• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

12 inches of snow in Oklahoma City....

Lucky4

Bogey Member
...as of 6:00 PM CT. A state of emergency has been declared in all of Oklahoma's 77 counties. Guess I won't be getting any rounds in over Christmas. The snow doesn't bother me, but the ridiculous wind is out of control....

Here's a drift between my house and the neighbor's:
CIMG0134.jpg

Oh well. I can practice putting in the house at least. :p
CIMG0132.jpg

Glad I found this site. It has been quite helpful and informative. I wish everyone a safe, happy, and ace-filled Christmas.

Holy crap! I can't imagine that much snow. Also, that is a cool looking basket.

That's nothing more than regular snow....keep that around; and perhaps add to it all winter....and then, you got something.

It's definitely odd for these parts. So far, 14.1 inches. A new record for Oklahoma City. All the interstates have been shut down and there are hundreds of stranded vehicles. The day began with about 4 hours of freezing sleet before the snow hit, so you can only imagine the road conditions. People have been opening their homes up for strangers that have been stuck out in this crap. It's nice to see a little Christmas spirit out there.

The snow really isn't the problem now. It's the wind; 32 mph out of the NW and a zero degree wind chill. The snow has stopped, but with the wind it still looks like a blizzard out there.

I see how in parts of that photo, the grass is showing, and other parts, it's 3 feet deep. It would take a lot of wind to do that, I'd imagine. Looks like you're going to have a White Christmas, for sure, though probably not as you were dreaming of one. I wish I could have a White Christmas just once in my life, though probably not like that. Stay careful out there.

zero degree wind chill....that's nothing....try keeping that around for a couple of months....
and walking uphill....barefoot....to school....with nothing but snow melted water, and rock stew in your belly....lol
Yeah, it's rough when you're not used to it. Stranded vehicles always kind of give the Armageddon feel to the area.
Georgia closes up the highways when it rains hard, for pete's sake. lol I lived in Atlanta for a couple of years in the Army. During the winter; it's nice to have to only wear a coat for a month or so....and not a parka, but just a regular coat. Summer's there are tough though....clothes all stick to you.

Yeah I was thinking no big deal as well...12" and everything shuts down?? I couldn't imagine...

It's definitely odd for these parts. So far, 14.1 inches. A new record for Oklahoma City. All the interstates have been shut down and there are hundreds of stranded vehicles. The day began with about 4 hours of freezing sleet before the snow hit, so you can only imagine the road conditions. People have been opening their homes up for strangers that have been stuck out in this crap. It's nice to see a little Christmas spirit out there.

The snow really isn't the problem now. It's the wind; 32 mph out of the NW and a zero degree wind chill. The snow has stopped, but with the wind it still looks like a blizzard out there.

i feel for you dude arkansas gothit to and we have not seen snow like this in forever! those winds are really what made the ice get out of hand there is a solid sheet everywhere outside

12 inches of snow in oklahoma and we have been getting rain since about 2PM today in Milwaukee. Damn El Nino!

those winds are really what made the ice get out of hand there is a solid sheet everywhere outside

Yeah. Snow = no problem. Ice & wind = not so much.

Maybe the National Guard will fly me over to my home course tomorrow so I can get a round in anyway. :p

Here in southern minnesota the snow is just getting ridiculas. Its been snowing since tuesday off and on I think we racked up about 20 inches so far and its suposed to snow till sunday. The week before we got 10 inches from another blizzard. hopefully I can get some pics up sunday of all this snow.

p.s. this is rare even for minnesota

This is what the weather was like in the DFW area today. Not as impressive snow as other parts of the country, but quite the contrast to yesterday when it was in the 70's and I was playing in shorts and a t-shirt. That's the great thing about TX weather, if you don't like it just wait five minutes, it'll change.

Attachments

• DSCF1472.jpg
    DSCF1472.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 22
Yeah I was thinking no big deal as well...12" and everything shuts down?? I couldn't imagine...

It's probably not so much the snow that's the problem, but all of the ice that's underneath. That gets slippy. I do have to say though, that in Wisconsin 14'' of snow doesn't come close to shutting our interstates down.

We got beyond lucky where I live, as there's barely a dusting strewn around the street curbs here. Its as though the storm split into two and went around both sides of us.

OK and TX got hit hard to the south and my relatives up north in Nebraska all got hit hard. My dad had to call somebody to shovel out their driveway because its 18" deep and they have drifts so tall, you could sled off of roofs.

But man the wind. 30 MPH sustained for like three days now. It ripped part of the roof off my brother's front porch and they had to quickly patch it with tarps, and secure the tarps with nailed down 2x4's and a bunch of keystone blocks. Even with that, the wind was moving those blocks around a bit.

I lived in OKC for three years when I was a wee tike. I remember one snow nearing an inch and that was melted by 10 in the morning. I remember a few wicked ice storms though...half inch coating everything. I've played a few snow rounds but I've never done an ice storm round. I'm thinking ice shattering all over if you're the first one to hit the chains might be pretty cool.

I just drove back from Iowa for the holidays and had to drive through the whole state of OK on the 27th. It took 31 hours of continous driving to get back to Phoenix. Saw bunches of cars in the ditch and a multi car accident happen right in front of me on the interstate.

Okay, It's supposed to snow a bit again today. The problem lies in the state and citys not being equipped for winter weather. Add to that a bunch of pseudo southerners trying to make christmas deadlines and you get havoc and chaos. Each day the snow melts more and then re-freezes again at night thicker than before. The state just doesn't have a means to clear it. Frustrating.

Latest posts