• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

14 Hour SeaTac Layover !!!!

Mr. Butlertron

* Ace Member *
Gold level trusted reviewer
I'll be traveling from Tokyo, Japan to Pensacola, Florida with a 14 hour layover in between at SeaTac on Thursday the 27th of April. The plane lands at 0930, which probably gives me a solid 6 or 7 hours of daylight to do some chucking after I get through customs and rent a car.

My course priority list is Lakewood King County Park, Lake Fenwick Park, and if there's time (wishful thinking) maybe White River. I could potentially be persuaded to throw Fort Steilacoom instead of those 2 or 3, but I'm kind of worried about straying too far from the airport. DGCR #36 Bag Tag will be available for swapping as well.

Chasing courses on a Thursday is probably a deal breaker for most, but I thought I'd give it a chance and hope for the best. Thanks

...My course priority list is Lakewood King County Park, Lake Fenwick Park, and if there's time (wishful thinking) maybe White River. I could potentially be persuaded to throw Fort Steilacoom instead of those 2 or 3, but I'm kind of worried about straying too far from the airport. DGCR #36 Bag Tag will be available for swapping as well...

Local SeaTac guy here. Welcome and hopefully, well met, as I will try to meet up for a round if circumstances allow and you want company.

I would suggest replacing Lake Fenwick unless there is a personal reason to visit. It is notoriously difficult to navigate for any but serious hikers under good conditions. Trails are narrow and steep. Add in huge drainage issues (think ankle deep bogs everywhere) and our wettest winter since 196x, and you get pretty much unplayable, at least right now.

White River, on the other hand, drains beautifully and is hands down a much better course. 20-30 minutes from the airport at 1600 hrs today.

I haven't played anywhere else here in Wa, but check weather and course conditions regardless.

I spent a summer in Seattle a few years back. Lakewood, SeaTac, and White River were my favorites. Each one offers a completely different terrain and style of course.

That's a bummer about Lake Fenwick, it looks like such a unique course. Your insight is truly invaluable. Meeting up sounds great, I just made my travel plans and will probably immerse myself in the researching of local area courses before finalizing on a schedule.

That's a bummer about Lake Fenwick, it looks like such a unique course...

It truly IS unique. Unfortunately, due to difficult topology, lack of maintenance, and a fairly crime ridden neighborhood, it is not even on the C list (even though it is my closest course).

Let me know where you decide where to go...

So, your gonna pretty much fly over the Seatac course at about 200' off the deck when you fly into Seatac airport, its 27 hole layout is probably one of the best in the state, and it will take you maybe 5 minutes to get to from the airport, and you're not gonna go throw there ? #headscratcher #playarealpar81 #thenotoriusmachxbaskets

So, your gonna pretty much fly over the Seatac course at about 200' off the deck when you fly into Seatac airport, its 27 hole layout is probably one of the best in the state, and it will take you maybe 5 minutes to get to from the airport, and you're not gonna go throw there ? #headscratcher #playarealpar81 #thenotoriusmachxbaskets

I was thinking the same thing but it looks like he's trying to bag some courses he hasn't played yet.

I was thinking the same thing but it looks like he's trying to bag some courses he hasn't played yet.

Bingo. I really liked SeaTac my last time through, but I would like to pad the stats a little bit :thmbup:

My course priority list is Lakewood King County Park, Lake Fenwick Park, and if there's time (wishful thinking) maybe White River. I could potentially be persuaded to throw Fort Steilacoom instead of those 2 or 3, but I'm kind of worried about straying too far from the airport.

Lakewood is, quite literally, a walk in the park. There are some decent elevation changes, wind can be a factor, and there are some angled greens to watch out for. Bunch of practice baskets to warm up. Overall a good course to start on.

Lake Fenwick should be playable. I played it multiple times last week while wearing basketball shoes. It is really only a couple of holes on top of a hill that can have tricky footing. Depending on which course is a higher priority for you, there's a couple ways to go: check it out, and if you don't like it, you're halfway to White River anyway; -OR- go to White River and come back to Fenwick if you have time on the way back to the airport.

White River is my favorite of the three. Lots of line-shaping opportunities through trees, a few wide open throws. Red and Blue tees to try and hit different lines/gaps. Mandos Pro Shop is nearby in case you want to shop for some gear.

SeaTac is my favorite course in the area, but sounds like you're looking to hit up the others.

Steilacoom is a nice 45 hole complex but between the driving distance and potential traffic to/from the airport plus the three courses (NW, SE, Ray's 9) it would probably eat up most/all your time.

If I were planning to play during that layover, I would go to Lakewood first, then make the drive to White River, then hit up Fenwick on the way back. Some decent places to eat along the way too.

I'm actually looking at something similar, but in the first weekend of April. I'll probably do an overnight before I drive out. I can report back if I play any of those courses.

I'm actually looking at something similar, but in the first weekend of April. I'll probably do an overnight before I drive out. I can report back if I play any of those courses.

I'm seriously going to try dude...

That sounds great, thanks

I'd like to stay the weekend and probably would normally do that, but I have a cat in tow. Traveling for 48 hours is going to be rough enough on my little pal. Luckily, there's a kennel near Lakewood where she can get groomed and rest while I dg

If I were planning to play during that layover, I would go to Lakewood first, then make the drive to White River, then hit up Fenwick on the way back. Some decent places to eat along the way too.

I agree with all your assessments, the one thing he might consider is playing WR first and saving Lakewood for last if timing to the airport is an issue. Traffic in and out of Auburn can get clogged up, whereas getting to the airport from Lakewood is usually pretty smooth sailing.

I agree with all your assessments, the one thing he might consider is playing WR first and saving Lakewood for last if timing to the airport is an issue. Traffic in and out of Auburn can get clogged up, whereas getting to the airport from Lakewood is usually pretty smooth sailing.

Yeah, that's a good point that crossed my mind, but OP said 14 hour layover starting at 0930, so it seems the real time constraint is daylight. Still, it is another good option to consider, especially to avoid sitting in potential traffic.

I actually have multiple things working against me. The internets says the sun sets at 8ish, but in reality I still have to finish much earlier than that if I want to catch me flight. The cat kennel pick up, rental return, and early check-in for the feline friend at a separate location than my regular luggage check in will eat into my daylight allowance :(

Lakewood looks like a neighborhood course, could that mean it might be more crowded on the course in the evening?

...The cat kennel pick up, rental return, and early check-in for the feline friend at a separate location than my regular luggage check in will eat into my daylight allowance

Can I inquire as to why you wish to board your feline friend in Lakewood? It is, by far, the most distant location from Sea-Tac on your itinerary (30-36 mi, 60-90 min) and limits your choices. Boarding your kitty in Sea-Tac or Auburn will reduce your overall drive time considerably.

Given that April is still a ways away, can you board her elsewhere? If so, I will find a safe haven for her. We love cats (almost as much as Brittanys).

I'm pretty sure he's talking about Lakewood Park, not Lakewood, WA. It's not the first time that the similar names have caused confusion. Lakewood Park is only about 15 minutes from the airport.

But to answer OP's question, Lakewood can get crowded, but it's typically not too bad during the week, especially in the spring. More often its the kids from the nearby schools wandering around that cause slowdowns. That being said, it is the most beginner friendly course around, so there can be some slow groups at times.

White River can get crowded too. I rarely play it because weekends are usually the only convenient time, and experience has taught me it gets packed on weekends. I imagine you'll likely be OK on a weekday though.