• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

My journey to 450feet consistently. Help!

Maybe a little better. Your left elbow is moving further back away from the target while your left foot steps closer targetward, instead of everything moving targetward together. I think I'd glue your elbow to your hip and just let the lower arm swing around the elbow.
Screen Shot 2024-02-02 at 6.05.08 PM.png

The camera behind tee still shows your rear knee extending and moving east/right into the plant, instead of bending toward the west/left teeside.

During last week videos I I've been fooling around with Overthrow "Forming the Whip", but I'm not sold on the idea. I'm trying to do better on my power pocket atm. Newest session I didn't focus on OT latest video.

During my newest session I could feel more of the disc that wants the disc to sling out. I felt like I was smashing the disc often, and I had to hold back the momentum to not "smash" the disc. I also feel that my plant foot is planting more to the left (view from behind).

comparison.jpg
I don't think this illustrates it very good though.

I feel that I follow more of the "Smash Factor Efficieny".
405099331_890125742908314_9153081375827942239_n.jpg
I haven't done much work with my left arm, but I'm planning on doing so. What will tucking the left elbow into my rear side result into? Faster acceleration of rotation? More momentum?

Backview:

Sideview:

Comparison to last session:

Is it looking better overall, it feels better at least?

A little bit, but still doing the funky chicken raising/flapping your elbows.
Screen Shot 2024-02-07 at 3.23.35 PM.png

I haven't been able to work on my rear arm, and how to tuck it in. I've been having a flu.

Anyways, I had some nice footage the same day you posted this video. Just haven't been in form to upload video footage before now.

Before my last session, my goal was deeper pocket.

I did work on Beto drill, where I start in the end position and also focus on getting the disc out from my body, I did work on Bryanchaus YT video where he talks about Slashing the disc. I did focus on getting my elbow out and away from my body to make space for the disc. My throw didn't feel the same, it felt different.

Comparison to last indoor session I had.

I think this look much better. What do you think?

I don't think the x-step is helping you. You keep crouching your hips and raising your arms, instead of raising your hips/whole center.

I would just start in the feet together standing upright position like GG and Johne and then turn back while striding into the plant.

Screen Shot 2024-02-10 at 6.44.01 PM.png

Hi again.

I've started doing a bit of fieldwork outside. My focus has still been deep pocket, but I feel new issues has arrived.

My first thoughts about throwing outside, is that it feels different. I have recognized that my run-up likes to drift from left-to-right, (seen from behind) which is not a problem when I'm throwing inside into a net. Any idea why this is and how to fix it? Is it worth fixing?

Drifting from left-to-right makes my gap between my "reachback" and left nipple smaller. At least I hit myself more often, but I don't know if that is the reason.

Some rant about my thoughts, trying to get a better understanding.

How do I get myself to keep myself from having a disc touching my left nipple? What is causing this? Do rotation of my shoulder start too early? If I try to rotate my shoulder on purpose, I can hit my left nipple on purpose. Is my left arm the issue? Do I need to have a wider reachback? Do I need to curl my wrist more (I've noticed when I get deep pocket and pre curl, I seldom hit myself). I'm eager to figure this one out! Do I need to slow down rotation on my shoulder?

I have noticed that my rear arm is not tucked as tight into my thigh when I get deep pocket. Right side the disc touches my nipple.
deeper.png

Season start soon, and I want to fix this issue. Can my footwork be causing this also?

I would uncurl your wrist which should give you more space. The wrist will curl on the way out of power pocket if you accelerate/change direction in/out. I'm guessing your extra pre-curl is moving the disc further ahead, but I think that is more a compensation than a real fix. Only need the wrist to move a little bit, tighter spring can load and unload more force.

I did precurl a bit before, my thoughts was that I was getting a deeper pocket. I don't want to have a compensation, but a real fix as you mention. Is it okay now, or start off even with less curl?

I assume you also show KJ because he has more of a wider reachback.

I tried changing it up a bit, and I actually like it. I tried to be more relaxed and didn't care about powerpocket this session. Having a wider "reachback" makes me feel more of a Out-In-Out feeling when I'm throwing. If I have Out-In-In motion I would probably hit myself with the disc. I didn't hit myself much the last session.

It feels like I'm getting deeper into my pocket automatically in comparison to before.

Comparing my two last session:
I have a wider reachback, less pre curl etc.

I also recorded one that touched my left nipple and went into frame-by-frame to look for differences. I think I saw a difference.
tadaa.png

Improvement overall?

I would uncurl your wrist which should give you more space. The wrist will curl on the way out of power pocket if you accelerate/change direction in/out. I'm guessing your extra pre-curl is moving the disc further ahead, but I think that is more a compensation than a real fix. Only need the wrist to move a little bit, tighter spring can load and unload more force.

Looking better? Opinion?

It looks like you don't complete the backswing. You peak reachback quite early and drop the arm disc down, instead of extending and levitating up to the top of backswing.
Screen Shot 2024-02-22 at 7.59.58 PM.png

Back home again.

I've done a few changes, I'm not sure if it is the changes I'm looking for however. What I did when I was doing fieldwork on the course, I'm not doing anymore. I have left it and the comparison is against "old" me, which was before I had fieldwork on the course.

