• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Innova Charger 13/5/-1/2

Lol, I know right? I'm not trying to convince anyone that it's a smart idea. Just what works for me. I actually like that little ridge at the top of the wing/transition to dome. Feels good in the hand.

I should start a public benefit service where I accept people's unwanted Destrulcans, and then they can stop complaining about them.

I once was in love with an Archon, so I really shouldn't say anything.

Good looking flight, but I feel like the Charger will ultimately overlap with the Corvette quite a bit.

That exact challenge is coming up soon for me. My latest Corvettes have not been reliable into any wind. This may sit right next to my favorite one.

Good looking flight, but I feel like the Charger will ultimately overlap with the Corvette quite a bit.

Probably will have a lot of fans that don't like how wide the Corvette's rim is. Kinda like how there's a lot of people who prefer the Wraith over the Destroyer.

Looking at the profile of the Charger in the video though, its wing looks more like a conventional destroyer, whereas the Corvette looks just like a Shryke-- only wider rim.

I think the bigger overlap are the people who already have beat-in Destroyers. For them there's no reason to get a Charger. However the Charger seems like the perfect disc to buy in a pinch when you lose your beloved beat-in money Destroyer to water or something, and can slot in to your already well established Destroyer cycle.

I feel like most Vulcans are more overstable than their given flight numbers. Very seldom will you see one that's actually -4 turn.

Honestly, I feel like the Katana pairs better with the Destroyer than the Vulcan.

Yeah, I think part of it is also speed stability. If you're not throwing 500' then you don't get "true" flight numbers out of a speed 13 driver. (I certainly fall into this category!)

Interesting thought on the Katana. I only ever had one, and it was pro plastic so it got really flippy really fast. I got frustrated and gave up on it.

But that's the thing: all of these fast discs can be serviceable, IFF you're able to get some consistency with them. Like, my longest ever measured backhand was with a 158g Tern. But I don't bag that disc; the grip feels too shallow for me. And I can't reliably get that distance. It was just a fluke.

So bringing this thread drift full circle -- I'm sure the Charger could be a fine workhorse driver for some folks.

If you ever see a GStar Katana with some, grab it. There's a tweener par 3 on a course I have played for over 8 years. I have only birdied it once, and it was after my best throw ever with one. It's my longest disc into a slight head wind.

The Charger seems...fine...if you don't already throw distance drivers. If I was brand new and looking for a driver, maybe I'd like it. As it stands, LOTS of people already throw Destroyers, LOTS of people already throw Shrykes...not a lot of people seem to throw Dominators which seem pretty similar. If you already throw Shrykes and Destroyers...there just isn't much space between them. It seems to me like there are lots of Destroyers and lots of Shrykes that already fly like a Charger.

I get it, Innova's strategy seems to be "make a new disc that already does what current discs do" because they already have so many molds they can't release something new and shiny without overlap. I'm not sure I understand the reasoning for picking 2 of their most popular molds though, and trying to go right in between them where they already overlap, and where another disc already exists in pretty much that exact same slot.

That exact challenge is coming up soon for me. My latest Corvettes have not been reliable into any wind. This may sit right next to my favorite one.

Call me crazy, but I think Innova recently did something to the Corvette to make it less stable. The last couple star Corvettes I've thrown have been almost too flippy. They turn a lot, and don't make much effort to come back. They're getting into Daedalus territory.

When the Corvette first came out I thought they were more overstable. I had to actually work to get any turn out of them.

FWIW, G* Corvette is still the longest driver mold I've ever thrown. A hair finicky at times, but holy hell do they bomb.

The Charger seems...fine...if you don't already throw distance drivers. If I was brand new and looking for a driver, maybe I'd like it. As it stands, LOTS of people already throw Destroyers, LOTS of people already throw Shrykes...not a lot of people seem to throw Dominators which seem pretty similar. If you already throw Shrykes and Destroyers...there just isn't much space between them. It seems to me like there are lots of Destroyers and lots of Shrykes that already fly like a Charger.

I get it, Innova's strategy seems to be "make a new disc that already does what current discs do" because they already have so many molds they can't release something new and shiny without overlap. I'm not sure I understand the reasoning for picking 2 of their most popular molds though, and trying to go right in between them where they already overlap, and where another disc already exists in pretty much that exact same slot.

That's the thing... the Charger could end up being a fine driver. However, it'll be lost in the lineup and overlap with everything else that's so similar. I would be surprised if the Charger ever becomes wildly popular.

The Dominator just sucked. IDK why, but it did. I think it was created to be a slightly less stable Boss. The Dominator didn't glide or penetrate well, and it had a dumpy late fade. I've thrown several of them, and at no point was I impressed. Honestly, I'd say the same things about the Colossus. I don't think anyone throws the Colossus anymore.

Call me crazy, but I think Innova recently did something to the Corvette to make it less stable. The last couple star Corvettes I've thrown have been almost too flippy. They turn a lot, and don't make much effort to come back. They're getting into Daedalus territory.

When the Corvette first came out I thought they were more overstable. I had to actually work to get any turn out of them.

FWIW, G* Corvette is still the longest driver mold I've ever thrown. A hair finicky at times, but holy hell do they bomb.

