• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

10 yr OLD SON (ADVICE NEEDED)

MoonT4

Birdie Member
Good afternoon folks, my son wanted to start playing disc golf with me and even used his allowance and bought a started set of disc with a bag from Wal-Mart cost approx $23. The kit came with DRIVER/MID RANGE/PUTTER.

He has gotten extremely consistent with his throws with these disc but can't seem to extend his drives longer than maybe 125 ft maximum on a good day. I have watched him on several afternoons when we are not out at the local course and he reads and watches technique videos on youtube all the time. I feel he has really maxed out on the disc that he has and was wanting to go get him a nice littel set maybe 3-4 disc, but am not sure what would be best for him. He has attempted to throw some of my discs but doesn't really have much consistency with them.

My question then is this. What would you guys recommend as for as disc for helping him to develop a bit more consistency and for a real beginners set instead of the cheap set he got at Wal-Mart?

I would say get him tossing some putters and lightweight midranges and maybe a lighter weight Innova Leopard.

I teach 5th graders and we do a project at the end of the year where they throw a disc and measure the distance thrown. The best throws out of all 80 of my studetns were no more than 125 feet....so that distance is normal. Of course, over time he'll throw much farther.

I'd have him work on throwing lighter weight mids, and maybe lightweight slow drivers.

If he learns to throw rollers, he'll get MUCH more distance out of them.

First of all congrats on having such an enthusiastic son.
Secondly, those walmart discs are trash
third, I would have him try an archangel, it's a good beginner disc. Let him work his way up.
My 10 yearold cousin throws a 136 t-bone and it works out pretty well.
125ft for a 10 year old is above average, although I did have a 6 year old sink a 60' ace.

I'd get him to throw Innova lite discs. A 130g Shark would be best for his all around game, but a 150g Cheetah for a driver would work too. Get him to master 1 disc first (if he can stand to do that). He'll appreciate it-- but not til much later.

Most importantly- teach him a forehand. That's by far the best way for the majority of kids to get more distance.

And if you want to motivate him find David Wiggens Jr distance records on WFDF and his distance records videos on Youtube. Simply amazing!

My son really caught on with a 136 Shark and he is 9. I would say just get that, let him develop for a while, then look for the next disc. Otherwise, it will just be more discs he grows out of.

I would say get him tossing some putters and lightweight midranges and maybe a lighter weight Innova Leopard.

Thanks, that is what I was thinking, I told him to look at the disc's available in the under 7 SPEED range.

He told me, "Daddy, don't you think it is time I got some real disc's instead of just these cheep ones?" So, to reward his dedication, I want to get him a decent set, but I also know through my own struggles, that buying the latest greatest new disc on the market is a waste of space in the bag as he won't be able to fully throw them just as I am not able to.

Anyway, thanks again for the reply.

I teach 5th graders and we do a project at the end of the year where they throw a disc and measure the distance thrown. The best throws out of all 80 of my studetns were no more than 125 feet....so that distance is normal. Of course, over time he'll throw much farther.

I'd have him work on throwing lighter weight mids, and maybe lightweight slow drivers.

If he learns to throw rollers, he'll get MUCH more distance out of them.

Thanks for the reply and advice.

Since I am getting alot of replies so quickly, let me just post once to say thanks for all the advice. I will look at the lite innova discs suggested and will attempt to have him master one at a time prior to buying more. Heck I can always just let him throw some of my older and lighter weights aswell for a variety for him.

Thanks again all of you.

Since I am getting alot of replies so quickly, let me just post once to say thanks for all the advice. I will look at the lite innova discs suggested and will attempt to have him master one at a time prior to buying more. Heck I can always just let him throw some of my older and lighter weights aswell for a variety for him.

Thanks again all of you.

Well, I got my son the 136 Shark for throwing, and also handed him down some discs I dont use anymore from time to time because they look cool, but he still just throws the Shark outside of messing around.

I agree with the lite discs - the Shark from 136 up, Leopard from 125, Polecat from around 110. You might find light Roc's or an Ace, too. I especially recommend the more understable shark and leopard until he starts to flip them. Then go to more overstable molds.
Innova does the most with light discs, also having 150 class discs in many molds. Discraft has only a few and though limited in choice, DGA's "RDGA" 150 class discs are good solid choices for low power throwers. Gateway makes light discs in many of it's molds including the putters they are best known for. Millennium does 150 class in most of its discs.
For a putter, I believe feel is most important, so while the polecat is a fine putter, if it doesn't feel right in hand, it is better to go with a 150 class in a model that feels right.
If you are having trouble finding what you want, PM me, and I'll try to help from my (TnT Discs) inventory.

Also, try to find some EDGE discs. They're VERY lightweight. My son has an EDGE Ace, and it's maybe only 110g or so.

Good mids would be light weight sharks, Ching legacys, and buzzz's.

The legacy is a great mid, and if you could find one in your area it's worth picking up. Quite a bit of glide, driver like profile (but still a mid) and 0 stability. It's actually right inbetween the shark and the buzzz on Joe's Flight chart.

Well, I got my son the 136 Shark for throwing, and also handed him down some discs I dont use anymore from time to time because they look cool, but he still just throws the Shark outside of messing around.

Sounds like a great plan then, I will go find him a shark and then give some hand me downs. Then as he gets better I will get him more new ones. At what point would one say he has out grown the shark?

A buddy of mine is recommending possibly a Stingray or Stalker. What do you guys think of that?