• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

100 Putts a Day?

How many putts per day

• 100 +

Votes: 11 16.4%
  • 75 +

Votes: 4 6.0%
  • 50 +

Votes: 12 17.9%
  • 25 +

Votes: 14 20.9%
  • Why ?

Votes: 26 38.8%

• Total voters
I slacked off on practice for a while, but recently got back on track. I have 10 Classic aviars in a bag next to the back door. When I let the dogs out after work I go out and do 10 sets of ten. I mix up the footing, obstacles, slope, and distance as much as I can. Then I usually do a couple rounds of 10 upshots back and forth between my 2 baskets and putt out all the shots.

I have definitely noticed I am close to back on track for putting. There was a time in the winter/spring where 45' was the edge of my comfort zone, I'm back to feeling good inside the circle but need to keep it up to get back to where I was.

Sounds like a sure way to get better. I go in fits and starts, so i guess that is why my putting is inconsistent as well.

Full disclosure: I'm not very good at putting.

I practice 3–4 days per-week and I go over 100 putts each session. I do the Nate Sexton routine. Two discs. Start at 5 steps from the basket. Make two, move out a step; make one, stay where you are; make zero, move in a step. Rinse and repeat.

I've improved a lot but I'm only in my second year, so maybe that would have happened anyway. But it's becoming clear I need to spend more time on different stances. Like others, I find that in an actual round, I don't actually get to use the stance I spend so much time practicing.

I don't practice putts every day, but the days I do practice putts, I do at least 500 or so.

This is the foundation of my putting practice philosophy: 15 footers...lots of 15 footers. He gives a shoutout to the old Discraft putting confidence program. I say foundation because I also practice other stances, wind conditions, elevations, etc. But this is the bread-and-butter, punch-in and punch-out, if you do nothing else make sure you do this part of putting practice.

At 0:47 is what I would say is the average pace for high volume putting. It is a pretty quick pace, but at the same time, you aren't just mindlessly throwing them out there. You are feeling all the components: weight shift, timing, release, follow through, etc. and you are doing so at a very high frequency. Eventually you will get to a point where you quickly know when you did something wrong and will have a good idea whether the putt will go in or not before the putter even gets to the basket. It may look like an automatic motion, but it isn't; the accumulated time spent deliberately practicing the particular skill of putting will make you keenly aware of every aspect of the putting motion.

I got a couple old hockey equipment sacks filled with Wizards, maybe 350 of them. I clip a 60 foot rope to my practice
basket and into my old rock climbing harness, tie on a blindfold and putt and putt and putt. The rope helps me with blindfolded alignment AND ensures I don't fall off the edge of my flat earth. Safety is no accident.

Seriously, I am the Barney Fife of Putting. Imagine if you will, Barney Fife putting. I am that shaky.

I have an acre in the country, a couple of baskets, and plenty of trees, bushes, and shrubs, so I mix up my routine regularly. My putting percentage drops off quickly at ~20' so I tend to concentrate there after getting my confidence up with some 10-15 footers.

Every day is a different putting game to keep it interesting and fun. I just want to hit the 100 putt mark each day.

I think that throwing x number of putts per day and concentrating on a range at which you're comfortable is useful, but only up to a point. I think it is common, and I had this issue for some time, to get to a point where you make almost all your putts from a short range but at longer range find that you have a significant drop off in percentage of putts made that is difficult to improve upon. Say you make 85% from 20' but from 24' you never get much better than 60% even with all the practice in the world.

I had this issue for a long time, making almost everything from 20' and in and seeing a big drop off every foot farther removed from the basket. While confidence is very important in putting, putting is not "100% confidence" as some people are given to saying. There are some physical mechanics that you need to get the putter into the basket from longer range and the range at which you need some extra momentum is a little different for everyone.

For me, my weight shift wasn't very good. I was missing 25-33 foot putts because I simply wasn't getting them to basket all the time or was adding too much loft to get them to the basket causing serious inconsistency. So i went back to my comfortable range and started paying attention to the quality of my makes, not just whether they went in. Am I smashing the chains or are my putters creeping over the rim? I addressed my weight transfer issues at close range and then started moving back, finally seeing progress at the outer edges of the circle.

Now I practice more when I feel like i need a tune up and less when I am putting well. When I practice I'm just paying attention to how crisply I am delivering the putter to the basket, not counting how many I've thrown. Getting my mechanics to a point that I could leave them alone and stop constantly tweaking them has also helped my confidence a bunch.

Check out the Perfect Putt 360 app on the App Store..
Available on IOS and android. Costs $.99 but might help keep your interest up.

Latest posts