I'm starting with the disc and elbow in a different position, and I notice I get a wider "reachback" instantly without moving my arm. My goal wasn't to get a wide "reachback", it just happened. I also think my shoulder looks more relaxed??

Do you guys agree on this? Is it looking better?

Comparison from yesterday and 3 weeks ago, sideview:

Comparison from yesterday and 3 weeks ago, backview:

Screenshot from yesterday and 3 weeks ago:
dgcr.jpg

Footage from yesterday:

Me from yesterday:

Me working on Double Dragon:
Double Dragon

Yeah, arm/disc look better. Your double dragon is moving arm/leg together instead of legs leading/pulling arm/disc swing. Note how your arm/disc is already back behind your rear leg and also note how your balance is more over toes/west. Note how my arm/disc is in front/targetward of my leg swing and my hips are hinged back deeper balanced deeper inside rear foot.

Screen Shot 2024-03-12 at 4.21.01 AM.png

What I've been focusing on lately:
I've been focusing lately on my back posture. This means I'm committing to the posture and angle my back has not change it when I land on my plant. I'm trying to keep the same angle and rather change the angle after I have landed if I want to throw hyzer or anhyzer. Also keep my right shoulder low so I don't involve it when I throw. I still hit myself at times with the disc, but I think it might because I destroy the space I've made in my powerpocket if my body posture straightens. I don't know, but just my thoughts and feel. I've noticed I throw more hyzer in comparison to before when I committ to my back angle.

Sideview from yesterday
My goal was to look at the target for as long as possible and not "care" about coiling at all. Whatever happen, happens. I can also tell that my footwork has a quicker pace and I get taller in my runup and I have more of a "fall" onto the plant into comparison. I can also see that my rear foot rotate anticlock which I think happens because this is how my body is built and it is correcting my posture?

Backview from yesterday

Sideview comparison from yesterday and last week
ex.jpg

Backview comparison from yesterday and last week

Is yesterday throw better in comparison to last week? Opinions in general about my thought process and throw. It bothers me that I hit myself with the disc.

Thanks.

I like the body motion, but your arm is collapsing in transition. Your arm/disc move ---> toward/behind your body looking behind tee, so your backswing is more wide-narrow or outside-in, instead of narrow-wide or inside-out to the top <----.

I'm not sure I fully understand what you mean, can you show with a couple of screenshot perhaps and maybe you have a video about this or a drill?

This is my understanding of what you wrote:

My arm/disc "reach" behind my body instead of away from my body. Because my arm gets behind my body, it gets trapped in the transition.

If my arm "reached" out away from body it would not be trapped? I should be focus on starting out like I do, but get it out wide (get it out left seen from behind the tee)

I assume you show KJ because he has a wide reachback and therefore he is a good man to follow, because he has severe changes in reachback in comparison?

This is the understanding that I have at the moment.

Video from yesterday:

While recording my last footage, I have not read your last comment. My focus was trying to grip harder on the disc, trying to get some sudden magic happens. I still think my throw with the blue disc is less trapped than the purple one?

Did i understand your last comment correct?
trapped.jpg

It's more about how your arm moves/swings out of the backswing or reachback into the release relative to your body overall.

If you were swinging a tennis or baseball bat like that, the weight of the bat would cause it to collapse in and hit you. You would know it's wrong right away in that case. Instead, you want to take the arm wide out away from your body like a racket or club entering the release point.

I only could make progress on this by using other tools that weigh more than a disc and figuring out what they all have in common. For many people it's too easy to cheat the move (and yourself) because the disc is so light. If you hit yourself with it it's not a big deal. If you hit yourself with clubs, hammers, bats, etc, you'll "understand" what to do much faster.

Important to teach the body that it's the "same" task anytime you do something athletically swinging or throwing. Weeks of doing this with a club also built up important new muscle memory for me. If you did your current disc move with the club you would be hitting yourself with it. Make your whole move long and moving away from your body into the release point.

QHHBT9.gif

Last edited:
Throwing objects that is heavy, and would make me scared of hitting myself seem like a good idea. Do you know of any object that is similar to a disc, but much heavier?

I have fooled around with hammers and stuff in the past, but I don't know what to look for in comparison to throwing a disc. It's been weird in the past doing so, but I'm unsure if it's because I'm having a different movement or if is because I have a hammer in my hand.

I feel I had a good session a couple of days ago (it was before you responded). It felt different in comparison to what I usually do. I had my focus having the disc at my right nipple at all cost, and it actually felt different. I could feel when the disc came into my upperbody, it skipped my left nipple and went straight between my right nipple and left nipple. In the past I could feel the disc getting in more behind me, more like left nipple.

From behind:
Left side I'm doing new me, right side I'm doing normal me.

Side view from above
Same, left side "new" me and right side I'm doing old me.

Side view
Same

Opinions? Feels better and look better in my opinion.

Much better power pocket! Looking more like Barry Schultz/Josh Anthon with the backswing.

You can still turn your shoulders further back, so that your elbow gets further back - longer swing.