• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

1 Hole Tournament

Cool idea. Depending on the course, terrain, TD, etc., one could add rules, mandos, intermediate baskets as necessary.

I like the idea of a distance marathon across challenging terrain similar to the golf tournament in the OP where the tee and hole are separated by at least a couple of miles. I'm thinking there should be a swamp, mountain, thick woods, or similar between the tee and hole where one could choose straight line play with hazards or go-around routes of greater distance but fewer hazards.

The Bear Grylls Open?

I don't think the circles should be mando, I think it should be the baskets. But you should be aloud to go past the basket mando as long as you come back to it. That would be a cool game...

The reason I said circles and not baskets is that the shot after the you make the putt will have the basket in the way. No run up or real follow though. It'd be an awkward throw from a lie directly under the basket.

After reading a few of the original posts, I sat down with a map of a local nine hole course and carved it up into a one hole course. Starting with Hole 1's tee pad, you pretty much navigate the course as you normally would because this particular course I am thinking about has very defined and singular fairways. So, to play as intended, I would use baskets 1-8 (as you would putt on 9) as waypoints, or mandos. You have to fly by a designated side of the basket before making the turn down the next fairway. I came up with a par 20 for this single hole.

A secondary idea I had was that instead of mandos, you have to land within an arbitrarily determined distance of each waypoint (again baskets 1-8), likely just 15 feet, and from that landing spot you can throw to your heart's delight to the next waypoint even if it means circumventing the normal fairways (which again because of the layout of the course is not a wise choice to stray from). While you are not putting on any basket besides Hole 9, it does reintroduce approaching and precision without the nastiness of mandos and having to throw back incase you missed it. The likely par here is 28.

The reason I said circles and not baskets is that the shot after the you make the putt will have the basket in the way. No run up or real follow though. It'd be an awkward throw from a lie directly under the basket.

Yeah. This would be cool. After you make the mando, you could proceed to a designated "drop zone" for the next shot...thus avoiding the problem of having the basket in the way.

Yeah. This would be cool. After you make the mando, you could proceed to a designated "drop zone" for the next shot...thus avoiding the problem of having the basket in the way.

Now your talking, you could have the drop zone in nice flat places were your feet had good grip

Now your talking, you could have the drop zone in nice flat places were your feet had good grip

I personally have a hard time judging distance...it would be really great if they could put up signs showing approximately how far it was from the designated drop zone to the next mando area...

I just wanted to say that I love oddball tournaments/events so thank you so much jchoate7 for posting that link. Even a one hole safari from tee 1 to basket 9 (probably the longest basket) as a little side event after a tourney or something like that could be a great way to work this into an existing event or test the idea out.

I'm hoping to run a day full of a ton of fun skills sorts of events next year. I need to work this idea in now!

I just wanted to say that I love oddball tournaments/events so thank you so much jchoate7 for posting that link. Even a one hole safari from tee 1 to basket 9 (probably the longest basket) as a little side event after a tourney or something like that could be a great way to work this into an existing event or test the idea out.

I'm hoping to run a day full of a ton of fun skills sorts of events next year. I need to work this idea in now!

Yep would work well for a tie-breaker, too.

Don't know if anybody has said this in some form yet, but my idea would be this format:

1. Tee off from first tee.
2. Every basket must be holed out (9 holes). However, made putts are not recorded. So for example, if you parked hole 1, you would tap out and throw your second shot from your lie. You would be aiming at hole 2's basket now. If you ace, you get to throw from anywhere within 2 paces of the basket (throwing your first shot if you aced hole 1)
3. If you miss a putt, you putt from the new lie until you make. Your made putt's lie will be your "tee" for the next hole.
4. Lowest 9 (or 18) hole score wins.

eh? confusing?

The whole point of this is to play one really really long hole. If you have to add baskets in the middles that you have to hole out on to continue your now just playing a round of golf with multiple holes and you might as well play 18 holes. I could see maybe turning this into a there and back making it a 2 hole tounament.

I do love that original article's idea and especially if that one super long hole could have very different paths to the basket. Adding some technicality or requiring strategy is good though. otherwise it just turns into a biggest-arm competition. I think there are a number of long holes you could make up like this at Como Lake (since you look to be in the Buffalo area).

Latest posts