• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Fill three 7 speed slots with Innova only, what do you choose to be well-rounded?

7 speed is obviously a strong point in innova lineup. I usually have 3 or 4 depending on wind and course. The IT is the only actually understable innova 7 driver to me, so of I had to cover the most I would use that, leopard3 for straight and the most OS eagle or tb I could find.

However my bag is all innova mfr. So I actually use an IT or a leopard1, beat up qjls, beat up and new eagle and EXPX.
Nice, I ended up discovering the IT and really loving it, it flies like people describe the leopard 3 flies and the leapard3 is kinda straight for a while as you said. At the moment I'm using from most to least stable, I ended up with four senses, such a useful speed.

Champ Eagle (can't find halo)
Halo Hawkeye
Gummy champ TL
IT

I had a champ Hawkeye that was good for Kaiser flips, but not super flippy like the IT, but I lost it and the halo star Hawkeye is kind of beefy and my TL has a nice gentle initially flip up but won't turn too much after that.

I can't not put at least 5 Innova made 7 speeds in my bag. Star Teebird is my absolute go-to get right when I need to throw it disc.
OS to US if I picked 3:
Champ Eagle X
Start TB
Seasoned Pro TB

I love all of them and my only issue is that I can never find the time to thow some, like the C-line exodus or FDs

OS to US
Eagle in current X rim or an average Teebird depending on how OS Eagle is given dome.
Leopard/3 mold depending on what plastic or plastics I wanted for a slight range in stability.
Dragon, I know 8 speed but is very easy for super US shots especially when powered hard and can for some do a backhand roller easier than discs made for being a roller like a Rollo because of Dragon disc weight around 150 grams.

Three Teebirds for me.

Beat in Star which is extremely flippy.
Two fresh Star ones of why one is really straight and one slightly OS.
Finally, Champ, although I dont find myself really using that one.

I got a Star Hawkeye in the bag in case I ever lose my beat Teebird but it is not as US and I consider just dumping that one as I cant really get a firm grasp on what it really does. It is not US enough that it will reliably fill my left to right needs and I cant rip on it as it will turn too much.

I don't really get too concerned about whether something's a speed 6 vs 7, 8, or 9. I just make sure I have the US, stable and OS slots in my bag covered for the following speed categories:
Mid
Fairway
Distance

I understand how flight ratings work, and that they are numeric, but those #'s don't necessarily correlate to specific values that are directly measurable/quantifiable.

Everyone's gonna build their bag as they see fit, but if you're gonna skip over a Leopard because it's a speed 6 rather than a 7, I think you're:

a) doing yourself a disservice
b) reading too much into flight #'s.

Not saying 6's and 9's fly the same.
Just that that you can use range of slightly different speeds to fill your fairway needs. Same for mids and distance drivers.

Three Teebirds for me.

Beat in Star which is extremely flippy.
Two fresh Star ones of why one is really straight and one slightly OS.
Finally, Champ, although I dont find myself really using that one.

I got a Star Hawkeye in the bag in case I ever lose my beat Teebird but it is not as US and I consider just dumping that one as I cant really get a firm grasp on what it really does. It is not US enough that it will reliably fill my left to right needs and I cant rip on it as it will turn too much.
Try an Innova IT next for the extremely flippy. I've had 3 (champ and halo) so far and all are very flippy out of the box, easy to hyzer flip into full S curve.

I still haven't played with anything that's pretty flip that used to be OS to see how it compares to something that flippy out of the box though.

I don't really get too concerned about whether something's a speed 6 vs 7, 8, or 9. I just make sure I have the US, stable and OS slots in my bag covered for the following speed categories:
Mid
Fairway
Distance

I understand how flight ratings work, and that they are numeric, but those #'s don't necessarily correlate to specific values that are directly measurable/quantifiable.

Everyone's gonna build their bag as they see fit, but if you're gonna skip over a Leopard because it's a speed 6 rather than a 7, I think you're:

a) doing yourself a disservice
b) reading too much into flight #'s.

Not saying 6's and 9's fly the same.
Just that that you can use range of slightly different speeds to fill your fairway needs. Same for mids and distance drivers.
I agree in general but in this case there actually is a leopard3 which is 7 speed. But I found a crave which is 6.5 speed and it was really worn in and really flippy and I could've replaced my 7 speed very flippy innova IT with it. The only reason I don't is because it's probably not normally that flippy and mvp just doesn't have as nice of a selection of F2s which I prefer to buy to save $ and try out more stuff with that saved $. Loved the lower profile feeling of the crave compared to the IT but it's not that big of a deal.

I agree in general but in this case there actually is a leopard3 which is 7 speed. But I found a crave which is 6.5 speed and it was really worn in and really flippy and I could've replaced my 7 speed very flippy innova IT with it. The only reason I don't is because it's probably not normally that flippy and mvp just doesn't have as nice of a selection of F2s which I prefer to buy to save $ and try out more stuff with that saved $. Loved the lower profile feeling of the crave compared to the IT but it's not that big of a deal.
Whatever works for you.

The way I see it, Innova's just saying the Leopard3 is a bit faster than a Leopard.
Axiom/MVP is saying the Crave fits somewhere somewhere between what they call a 6 and a 7.

Some of it is probably out of the desire to explain the often subtle differences between molds. Some of it's probably just marketing/hype.

Bottom line is, I don't think anyone needs to find a 7 speed, if they have a 6 or 8 speed that does what they want (or vice-versa).

But to one one your points:
The way something feels in your hand (e.g. rim depth, bead, wing shape, wing width, profile, etc.), can really make a difference from one player to another. IMHO, that's a more valid reason for choosing disc A, over disc B, than one being an 8, and the other being a 6.

Try an Innova IT next for the extremely flippy. I've had 3 (champ and halo) so far and all are very flippy out of the box, easy to hyzer flip into full S curve.

I still haven't played with anything that's pretty flip that used to be OS to see how it compares to something that flippy out of the box though.
you might just be the first person I have ever seen to come out in favor of the IT. The shape doesnt look too different from a Hawkeye. Might give that one a try next time I lose my orange Star Teebird

Whatever works for you.

The way I see it, Innova's just saying the Leopard3 is a bit faster than a Leopard.
Axiom/MVP is saying the Crave fits somewhere somewhere between what they call a 6 and a 7.

Some of it is probably out of the desire to explain the often subtle differences between molds. Some of it's probably just marketing/hype.

Bottom line is, I don't think anyone needs to find a 7 speed, if they have a 6 or 8 speed that does what they want (or vice-versa).

But to one one your points:
The way something feels in your hand (e.g. rim depth, bead, wing shape, wing width, profile, etc.), can really make a difference from one player to another. IMHO, that's a more valid reason for choosing disc A, over disc B, than one being an 8, and the other being a 6.
I ignore all "rated" speeds and go by the rim width.
Much easier that way and realistic.

Crave is 18 by PDGA measurements.

Now, leopard is 16mm, but oddly enough, the leopard3 is 17.

So. Theoretically that makes the crave an 8 speed, the leopard a 6 speed and the leopard3 a 7 speed.
Cause, genreally rim width -10 until you get into the putter stuff.

Latest posts