• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

10 yr OLD SON (ADVICE NEEDED)

Where are you father son pairs located? My 11 year old and I will be takin a long weekend trip to play disc golf this summer, we live in Minneapolis, thinking of either playing a bunch of the outstate MN courses, or trying to find somewhere else, would love to meet up with some DGCR peeps, get a round in, especially another father son team.

Where are you father son pairs located? My 11 year old and I will be takin a long weekend trip to play disc golf this summer, we live in Minneapolis, thinking of either playing a bunch of the outstate MN courses, or trying to find somewhere else, would love to meet up with some DGCR peeps, get a round in, especially another father son team.

We are just outside of Austin, TX.

some people have already said it , but a shark or a skeeter is a good first disc for midrange, and i agree with the arc angel as well for a driver.... any putter will work if your just learning. its really cool that you want to help and support your sons disc golf needs....

My son is 9 and plays with me a couple of times a week. Here are his favorite discs:

Cobra--he has 2 (128g and 139g)
Leopard--one DX at 140g and one champion at 150g(well beaten in by me prior to passing it down)
Buzzz--2 of the lite Buzzzes referenced above purchased from GGGT
ROC--DX at 145g

For some reason, he doesn't like either the Shark or Stingray.

There is nothing like playing with your son/child. He's my favorite playing partner.

Other great beginner discs:

Skeeter
Impact (they make these in 150)
Aero

I'd get him to work on those putters big time. If I was 10 and could learn how to crank a putter out to 200', I'd be a monster by now.

I have a 150 shark in great shape I'd let go for super cheap. I also have other beat beginner discs I'd be willing to sell super cheap if it's for kids

I wud suggest camping @ highbridge. Make a wknd of discgolfing and survival skills.
You bring ur food/gear in. -survive..
Take ur trash out
shower when u get home.

Now thats bonding.

As for the discs.. R-pro boss takes a lickin and them young'uns love the extra footage.

I have a 150 shark in great shape I'd let go for super cheap. I also have other beat beginner discs I'd be willing to sell super cheap if it's for kids

When you say Super Cheap for kids, PM with prices for what you got please.

Other great beginner discs:

Skeeter
Impact (they make these in 150)
Aero

I'd get him to work on those putters big time. If I was 10 and could learn how to crank a putter out to 200', I'd be a monster by now.

Impact would be a good idea. Its a good longer Mid/short fairway.

When you say Super Cheap for kids, PM with prices for what you got please.

Will do soon as I get home tonight- I can send pics too. Pm me your email, prices will be mostly based on shipping so it really depends what you want

I wud suggest camping @ highbridge. Make a wknd of discgolfing and survival skills.
You bring ur food/gear in. -survive..
Take ur trash out
shower when u get home.

Now thats bonding.

As for the discs.. R-pro boss takes a lickin and them young'uns love the extra footage.

We thought about Highbridge, and I might be going there with some friends another time, but it is a bit over age for my son, he loves BLue ribbon pines but only plays about 15 of the holes before it gets too hard, highbridge with a bunch of walking would be too much for him I think.

Update on my son for those interested

First off, he looked at this thread, and reminded me he is now `11 and hasn't been 10 since back in October. DOH, did I feel like an idiot.

Anyway, so we went over to Disc Nation on Saturday morning on our way to Circle C, he walks in the door and see's the used disc rack and immediately starts to rummage through them, comes across a tie dyed Valkryie and begs and pleads that I get it for him, so I bought it for him, heck it was only $8.99 and had no scrapes or scuffs, so what the heck right. A buddy of mine sold him a 167 SHARK for $ .60, enough to buy a soda at work.

He didn't like the shark much, I am thinking cause it isn't all fancy, but he can throw it rather well. The Valkryie that I got him can be thrown rather well also in the sidearm FH method, but he just doesn't have the arm to throw it back hand. But he was real excited by his throws over the weekend with the new stuff.

I have to offer out my thanks to all of you that gave your advise and opnions on this here thread.