets vs. Vectors preform on an anny line? It seems like the vector might hold the anny better and the Hornet would have a harder S fade at the end. Im trying to decide which one to buy; and would like the one with the more reliable s curve and fade
Vectors started to fade very soon after they left my hand, fighting out of the anhyzers at a constant pace. Hornets on the other hand have a much longer straight portion of the flight, and hold anhyzers longer for me. If I had to pick which one has a more reliable fade I'd go with Vector.

limonsock said:
How do Hornets vs. Vectors preform on an anny line? It seems like the vector might hold the anny better and the Hornet would have a harder S fade at the end. Im trying to decide which one to buy; and would like the one with the more reliable s curve (fade)

When I was using the Hornet I had a tough time with those type of shots. Compared to most mids the Hornet does not generate much lift. This is especially noticeable on the transition from turned over to flat to hyzer. It also doesn't have much glide, so many times when I was trying flex shots the Hornet was either dropping before it had time to flex out all the way or I'd hit it a little to hard and turned and it would not come out. The Vector has more glide and gets more lift during the transition from turned over to hyzer. I must admit though, and flex shot I'm throwing with my Vector now has to be worked with a significant anny release. I think it will be even better once it breaks in a little and holds a line easier while still fading strongly at the end.

I have a blue 175 Z that is doing a bunch of nothing for me. Mine was considerably more stavle than the vector I had fwiw

After seeing that you wrote you throw 350' domier VEctors may be too much for you. Flatter ones should work for the fading mid role.

I'm curious to hear more about the Hornet vs. Pain comparison. I've thrown the Ace Race Hornet (last thrown in Oct '10) and I'm looking to find something between the buzzz/wasp and Drone. Currently, I've been throwing the Sentinel, but I'm not sure if it is for me and I'm curious to know if I'm missing out on something better.

JR said:
After seeing that you wrote you throw 350' domier VEctors may be too much for you. Flatter ones should work for the fading mid role.

350 forehand, about 450 backhand, so I'd probably try a lighter flat one for lower power s curves and and a domey one for for full power mid throws. Does this sound like a good plan?

At 450' you should take a heavy flat topped one for straightish with a little fade in the end shots and domey one for assured earlier fade. Straight Vectors are around 30' longer for me.

I know I'm really late to this thread but had to chime in.

For anyone thinking about adding a Hornet to their bag I highly recommend one. Basically the best compliment I can give it is that it is quite literally the Predator of midranges.

I throw a 175 opaque orange Z. Super straight for about 80% of it's flight and with a good fade at the end, doesn't skip as nearly as much as a pred or even a Z buzzz which is surprising for how stable it is. For reference I throw mine in the 275'-300' range. I imagine it'd compliment a comet quite well.

Agreed. I bought one to test whether it could replace my sanny Q-Sentinel. It could.
It's been very reliable in all sorts if weather this spring and as a forehand player I like the grip very much.
Hopefully the fade becomes even more delayed when this creature beats up.

Yleisliima said:
Agreed. I bought one to test whether it could replace my sanny Q-Sentinel. It could.
It's been very reliable in all sorts if weather this spring and as a forehand player I like the grip very much.
Hopefully the fade becomes even more delayed when this creature beats up.

Have we met we live in the same town?

I have no idea. If we have, your secret second life as JR-man didn't come up during conversation.
I've attended to the weeklies at Tali only a few times, and my success has varied from moderate to catastrophic, so you wouldn't have seen me in the headlines either. ... We are derailing the thread a bit aren't we? Time for a diversion!

tl;dr I JUST LOOOOOOOVE THE HORNETS'S'S!

As others have said, the hornet and comet complement each other nicely.

I was at the local disc golf store a couple months ago and wanted to buy a hornet. The discraft stock was barren and all hornets they had in were in the 160's in pink and 170's in green. I usually buy midranges in heavier weights, but due to the green color, I took a risk and bought the lighter, pink hornet. Needless to say, the hornet is working great. It isn't overstable to the point where I should disc down on another, overstable disc. It's usable stability. I'm able to range the LSS for predictable shots.

Haven't had a lot of wind lately so the Hornets been out of my bag for awhile...Been throwing a pred on all the right fading(lhbh) shot
ts I'd usually be throwing the hornet on. However I think this more a testament to the versatility of the predator than anything negative about the hornet.

im with discspeed in our solidarity of hatred of the overstable mid. especially the vector.