Ive got a glow champ corvette which is super OS and a lustery champ which is OS...maybe just variance in runs or plastic blends...maybe a lot reasons why. Just got my 2 chargers...but they will sit until a warmer day =)

They look and feel very different to a shryke with same numbers. Rim feels more similar to a wraith for me, and the angle of the rim looks steeper than other 13+ seed discs...just feels better in my hand considering the distance between my index finger knuckles...whereas shryke and corvette are just a tad too wide to have that same feel as a wraith, charger or even a destroyer. These star chargers seem to have a fair amount of dome and the star plastic feels a little more flexible...like a queen glow star plastic almost....some gumminess but not as much as gstar.

Last edited:
My two came in, but only threw the 170. It's fairly OS for my arm and as many suspected, just looks like a stable Shryke. It's making the bag for now, and parked one hole that has been eluding me since our newest course opened. Downhill par 3 that requires a straight to fade path to get around some trees, but not too long as there's OB behind. It flew dead straight down my line and skipped left right by the basket. Yay.

I'll put this here, too.

Well, depends.

For someone with 330' power (a friend with that power threw mine several times), no real difference than a Destroyer. And not that much different than a beefier Shryke. Maybe a little more glide than a destroyer, but about the same distance and fade.

I'm not a big arm. I've got touching-400' Destroyer power. For me, the Charger adds 20+' on good pulls, and is more forgiving on release angles for flat out distance. Charger has more turn later into it's flight than a Destroyer seasoned to similar stability, and tons of glide (they all molded up domey like a pop-top Destroyer). It's what I would've liked the Shryke to be--longer and glidier, keeps turning long into it's flight, but with a nice reliable fade. And while Halo Shrykes are a bit more stable, they are all 175g, and this 167g Charger is more reliable and easier to get up to speed.

I won't be throwing any on tight holes, but on open power drives, it'll go with enough intergrity to come back and find the fairway.

I'm a fan.

I'll add that the rim feels a lot more Destroyer than Shryke, the high speed drift is more Shryke than Destroyer, the late fade is more Destroyer than Shryke.

It's got similar out-of-the-box stability to my middle workhorse Destroyer. With about 25 extra feet. Although it needs more lateral room to get there.

Last edited:
I'll put this here, too.

I'll add that the rim feels a lot more Destroyer than Shryke, the high speed drift is more Shryke than Destroyer, the late fade is more Destroyer than Shryke.

It's got similar out-of-the-box stability to my middle workhorse Destroyer. With about 25 extra feet. Although it needs more lateral room to get there.

Well I'm in trouble then if that's the case. Shryke drift with a Destroyer feel and fade gives me great hope that they've finally created a driver that I can actually consistently get S-Curve flights out of! A lot of the stuff I've thrown either turns too much or not at all, even my Grace is that kind of touchy, though that's only since it's beaten in. I've thrown pretty much every 11-13 speed -1 turn and 2 to 3 fade disc and none have held the slot long term, possibly because of form inconsistency, though the Destroyer seems to be the best one, at least for me, but they take a lot of work to get them to where they need to be. The following molds have been bombers but end up flippy after a short period Zeus, Hades, Grace, Shryke, and Trespass.

Honestly I struggle to get S-Curves with any disc, but I definitely find it easier with fairways over distance drivers, but even then it's not consistent and I've tried a boat load of 7-9 speed -1 and -2 turn discs that just don't fly like they should. Maybe I should just try and clean up my form, even though I don't see much OAT in my BH I assume there's quite a bit, or I'm strongarming it.

I'll put this here, too.

well dang, this makes me want to pull the trigger on a Charger or two.

Well I'm in trouble then if that's the case. Shryke drift with a Destroyer feel and fade gives me great hope that they've finally created a driver that I can actually consistently get S-Curve flights out of! A lot of the stuff I've thrown either turns too much or not at all, even my Grace is that kind of touchy, though that's only since it's beaten in. I've thrown pretty much every 11-13 speed -1 turn and 2 to 3 fade disc and none have held the slot long term, possibly because of form inconsistency, though the Destroyer seems to be the best one, at least for me, but they take a lot of work to get them to where they need to be. The following molds have been bombers but end up flippy after a short period Zeus, Hades, Grace, Shryke, and Trespass.

Honestly I struggle to get S-Curves with any disc, but I definitely find it easier with fairways over distance drivers, but even then it's not consistent and I've tried a boat load of 7-9 speed -1 and -2 turn discs that just don't fly like they should. Maybe I should just try and clean up my form, even though I don't see much OAT in my BH I assume there's quite a bit, or I'm strongarming it.

What's your max distance? Maybe knowing that I could recommend you something slightly understable. Have you given the Enimga a look? It would probably become too understable over time, but it starts out perfect. You might also try a heavy star Katana, if you haven't already. Axiom Mayhem and Excite are also good options.

What's your max distance? Maybe knowing that I could recommend you something slightly understable. Have you given the Enimga a look? It would probably become too understable over time, but it starts out perfect. You might also try a heavy star Katana, if you haven't already. Axiom Mayhem and Excite are also good options.

I didn't see Wraith (Star and/or Halo) listed in there, it's a tried and true and can hold up to bombers (see Gurthrie, Garrett & Conrad, James).

Latest posts