• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Millennium] Vela

@CD-

Eagle Member
https://www.pdga.com/technical-standards/equipment-certification/discs/vela
Specifications
Max Weight: 176.0gr
Diameter: 21.2cm
Height: 1.8cm
Rim Depth: 1.2cm
Rim Thickness: 1.8cm
Inside Rim Diameter: 17.6cm
Rim Depth / Diameter Ratio: 5.7%
Rim Configuration: 43.75
Flexibility: 8.07kg

First contact Helio Sirius & some Quantum tester ones are available at LVC and it looks like Calvin Heimburg is throwing a Helio one in competition.

From pictures available on the collectors FB page the profile is a mostly flat top and very blunt leading edge with a concave rim. Comparisons to a flat Eagle & FD2. The Rim Configuration measurement is higher than any other Innova molded fairway that has been approved by the PDGA.

As I stated in another thread. The Eagle3 is upon us.
Can it also be g-line, frontline, whatever term Millennium uses for Innova's g-star plastic in under 170 grams, so us regular human beings with normal ape index can use it?

https://www.golfdisc.com/news/first-contact-vela/
The Vela is Millennium's newest fairway driver and the next signature Millennium model in the bag for Calvin Heimburg. It's more stable than the JLS without being so stable that it isn't user friendly. The Vela is the perfect balance of power and finesse. The flight numbers on the Quantum Vela will be ~7 | 4 | -1.5 | 2 with the Helio version checking in at ~7 | 4 | -0.5 | 3. Throwers of the Original FD2 or Eagle should definitely try this disc out.

Interesting disc, as a Harry Potter nerd I like the name.

Helio numbers indicate a possible flat top Eagle but the Quantum looks pretty neutral. I guarantee Calvin has old flat Eagles that fly -1.5/2. I was expecting this thing to bring the beef.

Man I hope they make some 150 class velas. Are those flight numbers for Clavin or for mortals?

looks like as low as 160-164 range for the first run Q here https://shop.golfdisc.com/millennium-quantum-vela-first-contact
no luck for Helio - only max weight
https://shop.golfdisc.com/millennium-sirius-helio-vela-first-contact-calvin-heimburg

Not the greatest representation with how windy it is but some Millennium sponsored pros trying out the Q Vela and mentioned them not being as straight as the numbers so maybe Calvin did come up with the numbers.

Looks nice, very clean. No dip in the top like Eagles can have, and flat while keeping the little shoulder that gives it some glide.

Profile pic is from said collector group.

Attachments

• 332878008_3580989485478691_1348877247190976449_n.jpg
    332878008_3580989485478691_1348877247190976449_n.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 151
Seems odd that if this is really just an E3 that Innova wouldn't release it as such on their own.

I know the teebird is the honor roll student of the family but an E3 would sell fairly well.

Looks nice, very clean. No dip in the top like Eagles can have, and flat while keeping the little shoulder that gives it some glide.

Profile pic is from said collector group.

yep, kinda looks like the FD2 v3 top with a EagleX/Teebird bottom

Snagged this screenshot of the stock Quantum stamp with Calvin Heimburg's signature on it.

Attachments

• VelaStockStamp.png
    VelaStockStamp.png
    112.6 KB · Views: 137
yep, kinda looks like the FD2 v3 top with a EagleX/Teebird bottom

Snagged this screenshot of the stock Quantum stamp with Calvin Heimburg's signature on it.

I like them doubling up on the meaning of the name - the constellation, and Latin for a ship's sail. Fitting for the dude from Safety Harbor.

edit - I have a few on the way, will do a comparison shot with the 3-tool FD2s if nobody beats me to it.

Last edited:
Seems odd that if this is really just an E3 that Innova wouldn't release it as such on their own.

I know the teebird is the honor roll student of the family but an E3 would sell fairly well.

maybe they let it do a test run in millennium and retool for e3

It's a well known fact that Dave D. hates the eagle. Why else would he put the same stamp on eagle x's and l's for years and only make star eagle x's with the hideous infuse stamp on it.

I bought a couple 160-164 velas off the millennium site. I asked for as possible in the color selection. Hopefully I get a couple 160s.

I'm more curious why Millennium didn't go with the EXP 3.1 naming or something since the EXP was half Eagle (X/L bottom) with the Banshee top. The descriptions for the stability line up with how my flatter 1.1 EXP-X flies. With the Vela/Draco taking over the OS fairway slot I could see the EXP being retired from the Millennium lineup (last run was probably 4 years ago anyway). Hyzerbomb Veteran is probably out of the lineup as well (EagleX w/ plus rim).

I'm sure Innova wants the Teebird3 to occupy the stable flat top fairway slot and have the Firebird a function as the FH/really OS 'fairway' disc in premium plastics. Maybe a Banshee3 will come along to fill that short FB spot.

Wonder if we'll see Millennium standard plastic offerings for the Vela?

I'm interested to see more of this. I use JLS/Eagle and EXP X as an overstable Eagle for my 7 speeds, I know they aren't making expx anymore so I guess this is replacing it. That profile view looks pretty similar but they seem to fly less stable than exp based on team millennium vid (not going by Calvin's throws...) one thing to note is the expx 1.2 is much less stable than the 1.1 run. If they gave millennium the md4 as solstice, and infinite the cd2 as dynasty, and both the p2 as alpaca and omega4, wouldn't be surprised if they just re released the fd2 3tooled mold as the vela. I had a royal rage 1 that I lost but loved. Millennium has great pairings now with aurora/solstice at mid and jls/vela at fairway

I don't mess with my disc lineup much anymore, but I'm interested to pick one or two of these up and give them a toss.

I picked up a Helios when I was there (being the LVC)
I regret not picking up some of the Quantum version

the Millennium guys said it was a flat topped Eagle X

I picked up a Helios when I was there (being the LVC)
I regret not picking up some of the Quantum version

the Millennium guys said it was a flat topped Eagle X

That's what I'd heard as well but I don't understand the flight numbers if that's the case. Flattening doesn't always but usually makes a disc beefier. Maybe the Quantum molded up with a lower PLH.

Not complaining, flat Eagles are the shizz. Helio should be sweet cuz the Innfuse Eagles are all domey as hell.

Being flatter does make discs more stable (until the rim gets around 12 speed width) by eliminating glide as the volume of air in the cavity is reduced. So the effect of angular momentum pulls it to the side sooner. Halo/helio seems to always be marketed as more stable and that seems to hold true. How? I'm not sure. I figure the rim plastic is a bit denser but that is speculation. Perhaps they use spacers to move the plh up but really not sure

Latest posts